Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No hats in Banks

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's what banks are doing here in SC.

However, my bank's employees have known me so long, and are used to me wearing hats that they have never told me to remove one.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I usually take mine off and set it on the counter when I get through the line to talk to the lady bank tellers.

This is just silly. I am sure California will trip all over itself trying to do the same thing.
I will take my hat off when that lady over there takes off her burka. ;)
I usually do take off my hat in the bank but codifying this stuff into law is ridiculous. It is already illegal to rob a bank isn't it?

Regards to all,

J

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
In SC at least, I don't believe it's codified. If I recall correctly, it was the association of banks here that decided to follow these rules.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, as matter of courtesy, I remove my hat when I enter that type establishment anyway, but Tennessee hasn't gone that silly yet, though I am surprised this is coming out of Kentucky. They're just as heavily armed as WE are. :confused: ;) I also leave my gun in the car as a matter of courtesy too, so it's all covered over here without legislation. (grins)Regards. Michaelson

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
My bank encourages CWP holders here to carry, simply because it can help prevent a robbery.

Other banks here have signs prohibiting concealed weapons, so I don't patronize their establishments ;)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yep, we can't carry in banks or establishments that sell liquor. Now, where's the fun in THAT, may I ask you?:confused: :) Regards. Michaelson

Imahomer

Practically Family
How about the part where it says sunglasses too? Mine are prescription and on a sunny/bright day, I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t go anywhere without them. So, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll have to carry my regular glasses on sunny days if I'm going to the bank! DUMB.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Humm. I hadn't thought of that either. What about transitions, which is what I wear? Those ARE my regular glasses, and on a sunny day are as dark as a pair of sunglasses! More complicated than they thought! Regards. Michaelson

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I guess that shows how much regulations will vary from state to state. Interestingly enough, you can carry if you ever visit SC, and I can (and have) carried in TN because we have reciprocity between our states.

However, "when in Rome", as they say, you have to follow the rules of that particular state. So while I can carry a weapon into a liquor store here in SC, while in TN, I would be unable to do so.

Here's the list of the places we CWP holders in SC cannot carry.

Premises of private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution [without express permission of person in charge of premises] [Section 16-23-420]
[Felony - $5000 and/or 5 years imprisonment]

Inside publicly-owned buildings of any kind, except at Interstate highway rest areas [Section 16-23-420]
[Felony - $5000 and/or 5 years imprisonment]

Inside an establishment licensed for on-premises consumption of alcohol [Section 16-23-465]
[Misdemeanor - $2000 and/or 3 years imprisonment]

Premises of a private residence without permission [Section 23-31-225]
[Misdemeanor - $1000 and/or 1 year imprisonment]

Any place where carrying is prohibited by proper sign [Sections 23-31-220; 16-11-620]
[?¢‚Ǩ?ìProper sign?¢‚Ǩ? defined: 23-31-235 (B)]
[Misdemeanor - $200 or 30 days imprisonment]

A CWP does not authorize carrying a firearm in the following places [Section 23-31-215 (M)]
[Misdemeanor - $1000 and/or 1 year imprisonment & revocation of CWP for 5 years]

Into a law enforcement office or facility

Into a detention or correctional facility

Into a courthouse or courtroom

Into a polling place on election day

Into an office or business meeting of governing body of a county, public school district,
municipality, or special purpose district

Into a school or college athletic event not related to firearms

Into a day care or pre-school facility

Into a place where carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

Into a church or other established religious sanctuary except with express permission of the
appropriate church official or church governing body

Into a hospital, medical clinic, doctor?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s office, any facility where medical services or procedures performed except with express permission of employer

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
This was in Hatchat by a vendor from Canada

Hello Everyone,

See that you citizens of the USA have the financial people telling you
all how to dress. The policy began in Massachusetts, where bank
officials say it's hard to know how many robberies have been avoided by
the no-hat, no-hood, no-sunglasses policy. The same "dress code" has
also been adopted statewide in Missouri, Oklahoma and South Carolina,
the Cincinnati Enquirer said Monday.

Is this sweeping the nation down there? How will this affect your hat
business? Are armed hat check businesses going to spring up outside your
local banks? Will bank robbers now disguise themselves as Red Hat
Society members?

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by Michaelson
Humm. I hadn't thought of that either. What about transitions, which is what I wear? Those ARE my regular glasses, and on a sunny day are as dark as a pair of sunglasses! More complicated than they thought! Regards. Michaelson

I guess you could go in, but you'd have to wait at the door until your glasses changed!!LOL

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS

The policy began in Massachusetts, where bank
officials say it's hard to know how many robberies have been avoided by the no-hat, no-hood, no-sunglasses policy.

While living in Mexaachusetts, nobody gave me any crap about me and my fedora in the bank. Granted... I've always lived in small towns where everyone knows everybody and everybody else's buisness.

Damn I am jealous. I couldn't get a permit to carry here if my life depended on it. The nanny state we have here is infuriating. No, I am not leaving. I prefer to stay here and keep fighting until everyone agrees with me. I hope I live a long, long, long time. LOL LOL LOL
Next week I will wear my hat into the bank and see what they say. Should be interesting. ;)

Regards to all,

J

STHill

One of the Regulars
All right, boys, just for kicks, I'm going to the bank tomorrow to make a deposit. And you know what? I'm gonna be packing heat and wearing my panama that Robert provided and Art blocked, AND I'm gonna be sporting Raybans. Hell, I might wear a trench coat. And when I leave the bank, while still so attired, I'm going to the liquor store and pick up a bottle of Johnny Walker Red for the weekend. And I'm doing it because I can. Or at least, I think I can. Guess we'll find out.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
THANK THE LORD I LIVE IN TEXAS!!!! The Texas legislator is full of idiots, but even they would never pass a law like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay