Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nomex Flyer jacket

calderoni

New in Town
Hallo guys,

this is my first post and i wanted to know from you guys if you could help me. I'm an aviation fan and i wanted to start collecting original Nonmex JAcket really used in air force or Navy. Could you tell me what's the real manifacturer/ brand that produces this jackets? I heard about nomex but looking on ebay about CWU-36 i found many different brands like Isratex, Creative apparel Assoc, Alpha Industries, Gibraltar INC, Valley apparel LLC... Which is the real brand really used by the USAF or Navy crew?
I first bought a Valley apparel jacket size Large and it was very short for me even if the sleeves were ok. i'm 192 cm (i live in Rome) and i usually usexl - 2xl for the normal jacket. What should i look for? The fit smaller right?
Many thanks to your kind help; i really appreciate it

Cal

Otter

One Too Many
Other question: what's the difference between cwu 36p and cwu 45p?
thx
The 36 is a summer weight jacket, the 45 is a colder climate jacket. Use caution around the Isratex ones as iirc they had their contract revoked due to quality issues.
Having said that, I have one of their jackets that was issued to helicopter crew and it seems OK, it is my usual hot weather jacket. Size is large standard and it fits me well at 5'10" and 44" chest.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I know that Alpha Industries makes nylon copies, but I don't believe they made Nomex.

I just say that because Alpha is a very popular aftermarket supplier but might not be what you are looking for.

(Edit: I might be wrong on this, but would just encourage you to check as I have never seen an Alpha Nomex jacket).

Deacon

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Actually, Alpha was a supplier of CWU-45P jackets and may have supplied CWU-36Ps as well. I know they supplied CWU-45Ps because I have three and they are all very well made jackets. I also have an Isratex CWU-45P and an Isratex CWU-36P. I've had no issues with either, but Isratex did have quality issues with their flight suits, as I recall.

As to which companies produced flight jackets for the military...all four of the ones you mention in the OP were suppliers at one time or another.

Here's a good rule of thumb for deciding if a jacket is actual military issue: Look on the tag for a DA, DSA, DLA or SPO number. Those prefixes denote the various U.S. Government departments that have administered the issuance of US military gear since the early sixties. If it has such a number there is an excellent chance its real. If it lacks that number it is probably civilian.

Here's a photo of the tag from an issued USAF A-2. The SPO number indicates it was made by Avirex in 1998.

Dscn0035.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
My apologies,

As I started to look around a bit more, I saw that I was incorrect in my earlier statement. I had never seen a real Nomex Alpha jacket, but I only had the few I was issued and so was probably speaking hastily.

Deacon

calderoni

New in Town
O wow Atticus u r an encyclopedya!
Thx
What about the sizes? if i use an XL with nike? Should i go with XXL with CWU 45p? The length of the sleeves with a large jacket were almost ok but....too short!!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm embarrased to admit that I have no idea how many jackets are in my collection. Probably more than a hundred. My main interest is Cold War Era US flight jackets...but I also like USN deck jackets and civilian leather jackets...and more recently...vintage work jackets. I probably have only ten or twelve Nomex flight jackets, but I wear them often. IMO, the modern CWU-45P is probably the best designed flight jacket ever made.

AF

alec0226

New in Town
Alpha made Nomex CWU-36/P and 45/P by goverment contract, and also made non-contract Nomex CWU-36/P and 45/P for civilian market.

As long as the tag has a goverment contract number, the fabric has to be Nomex.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21