Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Vintage Stetson

jpbales

Practically Family
hey all,
I just picked up this Stetson straw from a local antique store and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. It's made of gray straw (my guess Milan), and has the Stetson Logo (all in black) and says "Stetson Medalist." It also has a store logo which says "EMPSALL'S/ MEN'S STORES Inc./ 35 Public Square WATERTOWN N.Y." The size is 7 3/8 and there is a store tag that has a price of $5.00 on it.

Of course, there are pics :D

TopSideAngleBrimDown.jpg

Here's the weave pattern:
WeavePattern.jpg

Here's the Stetson Logo:
StetsonMedalistLogo.jpg

Fi' Dolla':
PriceTag.jpg

What do you all think? Any age estimations are appreciated.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
IMO

jpbales said:
hey all,
I just picked up this Stetson straw from a local antique store and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. It's made of gray straw (my guess Milan), and has the Stetson Logo (all in black) and says "Stetson Medalist." It also has a store logo which says "EMPSALL'S/ MEN'S STORES Inc./ 35 Public Square WATERTOWN N.Y." The size is 7 3/8 and there is a store tag that has a price of $5.00 on it.

Of course, there are pics :D

TopSideAngleBrimDown.jpg

Here's the weave pattern:
WeavePattern.jpg

Here's the Stetson Logo:
StetsonMedalistLogo.jpg

Fi' Dolla':
PriceTag.jpg

What do you all think? Any age estimations are appreciated.

IMO 1950's vintage, has a Sinatra look to it! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

duggap

Banned
I wonder if the title Medalist is a reference to the golf crowd. I remember Sam Snead wearing a hat that looked just about like that one. Middle fifties maybe.:)

jpbales

Practically Family
here's what I've deduced so far from my research...

The earliest the "Medalist" term was used by Stetson is 1938.

The $5.00 price tag suggests an earlier date, around the 1940's. Of course, it's possible that it was just a cheap hat ($5.00 was on the cheap side for a hat, even in 1940)

The style of the hat suggests a later date, around the 1950's.

The store it was sold from operated from 1900's to the 1990's, so that doesn't help at all.

The size tag resembles several 1940's models, with the name Stetson written above the size number.

The leather sweat resembles several others dated in the 1940's time period.

So my conclusion, for now, is that it was probably late 1940's based on all of the above information. Maybe a 40's-50's transition hat, or maybe it came out a little sooner than most of the rest of the stingy brims.

What do I plan on doing with it? Well, it's in AMAZING condition, apart from some slight wear on the finish of the sweatband, so I plan on leaving it "as is." It's a size too small, and it's not a LO either, and it's not my style- so I don't plan on wearing it. I'm probably going to put it up for sale in the classifieds. No point in me hogging a hat I can't even wear- I'll give it up for someone else to enjoy. I could have just as easily left it in the antique mall, but apparently no one there wanted it- and I knew someone out in cyberspace would.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey, jp.

I think it's good when one of us grabs one of these, regardless of size and offers it for sale to the others.

I believe the "Medalist" model name had to do when hat companies would place their products in competitions and win medals. Note the image of medals and references to prizes in the crown logos and on the sweatbands of other vintage hats. I believe that name was used as insignia on various types of Stetson hats long after it literally applied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24