Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Not sure on the pricing. I was thinking a real fan could order a custom in orange with a black ribbon/bow, kind of like a Dick Tracy fedora only with school colors.

RJR

We ended up driving down yesterday afternoon. Got a hotel room, then went over to see Mike. His beautiful wife and daughters came in a little while later, so we got to see them again too.

First up is the old Stratton western I had Mike clean, reblock and crease more like an outback hat with a 3" raw brim. I was going to have Mike use the rodeo strings for a new hatband, but they didn't work out so we went with a real nice band made of buffalo hide that has great texture to it.

Now this hat was a beater I got just because the Stratton name is a name from my mother's side of the family. It was DIRTY. Someone had hacked on the brim at one point and it had been creased a couple different ways so there were wrinkles and creases where you don't want them. I was concerned that the old creases would show up even after reblocking. Worse yet, although it was marked 7-3/8, it was so tight it actually caused headaches if I wore it more than about 20 minutes. Even then, it would leave a red mark on my forehead...

Well, it's a NEW hat! No kidding. I LOVE it. I can't believe the transformation.

Before pics from ebay:

i-r3nh58J-L.jpg

i-6sRb9Bf-L.jpg

i-CRZ5WCd-L.jpg

And pics of my new hat (after the transformation):

i-cvkr9kt-L.jpg

i-BKstg5d-L.jpg

i-mh45TqQ-L.jpg

i-XBW4ZTd-L.jpg

This is where I most feared that the prior bash would still show up. My fear was unfounded:

i-9btktfg-L.jpg

The sweatband was replaced, but I had Mike keep the Stratton liner, just for the family name:

i-79WBMDT-L.jpg

The two spots in the above pic are rain drops. I wore this hat last night in Eugene when we went out for dinner. It got soaked. It was dry this morning and a gave it a quick brushing. The heavy western felt is awesome and Mike did a fantastic job. I left another hat with him to replace the liner. And this baby fits like a glove now, too.

The sweatband lays perfectly flat. Putting a "Like Hell It's Yours" card under the sweat is what causes a slight wrinkle you see in the picture.

I'll post more pics after we run to the grocery store. There's supposed to be an even bigger storm tonight with high winds again.
Super renovation.

RJR

Here's the custom beaver in pecan. 5-3/4" open crown, then a center dent and moderate side dents to start out. Dimensional brim of 2-5/8" front and back with the sides at 2-1/2", ribbon, bow and brim all used a dark brown ribbon. I love this hat. Super nice hand to it and although it's harder to photograph with the sheen I get from the indoor and meager outdoor light, it really is a nice, rich, deep looking brown with undertones of blue and copper. Just 9 weeks start to finish, which includes the wait time.

i-msK5t5C-L.jpg

i-z7CmNN6-L.jpg

i-836mbL4-L.jpg

i-8GDWwHx-L.jpg

i-9X6HWrW-L.jpg

i-h97rCB7-L.jpg

i-TRnMw4T-L.jpg

i-VSbP6dx-L.jpg
That is a beautiful creation.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Not sure on the pricing. I was thinking a real fan could order a custom in orange with a black ribbon/bow, kind of like a Dick Tracy fedora only with school colors.
Well...the bespoke I'm awaiting is gray with a red ribbon. Kinda-sorta reminiscent to THE Ohio State University.

And ... once I get the brown Christy in shape to wear, I'm considering putting a gold (muted yellow) ribbon on in as homage to my HS colors.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
OK, I need some opinions here from the followers of this thread...
I found an image of the Board of Regents of Oregon Agricultural College from 1915. They were bankers, former Governors, lawyers and big business types. They dressed conservatively with nice Homburgs...but how about the guy on the right!!!
OAC Regents c1915 Flashy guy.jpg
HC 1166 OAC Regents c1915.jpg

I want to be this guy! He has a certain "style" about him. I've got a hat in the Queue with Mike, and it is a grey homburg brimmed stunner like this one. Not sure if I can go with the wild bow, but the curl of that brim has me going! It also has the clipped center crease that is seen in these early hats. That may be a real statement for a "historian" hat.
OAC Regents c1915 Flashy guy hat.jpg
Am I crazy?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
you talk like crazy is a bad thing... :D

the curl is unique and the front brim is like a fedora... a fedburg!

I'm not big on the clipped center crease, but appreciate the historical significance.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
OK, I need some opinions here from the followers of this thread...
I found an image of the Board of Regents of Oregon Agricultural College from 1915. They were bankers, former Governors, lawyers and big business types. They dressed conservatively with nice Homburgs...but how about the guy on the right!!!
View attachment 59499 View attachment 59500

I want to be this guy! He has a certain "style" about him. I've got a hat in the Queue with Mike, and it is a grey homburg brimmed stunner like this one. Not sure if I can go with the wild bow, but the curl of that brim has me going! It also has the clipped center crease that is seen in these early hats. That may be a real statement for a "historian" hat.
View attachment 59501 Am I crazy?
The guy second from the left has a similar styled hat...different color but same bash and brim shape....That "Fedburg" brim maybe was a thing at Oregon Aggi around this time.

The guy second from the left has a similar styled hat...different color but same bash and brim shape....That "Fedburg" brim maybe was a thing at Oregon Aggi around this time.
I have been looking at curled brim hats from the 1910-1918 era extensively. I see this on a lot of "homburgs", I wonder if they are influenced by some of the "swoopy" brimmed Derbies we see. I know there is a name for this exaggerated curl, can't remember it now. I am going for a more casual, daily wearable Homburg style without it just being a pencil curl brim.

I have been looking at curled brim hats from the 1910-1918 era extensively. I see this on a lot of "homburgs", I wonder if they are influenced by some of the "swoopy" brimmed Derbies we see. I know there is a name for this exaggerated curl, can't remember it now. I am going for a more casual, daily wearable Homburg style without it just being a pencil curl brim.
My recent purchase from Leon Drexler is a raw brim Homburg type in Natural Beaver. In his nomenclature it is a "Lord's" hat. I got it this way as I love the Homburg look but his Lord's hat with the raw edge, the light colour and the pinch makes it a little less formal looking to me than a straight up Hommie. He gives it a bit of a front dip and it has a dimensional brim. I'd love to see your creation once it is on your head.

My recent purchase from Leon Drexler is a raw brim Homburg type in Natural Beaver. In his nomenclature it is a "Lord's" hat. I got it this way as I love the Homburg look but his Lord's hat with the raw edge, the light colour and the pinch makes it a little less formal looking to me than a straight up Hommie. He gives it a bit of a front dip and it has a dimensional brim. I'd love to see your creation once it is on your head.
Exactly where I'm trying to go with my latest (I'm sure not last) bespoke from Mike. Lord's Hat is a term I see more in Europe than here. I wonder if there is an American equivalent name. Kind of like Derby - American, Bowler - British??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats