Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
Hi,

As asked, here is the same cap with me in a jacket. The cap is now more broken-in, the earlier were out-of-the-box pics.

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

Regards!

Too big methinks with too much flop and the proportions are wrong IMHO.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I got to throw on some off-the-shelf eight panels today in a few hat shops. Some were pretty full in cut. Compared to my Hatpeople cap, they were more what people seem to describe as wanting, but they had more structure and definite shape, which prevented a lot of the puffing out that my extra full cap does, but otherwise, they don't have enough material. I found them lacking. Granted, most of what we've been posting here are higher quality, but it gave me a feel for what else is available.

End result; I like my extra full even more now! Torpedo... I think we can both rest easy in our choice! :D

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
UWS Cowboy said:
n1201830061_30079902_5649.jpg
After shaping the brim and messing around with the flop this is how I wear it.

Cowboy, that I like. My fullest cut cap won't do that due to having two snaps, but I pull it off to the side as much as I can. I'm also a fan of the crease in the bill instead of the gentle curve. You look like you should be hawking newspapers or heading off to the factory.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Cowboy,

I like it, too. It would seem those Hanna's caps are worth a try.

Is your cap the present standard newsboy they offer, as seen at the website? If so, could you measure the length of one of the panels, from base to apex? Or the diameter of the cap lying flat? This way I could compare its dimensions with my Hat People cap.

Regards!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
I got to throw on some off-the-shelf eight panels today in a few hat shops. Some were pretty full in cut. Compared to my Hatpeople cap, they were more what people seem to describe as wanting, but they had more structure and definite shape, which prevented a lot of the puffing out that my extra full cap does, but otherwise, they don't have enough material. I found them lacking. Granted, most of what we've been posting here are higher quality, but it gave me a feel for what else is available.

End result; I like my extra full even more now! Torpedo... I think we can both rest easy in our choice! :D

Hi,

Agreed. This cap's dimensions are, well, BIG. This much is stated in Hat People's website. And these dimensions are historically accurate, I would say, by what you see in old time photos. Not that every cap in those times was this big, but that this big a cap was used, among other styles.
It may need a little getting-used-to, but I think it is a case of you liking it or not. I mean, I think this cap would look big on anybody's head, because it is intended to be big (yes, fuller faces and stouter bodies will make a difference, but not that much).

To make a comparison, 5 1/2'' to 6'' (open) crowns and 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 brims were commonly seen in 40's hats, but this does not mean every hat wearer today likes them - many are more comfortable with lower crowns and narrower brims.

What do you think?

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
Hi Cowboy,

I like it, too. It would seem those Hanna's caps are worth a try.

Is your cap the present standard newsboy they offer, as seen at the website? If so, could you measure the length of one of the panels, from base to apex? Or the diameter of the cap lying flat? This way I could compare its dimensions with my Hat People cap.

Regards!

Yes mine is the standard 8 piece, when I get off from work I will measure the hat.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I've been following this thread, because Newsboys

are my favorite headwear. I have two HatPeople Newsies, a blue 'Full Cut' and a gray 'Extra Full Cut.' They both fit extremely well. I'll post a couple of pics here, but, please bear in mind these pics were taken to show off the new jackets, not the cap. I think though, you can catch the flavor of the cap. Enjoy.

2151125540104585873S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2039591850104585873S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BTW, I like the look of those Hannahs. Very sharp.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Welcome aboard

Jack, Both those caps look terrific. I ordered an extra full cut in black wool two days ago and this gives me a very good idea of what it will look like.
Those appear to be very nice jackets as well. Have you posted information about them in another thread?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Some darned nice newboys depicted right above.

I really like a newsboy cap, even though they're unusual for where I live. I wear one very frequently.

Given that, I almost hate to post this, but I have some questions on sizing.

My first newsboy was a Pendleton newsboy, which was a great hat. I bought a second one after that. Unfortunately, I lost my first very nice Pendleton newsboy in the Portland airport, and the second wore out.

I've been on a quest ever since to replace them. I have a Hanna, but the sizing of Hanna's runs large, so mine is a bit too large, or rather loose. I suppose I could order another, in the next smallest size.

I also have a Hat People hat, which I ordered. They're hats do look very nice, but it came way too small. It discouraged me. I didn't return it, and I likely ought ot only blame myself, but it is simply too small to wear. Any advice on their sizing?

I am now wearing a B!Wear cap, and I do very much like it. But I'd be happy to have a second working newsboy.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
1920s question

Okay, an easy question for you guys, The materials and patterns used in the hats during the 20s, was leather used, or were there patterns used for adult hats in the materials? Thanks in advance, Kevin

carter

I'll Lock Up
Pat_H said:
Some darned nice newboys depicted right above.

I really like a newsboy cap, even though they're unusual for where I live. I wear one very frequently.

Given that, I almost hate to post this, but I have some questions on sizing.

My first newsboy was a Pendleton newsboy, which was a great hat. I bought a second one after that. Unfortunately, I lost my first very nice Pendleton newsboy in the Portland airport, and the second wore out.

I've been on a quest ever since to replace them. I have a Hanna, but the sizing of Hanna's runs large, so mine is a bit too large, or rather loose. I suppose I could order another, in the next smallest size.

I also have a Hat People hat, which I ordered. They're hats do look very nice, but it came way too small. It discouraged me. I didn't return it, and I likely ought ot only blame myself, but it is simply too small to wear. Any advice on their sizing?

I am now wearing a B!Wear cap, and I do very much like it. But I'd be happy to have a second working newsboy.
Pat, I spoke with Carol at HatPeople this morning. She is extremely friendly and accomodating. I think you should contact her and explain the problem with your hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes