Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Here's the custom beaver in pecan. 5-3/4" open crown, then a center dent and moderate side dents to start out. Dimensional brim of 2-5/8" front and back with the sides at 2-1/2", ribbon, bow and brim all used a dark brown ribbon. I love this hat. Super nice hand to it and although it's harder to photograph with the sheen I get from the indoor and meager outdoor light, it really is a nice, rich, deep looking brown with undertones of blue and copper. Just 9 weeks start to finish, which includes the wait time.

i-msK5t5C-L.jpg

i-z7CmNN6-L.jpg

i-836mbL4-L.jpg

i-8GDWwHx-L.jpg

i-9X6HWrW-L.jpg

i-h97rCB7-L.jpg

i-TRnMw4T-L.jpg

i-VSbP6dx-L.jpg

We ended up driving down yesterday afternoon. Got a hotel room, then went over to see Mike. His beautiful wife and daughters came in a little while later, so we got to see them again too.

First up is the old Stratton western I had Mike clean, reblock and crease more like an outback hat with a 3" raw brim. I was going to have Mike use the rodeo strings for a new hatband, but they didn't work out so we went with a real nice band made of buffalo hide that has great texture to it.

Now this hat was a beater I got just because the Stratton name is a name from my mother's side of the family. It was DIRTY. Someone had hacked on the brim at one point and it had been creased a couple different ways so there were wrinkles and creases where you don't want them. I was concerned that the old creases would show up even after reblocking. Worse yet, although it was marked 7-3/8, it was so tight it actually caused headaches if I wore it more than about 20 minutes. Even then, it would leave a red mark on my forehead...

Well, it's a NEW hat! No kidding. I LOVE it. I can't believe the transformation.

Before pics from ebay:

i-r3nh58J-L.jpg

i-6sRb9Bf-L.jpg

i-CRZ5WCd-L.jpg

And pics of my new hat (after the transformation):

i-cvkr9kt-L.jpg

i-BKstg5d-L.jpg

i-mh45TqQ-L.jpg

i-XBW4ZTd-L.jpg

This is where I most feared that the prior bash would still show up. My fear was unfounded:

i-9btktfg-L.jpg

The sweatband was replaced, but I had Mike keep the Stratton liner, just for the family name:

i-79WBMDT-L.jpg

The two spots in the above pic are rain drops. I wore this hat last night in Eugene when we went out for dinner. It got soaked. It was dry this morning and a gave it a quick brushing. The heavy western felt is awesome and Mike did a fantastic job. I left another hat with him to replace the liner. And this baby fits like a glove now, too.

The sweatband lays perfectly flat. Putting a "Like Hell It's Yours" card under the sweat is what causes a slight wrinkle you see in the picture.

I'll post more pics after we run to the grocery store. There's supposed to be an even bigger storm tonight with high winds again.
Love this, but are you holding out on the "other" hat you went to pick up? That is the one I'm eager to see!

We ended up driving down yesterday afternoon. Got a hotel room, then went over to see Mike. His beautiful wife and daughters came in a little while later, so we got to see them again too.

First up is the old Stratton western I had Mike clean, reblock and crease more like an outback hat with a 3" raw brim. I was going to have Mike use the rodeo strings for a new hatband, but they didn't work out so we went with a real nice band made of buffalo hide that has great texture to it.

Now this hat was a beater I got just because the Stratton name is a name from my mother's side of the family. It was DIRTY. Someone had hacked on the brim at one point and it had been creased a couple different ways so there were wrinkles and creases where you don't want them. I was concerned that the old creases would show up even after reblocking. Worse yet, although it was marked 7-3/8, it was so tight it actually caused headaches if I wore it more than about 20 minutes. Even then, it would leave a red mark on my forehead...

Well, it's a NEW hat! No kidding. I LOVE it. I can't believe the transformation.

Before pics from ebay:

i-r3nh58J-L.jpg

i-6sRb9Bf-L.jpg

i-CRZ5WCd-L.jpg

And pics of my new hat (after the transformation):

i-cvkr9kt-L.jpg

i-BKstg5d-L.jpg

i-mh45TqQ-L.jpg

i-XBW4ZTd-L.jpg

This is where I most feared that the prior bash would still show up. My fear was unfounded:

i-9btktfg-L.jpg

The sweatband was replaced, but I had Mike keep the Stratton liner, just for the family name:

i-79WBMDT-L.jpg

The two spots in the above pic are rain drops. I wore this hat last night in Eugene when we went out for dinner. It got soaked. It was dry this morning and a gave it a quick brushing. The heavy western felt is awesome and Mike did a fantastic job. I left another hat with him to replace the liner. And this baby fits like a glove now, too.

The sweatband lays perfectly flat. Putting a "Like Hell It's Yours" card under the sweat is what causes a slight wrinkle you see in the picture.

I'll post more pics after we run to the grocery store. There's supposed to be an even bigger storm tonight with high winds again.
What a great transformation.....turning a wreck into such a great hat!

Here's the custom beaver in pecan. 5-3/4" open crown, then a center dent and moderate side dents to start out. Dimensional brim of 2-5/8" front and back with the sides at 2-1/2", ribbon, bow and brim all used a dark brown ribbon. I love this hat. Super nice hand to it and although it's harder to photograph with the sheen I get from the indoor and meager outdoor light, it really is a nice, rich, deep looking brown with undertones of blue and copper. Just 9 weeks start to finish, which includes the wait time.

i-msK5t5C-L.jpg

i-z7CmNN6-L.jpg

i-836mbL4-L.jpg

i-8GDWwHx-L.jpg

i-9X6HWrW-L.jpg

i-h97rCB7-L.jpg

i-TRnMw4T-L.jpg

i-VSbP6dx-L.jpg
Gotta luv it! We now need a "twin" picture with our two NW hats. He could make a commercial for TV with it!

KY Crusader

A-List Customer

i-msK5t5C-L.jpg

i-z7CmNN6-L.jpg

i-836mbL4-L.jpg

i-8GDWwHx-L.jpg

i-9X6HWrW-L.jpg

i-h97rCB7-L.jpg

i-TRnMw4T-L.jpg

i-VSbP6dx-L.jpg
Absolutely fabulous! I can certainly "see" the hat despite the photos. Intriguing specs and a wonderful crease. And that pecan felt really works well with the brown ribbon. Congrats!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

i-msK5t5C-L.jpg

i-z7CmNN6-L.jpg

i-836mbL4-L.jpg

i-8GDWwHx-L.jpg

i-9X6HWrW-L.jpg

i-h97rCB7-L.jpg

i-TRnMw4T-L.jpg

i-VSbP6dx-L.jpg
Out flippin' standing! That guy does some fine work. Good job on the crease!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Selfie with the beautiful "early thirties" fedora I just got from Mike. I only wanted a center dent to start, but I may decide to add front or side dents later.

View attachment 58227

This my first custom hat - and my all-beaver-felt hat - and I'm very glad I decided to go with Northwest. The quality of Mike's work for the price is fantastic!
I didn't see that till just now Doc. Beautiful work there. I think it looks great without the dents. Either way it's sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes