Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Infinitum

A-List Customer
2dujxvb.jpg

aue2ch.jpg

One of the Regulars
I stole that from another thread. Any news on your Goodwear 1087? I'm looking forward to seeing it after all the hype.

Well... the final countdown got extended...
John found that it will take a bit more of testing about certain aspects of my jacket to made it right.
So... I have to wait until those aspects get sort.
It is a great exercise to show myself that patience is a good asset.
In the meantime the countdown continues...:cry:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
**ADMIN NOTICE***

Thread merge. Let the 'search function' be your friend Gentlemen. Makes searches easier when similar threads are kept as one. Thanks!

shanghaitan

New in Town
Visited John Chapman of Goodwear last week, SAT review.

I was in Seattle for the holidays and paid John a visit. I was checking out his shop and trying on some jackets and considering ordering one. Not wanting to wait 6 months for one i asked if he had any available for sale. To my surprise he pulled out his prototype for Security Aviation Togs model and said that it looks like it will fit and fit it did. So i bought it, then he took out the California Ventura that he modeled his after, so i bought another jacket...

SAT
GW's first prototype of this jacket in Seal Brown HH.

Leather
The leather is simply beautiful, i had a stack of new GW jackets in front of me and this color and texture resonated with me the most. It is thick and has a deep moist color, although it is a little squeaky.

Picture below is after about a week of wear and some HWT to tighten the waist and streach the shoulders. It is already taking shape and breaking in nicely.

Fit
This is a size 46 and it is just about right. I have a 43 chest and 33 waist, stand about 5'8 and weigh 175 lbs. I followed JC's instructions to HWT the jacket to shrink the waist and streach the shoulders for greater movement. Worked out fine. Like Redwing boots, I expect the jacket to fit better the more i wear it. Currently layering with a wool sweater for the winter, pics are with just a shirt. It fits like a sports coat so i will not be doing gymnastics in it. As opposed to the G1 that fits more like a parka which is much easier to move around in.

Construction
Quality is top notch and JC's passion for his craft shows throughout. I love getting stuff from local Seattle craftsmen and getting to know the maker. JC is a super nice guy that is truly passionate about his craft.

Details
I am not a A2 collector so could not point to all the fine details of the SAT jacket, but the pocket buttons are different from other A2s and easy to spot. Others more experienced think this is a good repro. I'd prefer to have an original but doubt that i would be able to find a wearable original SAT in my size, so this repro will have to do till then :)

Verdict
Great quality, fit requires some break-in depending on your body style, superb leather and great guy to do business with.

Here are a coule of pictures.

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

California Ventura
This jacket needs lots of restoration, the cotton threads have rotted away but the leather and metal are in good condition. My tailor is taking it apart and resewing the entire jacket and relining it with gaberdine. Will post the completed restoration in another thread.

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

saucerfiend

Practically Family
New Goodwear "Monarch"

Here are some pics of my new Goodwear Monarch that I received from JC a month ago. It's beautiful! Workmanship and details are dead on.

Brian

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

I love the jacket and you look great in it. I ordered a 39 Werber from John about a month ago. I'm wondering how long to get mine. I want to blouse it like the soldiers in WWII.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Saucerfiend,
yeah, Goodwear did a great job and I like your AERO Stewart too. Seemed that you did a fantastic shopping tour.

But from my point of view these jacket are so beautiful that they need better photos!

Regards

Olli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails