Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie saying 'Hello'

Richard

Familiar Face
strange humans

it's odd how impulses come and go. one day you must do something, the next you could care less.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Strange-

Maybe I'm at an advanced stage of this phenomenon but I feel needy and enthusiastic for things in the evening but not so interested in the morning...
Yes, it is very strange.
Maybe it's like the eBay anti-climax; bought something last night- wake up and don't want it so much...

B
T

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, JBA. You are now amongs hat addicts. We have fanciers of vintage hats here, high quality fur felts, Akubra fans, Indy fedora fans, Montecristi fans, people hooked on ebay, and some of us hooked on caps as well. We also have some hatmakers on the lounge. I plan to buy an indy hat from him real soon. Plus we have a lot of fun posting in various threads and exchanging information and sometimes just bantering with each other.

You picked a good fedora to (re)start with, I have heard many wonderful things about the Akubra Federation. I own a Snowy River but it is more a "cowboy" hat than a fedora.

karol

Richard

Familiar Face
the morning after

it is for this very reason that prostitutes and lawyers require payment up front. I am a lawyer and in general, nobody can be satisfied, for when you win their case, they feel they had to win whoever the lawyer was, so why should they pay, and if you lose, well then, what good are you, you loser?

JBA

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome everyone. :)
My biggest problem with purchasing hats is going to be convincing 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' of the need for them! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it though. ;)
As soon as my Federation arrives I'll post some pictures.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
JBA: I supposed the married fellows on the Lounge can help you out better on this one than I can. I do I have friends and a mother who don't quite understand it, but many people do have things they collect and, if the partner or spouse understands it's a collectible thing (and a lot more harmless than other things their husbands may want to do), perhaps they can accept it in that way.

Seems to me that some of the guys on this site have wives who also like and collect hats. Women are wearing those things more and more as a fashion statement and just because hats look cool and protect them from the sun (i.e., ozone layer and early wrinkles from the sun), as well as "bad hair" days.

At some point, perhaps you can draw her in to your 'hobby" by showing her books on hats and their history or getting her interested in the topic and in hats. Ebay has lots of hats, not only the fedoras traditionally worn by men, but classic fedoras and hats worn by the gals. Check out ladie's hats on Ebay. Sometimes that works.

My brother's spouse realized some time ago that she was becoming a "golf widow." She had a choice to fuss at him him or join him. She took it up and is now a golf addict herself. They even go on golfing vactions together!

karol

That is good advice Karol. That is how I got my wife involved. If you can't beat them join them. :p Pretty soon she will be telling you what looks good on you. ;) It works best if you buy a hat for her as well though. That way she feels included. My thing was that the hats that didn't fit me fit her. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Amen Sister!

K.D. Lightner said:
...if the partner or spouse understands it's a collectible thing (and a lot more harmless than other things their husbands may want to do), perhaps they can accept it in that way.
Hoo boy... A female friend of many years and I were having lunch when she confided (in tears) that one fine day, she came home early to find her husband trying on her underpinnies...

:p

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, I suppose a really liberal wife would take him shopping to Victoria's Secret or some such place, but...

Fedoras and caps would look pretty good next to that! Better he look like Indy in public than Paris in private....

karol

Richard

Familiar Face
spouses

should not bug you on purchases of clothing less than $500.00. i would never presume to tell my wife not to buy any article of clothing ever. on the other hand, luckily, we're both incredible tightwads....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner