Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

Here's my new Hat People cap. Ordered a full cut but looks like medium. Also measured 24 1/8 in but ordered 24 1/2 and it's a snug fit...
That does look a little "light" in the crown, particularly because the brim is so exposed. I'd suggest you contact them to verify the cut and the size are correct per your order.

Playdablues

New in Town
Yes VERY light in the crown. More like a baker boy or dough boy than a newsboy LOL! I did send the pictures to Carol. Last time I emailed it took 4 days to hear back. It took a month and 2 days to get what I got. She did call back and she did ship it 2 day priority though. I just hope it doesn't take another month or more to get a cap... My B!wear cap was order on Friday here on Monday.

I really do like the Hat People cap and soft brim though.

Playdablues

New in Town
I emailed and jot a couple of responses from Carol and I'm kind of left feeling disgusted. here is my first email with the same 2 photos above attached and her reply.

Hello Carol and Jim,
I just received the cap today, thank you very much for sending it 2 day priority. While I really love the construction of the cap, material and especially the flexible brim, It appears to be more of a medium cut than a full cut. It is marked full cut on the tag so i'm not sure what happened. Also the fit is a bit smaller than I expected, I measured 24 1/8 inches but ordered 24 1/2 just in case of some future shrinkage (plus I like them a little loose). It actually fits "comfortably snug". I have attached 2 photos so you can see what you think. If I can wind up with at hat that looks right on me I can see myself buying several more in other materials and colors. I really like your hat otherwise. I have 4 Hanna caps and a b!wear cap and this one is my favorite, I just wish it looked like i expected on me. Anyway see what you think and please let me know.

Thanks again,
Scott

hi scott
that one i sent to you is a full cut. sometimes when we make them---
the same cut pattern comes out looking a little smaller or larger--depending on
the seam allowances. different sewers ....of late we have some new people and they are still getting it straight....

i think this hat would take some getting used to for you.....if that one was a medium cut it would
look more like a baseball cap on your head...
you could probably do fine in our extra full cut, in fact i think it would be great! the full is not bad, but
you want more width.....
if you want to exchange it, the cost is $8, which is mostly shipping, or you could order another one in the extra full
and tryi them on and compare, before sending one back....

carol at hp

Playdablues

New in Town
So I wrote back again:

Well I know it does not resemble the picture on the website for full cut at all.

If I may quote you " different sewers ....of late we have some new people and they are still getting it straight...." , I guess I'm having a hard time trying to understand why I am at fault for the difference in appearance.

This hat clearly resembles a medium cut at best. The top front barely comes down to cover the brim at all, there even less slack in the sides. The hat i received and the picture for full cut are like night and day... My pictures, your website pictures and order form should prove this point. Right?

Best regards,
Scott

And another reply from Hat People:

hello
no one is at fault here.
it looks different on everyone

jim says if it is another cut it might be the deep cut, but i know
we were taking great care not to mix them up.

i also know it is not the medium cut--the bill is smaller and would not look right on you at all.

please try it on again and you need to do this:
before you put it on, arrange the top of the hat over the bill the way you want it to be
take care to make it smooth on top of the bill with no extra fabric.
then pinch it, at the very front, and pull back the liner on the inside so it is not inside your pinch
then put the hat on your head, carefully placing the back where you want it and the front
over the bill .

when we looked at the photo you sent, jim said that you have some of the top of the hat tucked in
at the top of the bill and taking up that part of the top that you want pulled down over the bill.
this makes a big difference in how it looks.

it is not an uncommon problem
jim has a very particular way he puts hats onto peoples heads, and we often have to have him
explain it over the phone. i want us to make a video just about that.
carol at hp

Playdablues

New in Town
I've tried putting it on as they suggested, but even before they advised me. One of my Hanna caps has no snap on the brim/front and I have to do this with it. When I try it with the Hat People cap it just pulls right back. I refuse to walk around constantly pinching the front of my cap to the brim. There is not any front part of the cap "tucked under" as they try to suggest. It appears as it does because the first 1/2 inch of the panel section around my forehead is too snug. It is even snugger than the headband itself. which leads me to believe that "sometimes when we make them--- the same cut pattern comes out looking a little smaller or larger--depending on the seam allowances. different sewers ....of late we have some new people and they are still getting it straight...."

I really don't think I should be out any more money. Basically I feel like I have spent $56.00 for no good and Hat People expects me to be OK with that. I've been patient and polite to this point and I'm sure they are nice people, so anybody have any suggestions on what to say to them next? It seems that some might know them better than I.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. Get your money back and buy from Simonds, Monsivais or Cordova. No fooling around with this half assed companies and their floppy caps. They may appear more expensive but they look at least five times better. So you actually save money and nerves by buying the good stuff directly.

Playdablues

New in Town
I did get another reply from Carol at hat people, I think they are going to exchange it at no extra cost. I did offer to pay return shipping. They want me to try the Extra full cut. I was hoping for not quite so much "volume" as my hanna hats caps. My b!wear is somewhat conservative but it still looks like a newsboy cap unlike the last hat people cap and all are 24 1/2 inch size. So if the Full cut looks like it did then maybe the extra full will look ok on me. I have seen some pictures of the extra full and it looks awfully large on some people. I'm not quite sure why their hats look so different on one person to the next. Anyway If this one looks good I hope to get another one or two. :yo:

Gromulus

Practically Family
I hope this works our for you.

I am a big fan of Hanna caps and have several. Not sure if you know but they recently came out with a new style, their "Newsboy" cap which is less full than their standard "Eight Piece Cap":

http://hannahats.com/shop/caps/tweed-newsboy-cap/

I have not seen these sold in the states as of yet but I did order and receive a couple directly from Hanna. A very nicely shaped cap.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I hope this works out for you.

I am a big fan of Hanna caps and have several. Not sure if you know but they recently came out with a new style, their "Newsboy" cap which is less full than their standard "Eight Piece Cap":

http://hannahats.com/shop/caps/tweed-newsboy-cap/

I have not seen these sold in the states as of yet but I did order and receive a couple directly from Hanna. A very nicely shaped cap.

Playdablues

New in Town
Yes I have seen that new newsboy cap. As a matter of fact I'm still waiting to receive my order from Hanna Hats placed during the last week of July. I ordered the blue salt and pepper tweed. I hope I still have it on the way. The tracking says: "The item was scanned in the country of destination United Kingdom at Aug 22, 2014" but as you can see I am in the United States! Hanna has not responded to my last two emails. Not having much luck with caps here lately.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Yes I have seen that new newsboy cap. As a matter of fact I'm still waiting to receive my order from Hanna Hats placed during the last week of July. I ordered the blue salt and pepper tweed. I hope I still have it on the way. The tracking says: "The item was scanned in the country of destination United Kingdom at Aug 22, 2014" but as you can see I am in the United States! Hanna has not responded to my last two emails. Not having much luck with caps here lately.

I ordered a couple caps this summer directly from Hanna and it took them a month to build and another couple weeks in shipping - via Frankfurt, Germany! Hang in there!

RJR

I can't tell where you are located but several Lounge members make custom caps and you might wish to check them out before buying overseas.
In no particular order and with apologies for whomever I miss:Cordova,Simonds,Damian M.,ZaSu,B!Wear,Hat People-Oregon,Brass Rooster.

Scott Stevens

New in Town
I can't tell where you are located but several Lounge members make custom caps and you might wish to check them out before buying overseas.
In no particular order and with apologies for whomever I miss:Cordova,Simonds,Damian M.,ZaSu,B!Wear,Hat People-Oregon,Brass Rooster.

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in England. I've looked at Hanna, Olney, Stetson and City Sport. I would like a brown tweed colour, preferably with a leather sweatband.

RJR

In that case,Richard(ManofKent) may be able to advise you.Obviously some of the very finest tweed comes from the UK so pickings s/b good.

Playdablues

New in Town
I finally got my blue salt and pepper 8 panel from Hanna this week it looks and fits great like my other 2 Hanna caps. I also emailed Hat people to see if they got the return hat and Carol said she looked and found the package and they would make the extra full. So looks like I may be waiting a month for my first hat people cap again. I'll post comparison pictures of my B! wear, Hanna and Hat people caps once I get the the last one in. I am cranialy endowed as Brett of B!wear puts it so the other big guys here can see what they might expect. I wear size 7 5/8 - 7 3/4 depending which side of the pond I'm ordering from of course!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy