Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Normandy Then and Now

Doublegun

Practically Family
Absolutely fascinating. I would love to follow the invasion from the beaches of Normandy through the country side.

DNO

One Too Many
Thanks for the link, AmateisGal. Love the comparison photos. I used to be a big fan of After the Battle magazine.

Otter

One Too Many
we took a little cottage about 20 miles south of Caen for a week 2 summers back. We visited the beaches and did the usual touristy type things but what I noticed was how much the countryside has changed. Very little is left of the Bockage type terrain that made fighting so awkward. The gorge country to the South of Vire known as "Little Switzerland is particularly beautiful.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the great link AmateisGal! It is still a life goal to make it to Normandy - as many times as I have been to France I have yet to have the opportunity to break away and see the sites on my own.

M.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Dismantling took place at all the sites.....especially the iron/steel work and floating roadways. The sunken vessels and submerged caissons were left because they were too hard to remove. Other points that were anchored in some way were also left behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart