Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nomex Flyer jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Whoah! Did someone say nomex is boring?!? OMG!
LOLZ
I bought a 45 and a 36 last year and love the trim fit from the bi-swing backs.
Than I thought about how relatively rare they are, so I bought a more modern 45 without it.
Then I saw that Maverick will wear one in the new Top Gun movie, so I bought another modern 45 and 36 because when that movie hits the cinemas I think there will be a rush on the real thing pushing up used prices stupidly. And the malls will be full of cheap simulacra, making the real thing kinda 'cheesy' for s couple of years, so I'm wearing the hell out of mine now.
I pulled out my jackets today after being reminded of them by this thread and I can see why I said they can be boring, since they're basically all the same. But they fit me well, esp since I've gone up a bit in the chest. I'm tempted to sell them on but I'd never be able to replace them or get much $$ for them. We'll see about the new Top Gun, as Edward always says a popular movie is the best way to spark interest in flight jackets.

My collection:
2 bi-swing 45/P
1 plain 45/P
2 bi-swing 36/P (one with extra velcro)
4 plain 36/P (two with extra velcro)
2 nylon 45/P (Alpha and Levis)

By the way BigJ, since you're in Japan, I notice that Houston has done a really convincing job of a very early bi-swing 45/P jacket with removable inside warning flag pocket and correct military tag and zippers. I'm very impressed and would get one if I could! Here's a link:
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/waiper/item/hoj011203101/

Justhandguns

Practically Family

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Looks good, but is that nylon only? Not Aramid or Nomex?
It's nylon. The thing is that finding an early model (i.e. mid-1970s) military 45/P in mint condition will get harder as time goes buy, and one might not want to wear it regularly, so from what I can see this Houston civilian nylon is a good copy of the early 45/P jackets that one could wear as a daily driver and not worry about spilling coffee on, etc.

Edward

Bartender
Whoah! Did someone say nomex is boring?!? OMG!
LOLZ
I bought a 45 and a 36 last year and love the trim fit from the bi-swing backs.
Than I thought about how relatively rare they are, so I bought a more modern 45 without it.
Then I saw that Maverick will wear one in the new Top Gun movie, so I bought another modern 45 and 36 because when that movie hits the cinemas I think there will be a rush on the real thing pushing up used prices stupidly. And the malls will be full of cheap simulacra, making the real thing kinda 'cheesy' for s couple of years, so I'm wearing the hell out of mine now.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what the impact is: I should think that if the film bombs it might not send prices up, but for something that has an established collector base I can't see them ever going *down* in value, all other things being equal.

Of course, the flipside of a successful film leading to more market demand can also be the stimulation of more production of new jackets to meet that demand; it would be nice to see more availability of decent repops of some jackets than is currently the case.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Pulled out all my nomex this morning and tried it on and took a few photos. I've decided to move on my two Valley 36P jackets and my Valley 45P and Greenbrier 45P as none of these feel all that comfy anymore when wearing. I'll keep three 36P jackets which feel pretty good, and one 36P which was my first nomex jacket and hence somewhat sentimental. It's odd how there's very little variation in measurements by manufacturer but often the fit feels quite different!

Anyways, no point having stuff sitting around that isn't being worn.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Been looking at nomex prices on e-bay to see where we're at and 45/P jackets can be had really cheap. However, 36/P jackets are typically priced 3 or 4 times higher. I didn't expect that!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Doctor Damage, that is good news. But I still think the only way is up for nomex over the next couple of years. I'm surprised that the 45's aren't getting better prices- I find mine much more wearable than the 36's; lining isn't as warm as an MA-1, but enough that I don't need a sweatshirt under them.
I've got a spotless Valley Apparel CWU-45/P in size XXXL (50-52) that's way too big for me and I keep meaning to sell it, but I can't help that think it'll fetch better money after Top Gun 2 drops.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
111121-F-BW921-002 - Copy.JPG

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
This morning it was far, far below freezing and I had to clean snow of my car but didn't want to put on a clumsy parka. On a whim I put on one of those 1970s nomex BDSM style winter hoods, then my oldest 45/P, and was warm enough to get the job done. The fit is acceptable although I can't zip it up fully as a snorkel but they only came in one size and as I said it got the job done. The photo below was pulled from the interweb here: LINK.

winterflyershood-1.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been looking for one for a few years but they're so expensive; every time I see an exception it turns out being a nylon replica. (I like nylon flight jackets as evidenced by my N-3B, MA-1, B-15 etc but I want the Nomex based designs in Nomex.)

mumpy

A-List Customer
Here is one I just found in size Large (2010 Valley Apparel) offered at around $200

1688373864794.png

I think the fit changed after 2010 so this may not be the newer trim fit. I am not sure.

I have also found the CWU-36P, basically brand new without tags (2014 Valley Apparel) at around $175 some time ago and another 45P (pre 2010 but almost mint) at around $110 or so.

Generally it is better to search with the terms on the label itself, like "Jacket Flyer's Aramid" etc. Anyone who knows what CWU-36P means will price it accordingly.

Last edited:

Aloysius

Here is one I just found in size Large (2010 Valley Apparel) offered at around $200

View attachment 529987

I think the fit changed after 2010 so this may not be the newer trim fit. I am not sure.

I have also found the CWU-36P, basically brand new without tags (2014 Valley Apparel) at around $175 some time ago and another 45P (pre 2010 but almost mint) at around $110 or so.

Generally it is better to search with the terms on the label itself, like "Jacket Flyer's Aramid" etc. Anyone who knows what CWU-36P means will price it accordingly.

Yeah I have found a few Large ones but they’re too big for me (in typical flight jacket fashion since they were worn over flight suits).

mumpy

A-List Customer
Yeah I am wearing medium with this one.

Just for reference, these are the measurements:

1688376002050.jpeg

1688376011188.jpeg

From center back:
1688376020440.jpeg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Thanks for posting those measurements of your size M jacket, Mumpy. Aloysisus, you might find a L too big for you, but sleeve length is most important, and as you can see from the measurements above, going down to a M means a much shorter sleeve. I wear a L and all of mine (both 36P and 45P) have sleeves in the 36" to 37" range, with the oldest from 1979 at 38". If you want a slimmer fit, avoid genuine military gear...

Aloysius

^ Thanks for posting those measurements of your size M jacket, Mumpy. Aloysisus, you might find a L too big for you, but sleeve length is most important, and as you can see from the measurements above, going down to a M means a much shorter sleeve. I wear a L and all of mine (both 36P and 45P) have sleeves in the 36" to 37" range, with the oldest from 1979 at 38". If you want a slimmer fit, avoid genuine military gear...

It's not about slim fit per se–I definitely recognize that these are deliberately cut big, because they're outermost garments. On a similar note I have surplus ECWS mittens and they are hugely too big for me (because they assume you're wearing a couple of lays of gloves underneath).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner