Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

carlisle lords hat.jpg

Like this one, only in a nice dove grey color. Adornments to be determined, possibly contrasting darker grey? burgundy?

Exactly where I'm trying to go with my latest (I'm sure not last) bespoke from Mike. Lord's Hat is a term I see more in Europe than here. I wonder if there is an American equivalent name. Kind of like Derby - American, Bowler - British??
Not that I have found and the term seems general in scope. I have seen numerous variations on the theme.

View attachment 59558
Like this one, only in a nice dove grey color. Adornments to be determined, possibly contrasting darker grey? burgundy?
I wear a 7 3/8 but have what I consider to be a fat head. Need to be careful with the proportions. If the brim is too narrow it sits atop my head looking like a beanie. On my Lord's I hat him extend the brim a bit and heighten the crown a 1/4". Surprising what a diff only an 1/8th or 1/4 inch will make to the look of the hat.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm on the block with my very first order for a custom hat, with John Penman. I was with John yesterday picking out ribbon.

While there I handled a very cool hat, it's on the facebook page...look and maybe get ideas? Kind of a fedburg...

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
OK, I need some opinions here from the followers of this thread...
I found an image of the Board of Regents of Oregon Agricultural College from 1915. They were bankers, former Governors, lawyers and big business types. They dressed conservatively with nice Homburgs...but how about the guy on the right!!!
View attachment 59499 View attachment 59500

I want to be this guy! He has a certain "style" about him. I've got a hat in the Queue with Mike, and it is a grey homburg brimmed stunner like this one. Not sure if I can go with the wild bow, but the curl of that brim has me going! It also has the clipped center crease that is seen in these early hats. That may be a real statement for a "historian" hat.
View attachment 59501 Am I crazy?
Red:

I personally like the hat you've singled out very much. Undoubtedly, the gentleman in question put his own crease in the hat; it is very distinctive. My advise: Show Mike at NW the picture, and ask him if he can create his own interpretation of it. True artistry, IMHO, usually involves a combination of tradition and innovation. Just my 2 cents.

Red:

I personally like the hat you've singled out very much. Undoubtedly, the gentleman in question put his own crease in the hat; it is very distinctive. My advise: Show Mike at NW the picture, and ask him if he can create his own interpretation of it. True artistry, IMHO, usually involves a combination of tradition and innovation. Just my 2 cents.
Mike came through in spades with my 1942 Rose Bowl hat, exactly matching a photo from the OSC Yearbook. I am sure he is up for this challenge! I'm going there Monday morning to pick up a couple of hats he refurbished, with these pictures in hand!

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Mike came through in spades with my 1942 Rose Bowl hat, exactly matching a photo from the OSC Yearbook. I am sure he is up for this challenge! I'm going there Monday morning to pick up a couple of hats he refurbished, with these pictures in hand!
Now that you've brought up the topic, I should tell you I liked your Rose Bowl hat so much that I'm having Mike make me a clone, but in Natural felt with a Kangaroo ribbon. Should be done in about a month, and I'll be posting it here when I get my hands on it.

Now that you've brought up the topic, I should tell you I liked your Rose Bowl hat so much that I'm having Mike make me a clone, but in Natural felt with a Kangaroo ribbon. Should be done in about a month, and I'll be posting it here when I get my hands on it.

The Rose Bowl hat was well received on Homecoming Day. A son of one of the players on the '42 team told me he remembered his dad wearing this very hat "all the time". I let him hold the fedora, he was noticeably moved. The connection this modern bespoke hat provided to his father had me in tears also. He left with Mike's address, he to said he would be ordering "the Rose Bowl Hat". Fine
praise for Mike at NW Hats.

1942 Beaver-page-109 700x.jpg
The original inspiration for this hat, from the 1942 OSC Beaver Yearbook.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
The Rose Bowl hat was well received on Homecoming Day. A son of one of the players on the '42 team told me he remembered his dad wearing this very hat "all the time". I let him hold the fedora, he was noticeably moved. The connection this modern bespoke hat provided to his father had me in tears also. He left with Mike's address, he to said he would be ordering "the Rose Bowl Hat". Fine
praise for Mike at NW Hats.

View attachment 59618 The original inspiration for this hat, from the 1942 OSC Beaver Yearbook.
That's the best part of the whole process, isn't it? Very cool for the son to see and hold the hat. If it were me, I would have ordered a Rose Bowl Hat, too. It speaks volumes about Mike's abilities as a hatter, and your vision to recreate the '42 Rose Bowl Hat.

I've posted my redone hats on the New Hats thread. With the work that Mike did on them, they are like new! Fit like a dream. Odd balls, I am drawn to these different brands and rescue them from The "Bay" like stray cats.
30249549934_c2253de3e2_b.jpg
San Francisco Hatter, possibly old, even with the puny dimensions, short crown, 2" brim. There are no extant tags under the sweat (which Mike replaced), and the tip liner is some kind of oil skin.
30243880593_f33ce5df13_b.jpg
Hat City Hat Co., Danbury Conn. "A crown upon your head". Probably a jobber brand? Felt and construction are not what I would call "high end" like a Strat or Borso. Light and clay like at the same time.
30578167970_c256c99853_b.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Im psyched! Mike just got this in for me. Vintage hat body. Late '40s early '50s. Soft and supple. Lightweight abt 3 ounces. A bit more reddish brown then the pics show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy