Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A cap of mine from the 1920s.

MarcAugust09011.jpg

MarcAugust09014.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
I nabbed the last cap that I had been eyeing all week, I'm hoping for a combination of under measurement and/or stretch.

If it doesn't work out, let me know - I'll take it:D

Torpedo

One Too Many
Allegedly, no modern manufacturer, not even the custom-oriented ones often mentioned here, offers a cap in the old style. One can not buy a new hat like the wonderful example Marc is modelling above.

I wonder, why the capacity of making a cap as in the 20's or 30's seems to have been lost? Those vintage styles do not look like they need more material, so economy of cloth would not be a factor; is the pattern more difficult to put together, and hence, it is manufacture time (labour hours) what is being spared? Agreed, quality of cloth and finish details like those of yesteryear would be inviable today, but not even the pattern can be done?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's not being done because there is little discernible demand for it. Customers are happy enough with the caps that are being made now, so manufacturers see no need to invest in retooling.

I strongly agree with you that 1920s-'30s caps look better on most folks. Don't know why; they just do, IMO.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Torpedo said:
Allegedly, no modern manufacturer, not even the custom-oriented ones often mentioned here, offers a cap in the old style. One cannot buy a new hat like the wonderful example Marc is modelling above.

You're right. Look at the 1920s-'30s caps below, especially the side views. No modern cap is constructed like that!

jake_fink said:
PB090255.jpg

PB090253.jpg

PB090249.jpg

PB090242.jpg
PB090241.jpg

PB090240.jpg

Adjustable using this rather fancy buckle

PB090238.jpg

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
Allegedly, no modern manufacturer, not even the custom-oriented ones often mentioned here, offers a cap in the old style. One can not buy a new hat like the wonderful example Marc is modelling above.

Well, we can be happy that we get anything else outside Baseball caps at all.

Now, if it were fashionable again to wear hats, imagine this scenario:
The kids and the fashion-lemmings start wearing newsboy caps and Fedoras, but, of course, most of them would wear them side- or backwards.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36331639@N03/3844163380/in/pool-myhandmadefabrichat
Makes you wish for the situation we have now, eh?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Kreissaege said:
Now, if it were fashionable again to wear hats, imagine this scenario:
The kids and the fashion-lemmings start wearing newsboy caps and Fedoras, but, of course, most of them would wear them side- or backwards.

Cameramen used to always wear their newsboy caps backwards when filming, but for a practical reason: to avoid having the cap's visor (brim) bump into the camera. ( See Buster Keaton's film, The Cameraman.)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I just received news that Hatpeople are going to attempt making a cap out of a houndstooth jacket I sent them. The jacket looked dreadful on me and nobody wanted it, even for free. But the wool was so nice and the colors fantastic. I can hardly wait! :fing28:

winston

New in Town
Can someone tell me how well these caps hold out in rain? Will they keep my hair dry through a downpour or just light drizzle?

High Pockets

Practically Family
My experience has been with the tweed Ivy's I have worn all winter, is that they're not much different than pulling a wool sport-coat with a satin liner over your head.

La Strada

New in Town
Nice flat cap Garrett!
Walked past that address in the Quarter many many times. Used to be predominately an Italian
neighborhood right along the river port. Still a great block with a couple Italian grocery's that date back to the 30's.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
winston said:
Can someone tell me how well these caps hold out in rain? Will they keep my hair dry through a downpour or just light drizzle?

I have two eight panel wool caps from this vendor:

http://www.hatterdashery.com/hatstyles.htm

Both are excellent quality, and they will make caps of your chosen fabric and style. I ordered one cap specifically for Wyoming winters. It has ear flaps and is Goretex lined. It keeps my head warm and dry under the most extreme conditions, including our classic Wyoming blizzard with temps in the single digits and a 40 mph wind.

The other cap is sans flaps and cotton lined. Still very warm, and suitable for the occasional rain storm or moderately cold weather. As you know, wool retains a good deal of its insulating qualities even when damp or wet.

To answer your specific question, it would depend on how long you stay out in the downpour. If it's moving from a vehicle to the office or your front door, you would be fine. For an extended exposure, even the heaviest wool will eventually become saturated. It would continue to provide some protection though. Any all wool cap should be fine in a light drizzle, again depending on the length of exposure.

Just my 2 cents.

Viper Man

Banned
Jonathan Richard Cap?

Can anyone tell me about Jonathan Richard's Caps of Donegal? I just scored one at auction and it was described as being vintage but doesn't really look it. It appears to be good quality though. Any reviews? [huh]

I searched and didn't really find anything.

winston said:
Exactly as said above. These newsboy caps caps don't receive any special treatments for water proofing, they are simply the regular fabric like one might find in a suit or sports jacket. A drizzle or misting type conditions may stay out for a short while but at some point the water will soak in and seap thru and faster if it's raining.

Now it maybe possible to Scotch Guard the fabrics to help protect against the weather, but that may change the appearance of them, I don't know.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man said:
Can anyone tell me about Jonathan Richard's Caps of Donegal? I just scored one at auction and it was described as being vintage but doesn't really look it. It appears to be good quality though. Any reviews? [huh]

I searched and didn't really find anything.

They are the best made in Ireland FWIW I hear.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Inusuit said:
I have two eight panel wool caps from this vendor:

http://www.hatterdashery.com/hatstyles.htm

Both are excellent quality, and they will make caps of your chosen fabric and style. I ordered one cap specifically for Wyoming winters. It has ear flaps and is Goretex lined. It keeps my head warm and dry under the most extreme conditions, including our classic Wyoming blizzard with temps in the single digits and a 40 mph wind.
Just my 2 cents.

Could you please show a pic of this cap?
I havent yet found a cap with earflaps which I would like to wear next winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo