Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Goodwear Aero

I recently recieved this test cowhide Aero from John. It is magnificent. The hide has subtle undertones which I love and the knits are the perfect color. The fit is trim for me, I am 5-11 and 207lb this week
I go up and down in size due to my penchant for beer and steaks.

It is a size 48. I have a 44 chest and it fits well. the shoulders are 19.5, which is a bit tight for me but it is new so it should break in fine. For comparrison my Eastman house is a 20.5 shoulder and is a perfect fit. Sleeves are 26 with the knits and back legnth is 27" from the collar seam to end of knit. The front flap is 25.25" It is hiding a nice NOS tallon zip.

The hide is soft and supple, light weight, veg. tanned cowhide of a medium brown with undertones.

Can't wait for the weather to get colder so I can break it in properly.

The sun was in and out durring the photo shoot, so the colour varies a bit.

Pics:

DSCN0703.jpg

DSCN0704.jpg

DSCN0706-1.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Looks like a great fit- the shoulders will stretch out as you wear it in. I really like the color too. Interesting to compare yours to an Aero of Scotland jacket- the quality is there (Aero makes GREAT jackets), but the pattern has been enlarged in the shoulders, giving the shoulder droop and flying epaulets in the larger sizes- something you don't see on the Goodwear. That jacket is Square up and down and the red knits really set it off.
I'm lucky here are Minnesota, the temp dropped into the 50's the week my Goodwear arrived. I've been wearing it continuously...
Here's a 44-46 Areo cowhide for contrast. Once again, a great jacket, but I think the the pattern is a little wonky.
Cheers
Mark
DSCN1297.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Swoosed said:
I love Aero products. I had a real deal for a while, but it was too short IHO. I sold it off.

I agree- I just with they would get the pattern a little more true on the A-2's.
Cheers
Mark

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Goodwear A-2 on order

I've been wanting another A-2 in a dark seal brown and was thinking of getting another Aero, but when I saw I could get a Goodwear A-2 for only another $125. it seemed a no brainer.

I decided on the Dubow
goodweardubow.jpg

In this color--English Pub coffee
coffee.jpg

fedoralover

ldmax

Familiar Face
Good choice, Fedora. That will be a nice compliment to your russet Aero. I love the grain and texture on that English pub coffee cowhide. Be sure to post pictures when you get it, so all of us here at the lounge can oooh and ahhh!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Idmax, I've rethought my feelings about cowhide on A-2s. John's cowhide is miles above any others I've seen. It really has some character to it, which is what I personally like. I know others like the smooth and even look, but I like the individuality that you get with a hide that has lots of grain.

regards fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Goodwear accuracy-Amazing!!

I've noticed that some A-2 vendors seem to have a generic pocket flap design that often times does not resemble the original contract design. Now I know that given the number made by different workers that there were bound to be slight variances from jacket to jacket even within a contract. But I'm struck by how closely John Chapman captures the original. Check out the comparison pics of an original Bronco which is on ebay at present, another vendors version and then a Goodwear. If the Goodwear was 60 some years old and had years of wear on it, I doubt you know the difference.

oldbronco.jpg

aerobronco.jpg

GWbronco.jpg

fedoralover

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Thanks for that comparison posting, fedoralover. For jacket enthusiasts such as myself, John's ability to draw on his vast knowledge of A-2's and the peculiarities of each manufacturer, is a skill that is highly valued.

J.A. Dubow (aka Ted)

Feraud

Bartender
I had the pleasure of seeing Fletch's Goodwear in person this weekend.
The details, construction, and leather quality is amazing.
It is the finest looking a2 I have seen.
Look at this grain pattern.
DSC03643a.jpg

DSC03659a.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Great pix, Feraud. One is now my avatar.

I can attest that the Bonanza Mesa used by John is as pleasing in feel as it is in appearance. It's flexible, richly varied in texture, and feels tough enough to outlive its owner.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Fedoralover - looking forward to seeing pics and your review of that new Dubow you mentioned earlier. I've been debating between that one and the Aero reproduction that John makes. Currently waiting for samples of leather and knits to make a decision.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OUTSTANDING A-2

Just very quickly Fletch, I thought that 'battle cattle' leather was outstanding. The grain was marvellous, you wore it well and JC has got it totally nailed. That is the most authentic A-2 I've seen (Repro) and you look as though you are the cat that's got the cream with that one.Wear it in good health my friend.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
Fedoralover - looking forward to seeing pics and your review of that new Dubow you mentioned earlier. I've been debating between that one and the Aero reproduction that John makes. Currently waiting for samples of leather and knits to make a decision.

Mike, I don't know if you visit here or saw the link in another thread, but here's a review by another self admitted obsessive compulsive A-2 lover about his Aero John made for him. BTW, love the avatar, I like the safari look.

http://cornellsurgery.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1117&start=0

fedoralover

tonypaj

Practically Family
Nice jackets... Now personally, I tend to agree to some extent with the Lost Worlds dude, who states something like he refuses to copy mistakes, but makes the best jacket he can.

I can see both sides of the argument, Goodwear jackets look wonderful, but I'm happy with the two Aero A-2s that I have, as well. Wish I could see a Goodwear here in France, in person, though. I'd have a much better frame of reference, pictures are nice, but nothing beats the feel...

tonypaj

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I guess it depends on what one's definition of "a mistake" is. But this thread is talking about the accuracy of a Goodwear in comparison to an original.

But for some that really isn't an issue, I know it wasn't for me when I bought my Aero Real Deal. I knew it had issues when it came to authenticity, but I didn't care then and I still don't. I wear it everyday and am quite happy with it. I love the leather and how its breaking in. Their stateside dealer Mark Moye is absolutely top notch in customer service.

But if someone does want one more true to an authentic jacket, like I do this time around, then the Goodwear is miles ahead.

But if a person's personal preference is a heavier jacket with generic pockets or other differences than what John supplies then by all means one should get what floats their boat.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112