Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

High Pockets

Practically Family
Yesterday, I compared the two hats and they are both the exact same size,....the linen lies a little flatter due to the lighter weight material.

One more hat from them is due in any day now,....another tweed. I'll take a picture of all three, for comparison.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Southernwayfare said:
Does Hat People make hats with fabrics other than those on their website? Custom?

I do believe so,.....I think you can even send them your own fabric.
If you call Carol, sometimes they have materials that aren't pictured.
Last time we talked she said they were going to some kind of "show" or something, so they may not answer for a few days. Then again they may be back by now. A very nice couple to deal with over the phone.

greeny

Familiar Face
I've had this cap for a number of years - no idea of the make, and it doesn't have much of a lining to speak of - but I've yet to find another that I like as much.
DSCN0532.jpg

nowak.jpg

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
My (german licensed and made) Stetson:
11009.jpg

Fits very well, but I have to relocate the stitchings which fix the crown to the brim. The original ones were too far forward for my large head and pinched the fabric, so I removed them. The new ones will be put a bit backwards.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have got a couple of cotton, lighweight newsies made by Dorfman. Not bad for $11.95 each, from ebay seller profbloodgood. No auctions, BIN articles. He has similar models in wool mix material, too, for $16.95.

DSC_0772.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

Regards!

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I'm glad I found this thread. Last winter I purchased a cheap flat cap from Miller hats, partially to get an idea of what hat size I would need to wear, and also because I had a feeling that a cap would suit my face better than a fedora. After doing some measurements, I discovered I would need a 7 3/4. I received the hat and the diameter was fine, if a little snug, but the height of the hat is severely lacking! Also, the material is way too thin in appearance for a winter hat. The hat just looks too small on my massive noggin. Now I'm thinking maybe I need a 7 7/8 instead. I really like the look of many of the companies recommended in this thread, so thanks for all the info everybody. I'll be ordering a new cap as soon as I can decide which one.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Lamplight said:
After doing some measurements, I discovered I would need a 7 3/4. I received the hat and the diameter was fine, if a little snug, but the height of the hat is severely lacking! Also, the material is way too thin in appearance for a winter hat. The hat just looks too small on my massive noggin. Now I'm thinking maybe I need a 7 7/8 instead.

Lamplight,

Could be that you don't need a larger size (diameter), but rather a fuller cap with more material in the crown. Several of the companies mentioned above offer caps in various degrees of "fullness." You can have one made that will be large enough in the crown to complement your head size without coming down over your ears.

I seem to be the only poster who repeatedly recommends these folks:

http://www.hatterdashery.com/hatstyles.htm

I have two caps from them. They will make a cap to your specifications. The caps I own also have an inside band that is adjustable via a velcro closure.

Good luck in your search.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I have a question i am hoping some of the experts can weigh in on. I see a lot of caps from the 30s or so on the photo thread and other threads, and I thrift a lot of fifties sportcoats and overcoats. And I notice a lot of the unusual cap fabrics seem to be similar to the fifties sportcoats. Enough that I am keeping an eye out for cheap damaged ones for fabric.

Am I mistaken? Did they do 30s sportcoats in the same fabrics but they are not around anymore? Did they start a trend of sportcoaats and look around and come across caps as a good example of fabrics? or maybe they used traditional sporting fabrics. I don't mean just tweeds etc, although that certainly is one example, but alot of medium weight tan and whitish fabrics that seem almost identical.

any thoughts would be appreciated a I am considering having some caps made with vintage fabrics for the fun of it.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Inusuit said:
Lamplight,

Could be that you don't need a larger size (diameter), but rather a fuller cap with more material in the crown. Several of the companies mentioned above offer caps in various degrees of "fullness." You can have one made that will be large enough in the crown to complement your head size without coming down over your ears.

I seem to be the only poster who repeatedly recommends these folks:

http://www.hatterdashery.com/hatstyles.htm

I have two caps from them. They will make a cap to your specifications. The caps I own also have an inside band that is adjustable via a velcro closure.

Good luck in your search.
After I made my post, I realized that I forgot to mention that my 7 3/4 is a bit snug in diameter, as well as being too shallow in the crown. But on the other hand, perhaps it's better to have a hat a little snug than too loose?

Thanks for the link. I really like the look of those hats. I'm amazed that most of these caps are surprisingly cheap.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
I visited their site before. Just wish they had more photos of their newsboys....and fabrics...
HD

If you contact them, and give them some idea of what you want, they will send you fabric swatches. Although I don't know for sure, I believe they will make a cap from fabric you supply. There should be enough material in a sport coat to make a cap, if you are so inclined. I found these folks to be very cooperative and willing to make the hat you want.

High Pockets

Practically Family
:) Discussing this with a hatmaker recently, I learned that on many occasions using old jackets for material to build a hat from can pose a problem.
Sometimes the weave pattern is large and the panels are small, making it difficult to match the panels when constructing a newsboy cap.
And old pants are actually easier to work with,....as long as the knees and/or seat isn't worn thin.

;) In the future I'll have to pay more attention to the thrift-store pants section.

Cap'n Spaulding

New in Town
I really appreciate all the information in this thread! I'm going to order a deep cut from Hat People, thanks to all the good info and pics shared here!

sproily

Practically Family
Hey,

I posted this in the new hats thread also.

I got this from our local recycling center, and as every piece of clothing there, it was free.

63068154.jpg

88894717.jpg

77196558.jpg

10892670.jpg

The size tag is paper and the make is something I didn't find with google nor have ever heard I'm thinking 60's.

Atleast it's older than I am!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner