Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie talker - Long time listener

schuface

New in Town
Hello All
I have been around for a good while, Listening to the conversations and getting to know some of you folks. I would have posted before but I kept finding any questions I had answered in previous threads. I decided to just say hello and let you get to know me. I'm an Artist and was originally trying to find a hat that I could use to keep the sun off me while I was painting outside on location, but this soon took on a life of it's own. I have 4 kids all of which are well hatted and a wife that is'nt. I told my wife that I am in search of the "Perfect Hat" and I will gladly stop my search and sell all once I have found "IT". ;)

-Smite Me Bar Keep!

schuface

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hiya Dave!

How are ya'? I was wondering if we would ever see you here... you must be getting pretty bored! ;) You're reputation precedes you... at least w/ me. I bought a lovely thin ribboned, bound brim, c-crowned beauty from you a couple of yrs. back, seen here;
Greystrat3.jpg

Greystrat2.jpg

...still in my regular rotation & still turnin' heads, a very nice lid, indeed.

I am really glad to see you here & I look fwd. to future posts. I suspect, based on what I have seen you sell, what you've kept must be quite nice.
All of ya'll, he says he's a newbie but this is a guy who knows a thing or two about nice hats & a tailor made member of TFL if ever I've seen one! Welcome!

kschurch

Vendor
Welcome Schuface,

I tend to stick in the shadows as well, so it's good to see someone else take the posting step.

I agree with Rick. I have a couple of nice gray Stetson "Open Road" models in the shape he describes. They are my favorite hats and seem to look good with everything.

Good luck with your search for that perfect one.

Church

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Limited resources

Hi Schuhface,

Welcome. When I paint plen air I use the most basic hats there: straw or military camo hat with a wide brim.

If you look for the perfect hat that is another thing: you would NOT want to use it while painting: otherwise it gets also tainted w. paint quite quickly; if you adjust the brim of your hats while you paint, etc.

In perfect hats there are different leagues. In the straw hat category the Montecrsisti Panama is the thing to go. In the felt the 100% Beaver are the best.

However if you have 4 kids plus you are an artist (and not having the revenues from lets say Kooning -like prices) than you must really focus on quality instead of quantity once you get some hats. You can not amass huge hat collections like some members here with lets say 70+ hats or so.

Rather buy a few pieces from a fellow artist; like a 100% handcrafted beaver hat from Art Fawcett and commission one high-end Montecristi panama hat from PanamaBob - you need the rest of your money for family and your arts anyway - painting is quite expensive!

Regards:

Tom

HungaryTom

One Too Many
J.B. said:
Cool! schuface-shows-his-face. :eek:

YESSSS!!

I think since Schuface has been listening for quite a long time maybe he was also saving up some bucks in the meantime - so he could spend money on true quality. And since he has been quite patient with posting - the wait time should be no problem for getting his signature hats.

lookoutscj

New in Town
Welcome! I've discovered,to my dismay/delight, that the "Perfect Hat" is somewhat a moving target. For me right now, the perfect hat would be a Stetson Stratoliner in silver belly, shaped just right, resplendant with original DC-3 pin gracing the ribbon. Of course after I had that one, I would need one in a darker gray...Then there is the deep gray hat with a dark brown or maybe even copper ribbon and binding, probably a high grade Stetson but could be another manufacturer that I have started dreaming of lately...
Part of the fun!
Kind Regards,
lookoutscj

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
No such thing

There's no such thing as the "pefect hat". Would you settle for one paintbrush? No! They are all different, and each suits a unique purpose.

The same is true of hats. Some are casual; some are formal. You need different colors to match different clothes. You need winter hats and summer hats. If you like to dress up in women's clothing, you may even need some womens' hats (vice versa for any women reading this).

I'd sooner settle on one pair of pants than on one hat!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Perfect hat indeed

C'mon guys, that's just what he's tellin' the missus. Pretty clever guy this Schuface. Anyway, hello and welcome. I'm new too. And an artist. And a buyer, so I'll probably bump into something from you on EB sometime if it's a 7 Long Oval. All the best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot