Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

LordBest

Practically Family
Kangol Cap

My first 'newsboy' style cap:
meinkangol.jpg

It belonged to my grandfather, my grandmother thinks he bought it in the 50s. I have two more coming from Bookster in a month or so, can hardly wait (I just hope they fit).

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
Well I must say it works for you!!!!, I think it looks rather youthfull on you , Im afraid at 51 I wont be able to get away with wearing one, unless i'm driving a car like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:rage:

chitty_m.jpg

Chitty Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Oh you pretty Chitty Bang Bang,
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
We love you.
And, in
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
What we'll do.
Near, far, in our motor car
Oh what a happy time we'll spend.
Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Our fine four fendered friend.
Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Our fine four fendered friend.

billyspew

One Too Many
TheShadowKnows said:
Does anyone have a source for a News Boy cap with ear flaps? I have a nice Hannah eight-quarter cap and a Borsalino cap, but neither have ear flaps for cold winter use. You see them in films often enough, but I've never been able to purchase one. Any help?
Thanks!

Bookster does one in a range of tweeds...

LordBest

Practically Family
Bookster Caps

My two Bookster caps finally arrived on thursday, and I am absolutely thrilled with them. They fit like a glove, are superbly well made and the cloth is just delightful. I've been wearing them everywhere.
The first is a Hereford style in Grannoch tweed:
GrannochHerefordA.jpg

GrannochHerefordB.jpg

The second, a Gloucester in Nevis tweed, which I think is my favourite:
NevisGloucesterA.jpg

NevisGloucesterB.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
LordBest said:
My two Bookster caps finally arrived on thursday, and I am absolutely thrilled with them. They fit like a glove, are superbly well made and the cloth is just delightful. I've been wearing them everywhere.

Hi LordBest,

These Booksters are nice, aren't they? Mine are stowed until cool temperatures return, should order a couple in lighter fabric. I see the regular Hereford and Gloucester models have enough volume, too.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have recently acquired this ligthweight cotton cap. It is really a kind of hybrid newsboy - the rear part has four panels, and is of conventional newsboy construction, but the front part is like an Ivy flat cap. This makes the cap less rounded, and more "sharpened", at the front.

DSC_0605.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

It is a curious style.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Most interesting cap, Torpedo. Never saw the like.

Any information about the maker, whether recent or older, etc?

- Bill

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Intriguing. I just saw something like that in an old (and unidentified) movie the other day. I was thinking; is it a newsboy or a flat cap? It was tweed, though.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi again,

I bought it at a local hat shop - it is made in Spain, label says "DITMANS", model "Italiano". There is probably a winter wool version, too (I did not ask), but at present they had only the cotton ones on display, in a variety of colours and patterns.

Viper Man

Banned
My two cents...

I wanted a linen cap for summer and I tried B!Wear but I was not happy with the cut or fit. I actually wound up buying a Borsolino instead. Then, I liked the first Borso so much that I bought another. I feel like the Borsos are over priced, especially considering they are twice as much as Brett's caps, but you definitely get what you paid for.

Whoever said B!Wear is to caps what Art Fawcett is to fedoras is way off base, IMO. What a ridiculous claim. :mad:

High Pockets

Practically Family
With fall just around the corner here in the U.S.,....I figured it's about time to order a couple fall hats, so I spent the last couple of days reading this entire thread!
With hundreds of photos of newsboys here, I decided to call The Hat People and spent quite a bit of time discussing their caps with Carol. I'm glad I did, I think I now understand why the same "cut" might not look the same on everyone.
Anyhow, I ordered a brown tweed in the "full cut" and assured her that I'd be ordering at least one more after I saw how this one fits.

She said she's a member here and appreciates all the nice things that have been said about her company. I would highly suggest if you order one you call her,......she's very friendly and can help with not only making sure the size will be as correct as possible, but might be able to suggest a fabric not shown on the website photos.

:) I'll post a picture of the cap when it comes in. (Less than a month)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy