Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEXT Homemodded M1904 Campaign Hat project

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After this baby arrives I'm going to give it the full M1904 treatment! Will post updates as they occur.

T2eC16JE9s2fBWrcBRDvfqGwwg60_57_zpsb9b6ad4e.jpg

KGrHqFqcFEOfDTY-4BRDvfwJL160_57_zps0dfc47d8.jpg

dean

TomS

One Too Many
You know, I can see the campaign hat waiting to be born. Good luck with the project!

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I can't wait to see it dean. My M1094 (that you inspired me to create) isn't "period correct." It's missing the stiching around the brim and I haven't put the star vent in the crown yet. But I like it so much I don't want to mess with it.

Although I have been keeping an eye out for another earth tone hat that is being sold cheap.

Looking forward to some pic's.

deanglen

I can't wait to see it dean. My M1094 (that you inspired me to create) isn't "period correct." It's missing the stiching around the brim and I haven't put the star vent in the crown yet. But I like it so much I don't want to mess with it.

Although I have been keeping an eye out for another earth tone hat that is being sold cheap.

Looking forward to some pic's.

The stitching is not that hard, just get a regular sewing machine and practice on an old beater. Getting the fold over on the brim that M1904/5 had is a trick I haven't mastered, so I get those Dorfman wool body fedoras with a three inch folded over brim, and then add stitching over the row that is already there, and add one about 1/4 inch from the brim edge. They're pretty economical hats, too, coming in S,M,X, XL sizes, too.

dean

deanglen

Progress. Brim stitching, two rows done, new ribbon and bow, for which I used a lighter 5/8" grosgrain than on the M1889 for variety's sake in addition to historical precendent. Leather 2 1/4" sweatband sewn in. Water shaping in progress. Star vents to be added, along with reinforced chin cord grommets at sides of the crown through the brim. I'm loving this one!

mms_picture7-2_zpsb6e318f8.jpg

dean

Last edited:

deanglen

Thanks, R! The work is its own reward! Thank you to you, Roger! The spacing is relatively even, I simply don't have a lot of expertise with the sewing machine yet. I look at these hats as learning experiences that will someday result in a pretty fair reproduction. BTW your ribbon goes out Tuesday, thanks to President's Day. It's a color called "chocolate chip" by a company called "Stampin' Up" from an ebay seller.

This is what I'm aiming to repro:
1904hatsample-1_zps9f569dfc.jpg

dean

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael