Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Longer For Sale, Superfino Panama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about just showing the rare museum quality hat that you have so we as lovers of rare objects that we can't afford can marvel at the beauty of such a thing. Even if photos don't do it justice it would be nice to see it anyway.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Please do share photos in any case. There are thousands of people here who will appreciate it very much. We are all about sharing, teaching and learning what we can from each other. You might also consider starting a thread in "Hats" to share the hat and what you know about it.

We have been privileged to see all sorts of rarities, extraordinary examples and one-of-a-kind historical finds here at The Fedora Lounge. We learn from everything we see here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Two observations -

When I first saw the post I thought that Jordan was simply inviting fellow loungers to see the hat for the pleasure of the opportunity. I myself didn't initially realize that it was even for sale. OK so I'm naive -

I have had some experience buying antique oriental carpets over many years. Rugs are obviously a much more costly pursuit. And hats are of course a very differant sort of collectable. But for what it's worth, it's not uncommon for some rug dealers to decline to publish prices. Instead they quote prices privately on the basis of a personal inquiry only. Nor is this practice uncommon in the world of art and elsewhere.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with this style of pricing (or that it is or is not appropiate) in this instance. I'm saying only that the practice is not uncommon in certain circles.

Even if I'm not a prospective buyer, I too would love to see the hat. Had I been in the area I would have called to arrange that.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
DOUGLAS said:
How about just showing the rare museum quality hat that you have so we as lovers of rare objects that we can't afford can marvel at the beauty of such a thing. Even if photos don't do it justice it would be nice to see it anyway.

Wonder if SPRFINO's hat could be better than this one. Doubt it: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=128686&postcount=1

(The photos used to be in that thread, but they've disappeared :( )

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
zetwal said:
I have had some experience buying antique oriental carpets over many years. . Nor is this practice uncommon in the world of art and elsewhere.

I'm saying only that the practice is not uncommon in certain circles.
You cite the most byzantine sectors of the marketplace.

Look at the photos and info available for a wristwatch offered for sale. You can find the same for high end cars, yachts, planes and homes.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
You cite the most byzantine sectors of the marketplace.

Look at the photos and info available for a wristwatch offered for sale. You can find the same for high end cars, yachts, planes and homes.
Tomasso, Extra points will be awarded for the use of byzantine. ;) :)

Great tagline at the end of the Patek Phillipe offering:

There will be time to murder and create.....In a minute there is time. [T.S. Eliot]

RedPop4

One Too Many
carter said:
Tomasso, Extra points will be awarded for the use of byzantine. ;) :)

Great tagline at the end of the Patek Phillipe offering:

There will be time to murder and create.....In a minute there is time. [T.S. Eliot]
Especially appropos using byzantine in reference to Oriental rugs and carpets.... some of the best from "Asia Minor..." ;)

SPRFINO

Familiar Face
If you really are interested you will call me or at least pm me and request photos. It is easy to determine who is really interested from those merely windowshopping.

Zetwal appears to be a true connoisseur, knowing that collectors of fine objects tend to deal outside the spotlight rather than in it. Nobody cares to hide the price of expensive cars or boats or watches when the object of such persuit is conspicuous consumption and when any other Joe can go out and purchase the same.

I have received three inquirys, two by phone and one pm. One caller began with "You have a hat for sale?" and hung up after hearing a price. This is not a person I would sell to if they offered me any amount of money.

Some day the right person will come along who will truly appreciate what I have to offer. This may not be that time and that is fine.

Carlisle Blues

Let's cut to the chase. Post a photo showing a ruler against the weave so I could count for myself.

What shape is the item in. In my experience your tactics may produce an illusion of artificial competition, thereby driving the price up.

I am not asking you to post a price, I however, need a basis to discuss any price.

Quite frankly, my discussions with Brent Black or Panama Bob or Gary White or Major Moore have ever taken this kind of turn.

I suppose there are as many buyers out there as are Montecristis[huh]

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Carlisle Blues said:
Let's cut to the chase. Post a photo showing a ruler against the weave so I could count for myself.

Look, it's not difficult to follow the seller's instructions. Do you have a phone? Can you use Skype on a computer? Then call the seller up and ask for him to send you a photo. If you have no respect whatsoever for his instructions, why on earth should he respect your demands?

DOUGLAS

Marc Chevalier said:
Wonder if SPRFINO's hat could be better than this one. Doubt it:

I remember that thread and the hat Marc.Sharptoys does have the benchmark. That hat was spectacular. As is the one I have from you.

I don't have a problem with the way SPRFINO is trying to sell his hat,objects of such rarity are often sold in this fashion,although usually not on a board as this one. I just want to see it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
SPRFINO said:
Zetwal appears to be a true connoisseur, knowing that collectors of fine objects tend to deal outside the spotlight rather than in it.
Are you familiar with Christie's, Sotheby's, etc., etc., etc.,............:rolleyes:

rgraham

A-List Customer
I believe my friend was one of the callers. Not the one that hung up I might add.

He did mention a price, and, it didn't seem that out of line with a hat of this quality. However, he chose to pass on the offer. Not because of price, but because of the sizing and dimensions of crown and brim. I don't believe he saw any pictures.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
How About This?

You could post a picture or two, charge each lounger who views it 25 cents for the privilege of gazing upon such a miracle, and you'd wind up with so much money (not that that's the object!) that you could donate to a museum that would appreciate its m_______m quality. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy