Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newsboy Caps for the Ladies?

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I just bought the cap pictured below from B!Wear Cap Co, cool looking cap I thought. The wife said "that's a woman's hat". So I got to thinking, I know newsboy caps are historically menswear. But as we know sometimes things get co-opted by a group and the original use becomes the anomaly not the norm (think chaps, I use them because they're functional to ride in, but when most people think of chaps they think village people and the gay community).

So are newsboy caps OK for men? Or are they now only a ladies cap?

ry%3D480

davidraphael

Practically Family
Newsboy
Bakerboy
Fisherman's
Pageboy
Gatsby

Not a newsgirl or a bakergirl or a fisherwoman or a pagegirl or a Daisy... ;)

I've not seen many girls wear newsboys, to be honest, though I think they do look really great in them!
I think the Jaxon bigapple newsboy is advertised with a woman wearing one.

By now I think they're unisex accessories, but certainly not exclusively 'a woman's hat'.

Check out the newsboy threads on this site...

Looks like a nice cap you got there!

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Women do not get the push back on hats that men do. In today society the only hat the is associated with men is the ball cap. Guy where I work wear ball caps everyday and would not think of leaving the house with out one on their head. Just as men did back in the heyday of the fedora. But when one wears a hat that is not in the deemed acceptable view of society a Men's hat then you will recieve comments such as what your wife said that its a "Womens" hat it was never a Womens hat. Women back in the day would never would have worn a newsboy as that was a Man's hat.:)

mattface

Practically Family
Newsboy
Bakerboy
Fisherman's
Pageboy
Gatsby

Not a newsgirl or a bakergirl or a fisherwoman or a pagegirl or a Daisy... ;)

OK, but then you have

Boypants

which are actually women's underpants made in a style similar to men's boxer/briefs. If a boy tries to wear them though, there will be no doubt that they were made for a woman and not a "boy" as they are really not cut full enough in the front if you catch my drift.

So the word "boy" in the name clearly does not prove that the style was made for the boys, in fact in this case it's the primary indicator that it isn't. If they were made for boys, they would simply be called pants, or more likely in North America, under pants.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Women do not get the push back on hats that men do. In today society the only hat the is associated with men is the ball cap.

I've wondered why that is, it seems that anything in men's fashion that has them appearing masculine or in a position of authority gets knocked. It's like there is a concerted effort for men's fashion to stop at age 14 and keep men forever stuck in jeans, t's, and ball caps (which have their place don't get me wrong). Or maybe fashion is just reflecting the current state of the maturity levels of men in the west? The word "man-child" is routinely used to address men of my generation. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner