Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie -- fedoras on short guys (5'7" and shorter)

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone -- this is my first post, but I've been lurking for about a month or so now. I've thoroughly enjoyed this forum and reading the expert guidance on classic jackets and hats.

I've never owned a fedora before, but I have a Indiana Jones-type fedora (5 1/2" crown, standard brim dimensions I believe) on order through Jimmy Pierce.

I'm curious what you experts think about fedoras on shorter, smaller guys? I'm 5'6" and 135 pounds. Can I even pull this off without looking stupid?

Thanks,
Steve

Chaperon

New in Town
Welcome !

I'm 6'3" and abt 200 lbs. I find I look better in a fedora with a wider brim. I have a long face shape so I think the wider brim helps balance that.

Everyone looks good in a fedora! I'd try on several with an honest assitant present - you'll find your "right" look, or probably several things which look good. Happy wearing!!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
top_cook.jpg

Elisha Cook Jr. was a smaller fellow, and he wore fedoras quite well in many Golden Era movies like The Maltese Falcon.

For that matter, Bogart wasn't exactly a giant either.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Steve, IMHO, I think you will find you look better in stingy brim (<2") and lower crown (<4"). A 'big' hat will give your overall profile a 'bobble head' look. Sinatra always wore stingy brims with a low crown. Conversely, big guys can look ridiculous in a 'little' hat. Think Oliver and Hardy.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tony in Tarzana said:
Elisha Cook Jr. was a smaller fellow, and he wore fedoras quite well in many Golden Era movies like The Maltese Falcon.

For that matter, Bogart wasn't exactly a giant either.
Excellent point. Look to James Cagney a giant in poise, but diminutive in stature. The man looked great in a fedora.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good to see you here Steve.
Yeah I think you can find a combo that will look good on ya'.
In the beginning I thought that wider brims were my thing. But over the course of time I have come to the conclusion that my ideal brim width is from 2 3/8- 2 5/8. ( I am 5, 10" 175 with rather a long face, Herman Munster-esque)
Believe me, I was as surprised as anyone.
Go to a bricks & mortar retailer & find what suits you by trying on a variety of crown heights/brim widths. Even still, I'll bet the process of refining what best complements you will take a bit of time... did with me anyway.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Steve, did you know The Chairman of the Board was 5'7"?

1158388757.jpeg

By the way, I forgot to say, "Welcome to the Lounge."

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Welcome Steve! Anyone, male or female, of any size, can look better in a fedora.

EricH's pointer to the Miller Hats site is on target. Better-suited hat dimensions has as much to do with head shape as body size.

And Rick's advice to try on different hats would be an excellent follow-on to reading the Miller page and looking in the mirror. Then you have some ideas to base your opinions on. The only suggestion I would add is, when trying on the hats, wear something you intend to wear when wearing a hat. Bring a change of jackets or styles.

I think someone should write some software to let people put their face on the screen and try on different "virtual" hat shapes and sizes. Wouldn't be hard...

mingoslim

Practically Family
Welcome to the Lounge . . .

My thoughts on your concerns are this . . .

Try on hats you like . . . If you think they look good on you, then wear them. If not, then pass . . . It really is that simple. Forget about any rules. Wear what you like on you!

I have had some great hats that I have cast off because, nice as they were, I didn't like the look on me as far as I was concerned.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
I started wearing a hat every day two months ago. The biggest change in my appearance isn't the hat. I wear nicer jeans and boots when I have one of my casual fedoras on. I "dress" more often so I can wear my dressier fedoras. I stand a little straighter, and behave a little better. Like mingoslim said, wear, head to toe, what makes you feel good about how you look and who you are.

:cool: And get yourself some cheap sunglasses :cool:

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I'm 5'7" and around 155 lbs and I wear a fedora daily. Most of my hats are 2"-2 1/4" brims, because I've found that anything larger generally makes me look like a 12-year-old. This may have everything to do with my face and nothing to do with my stature, however.

Wear a fedora with pride, my height challenged companion!

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24