Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
I'm sure they are well worth the price, but it's always disappointing to see prices go up. I'm an Adam Smith old-school capitalist and if the market will bear his prices than he made the right business decision, but as the customer it bums me out. I placed an order with him before the price increase, but I think the future order I was considering will go to Gannon (before he raises his prices too :) )

We all know there are other hatters out there that charge twice as much or more for hats that are no better, and often not as good. Maybe it will just take some time to get past the disappointment and remember that the value is still there with the new pricing.

I will say that incremental price increases make me think it is inflation; his costs of doing business. These bigger increase feel differet...particularly with his 85% increase in Panama hats; although the hat bodies could be more volatile than I'm aware.
Just curious are you sure the price increases don't apply to orders in queue? It would make sense they would apply to new orders.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hear you on the cost of health insurance, as the increases year over year are painful. Unfortunately if you are not self employed one can't give yourself a 35% raise ($250 to $325 for beaver as in the case of Mike's beaver hats). Although I can imagine the costs of running a brick and mortar store is pricey. Lucky if you get a raise to cover inflation not to mention health insurance costs, group policies with employers are not too far off in costs vs individual policies.

I was upset with the increase, but I'm trying to look at it as a value proposition. Regardless of the price, and any justification for the increase, are they still good value? I think they are. I'll get past my disappointment and probably order from Mike again.

Just curious are you sure the price increases don't apply to orders in queue? It would make sense they would apply to new orders.

All I can say is that I have an order in queue but not yet under construction and he charged me the old price. Maybe if you paid the deposit before the price increase he's honoring the old price?

Spent the morning with Mike for my Birthday treat. Watched him build a sweat, stitching etc... Much to my surprise, he had my Baby Blue Duplex custom finished! He sent an email, must have missed it. This is the perfect hat for spring, on sunny and cool days. The light blue brim is Winchester bunny. He has pounced it to the quality of the finest beaver, great new process I understand. The crown is one of his better quality Cuenca bodies. The shark's gills are just a joy to behold, they are crisp and perfectly in line. This hat will be my signature lid for an upcoming Alaska cruise in June. Have to decide what to wear to the formal dinners on board???

22Jan18 Lt Blue Duplex crown.jpg
22Jan18 Lt Blue Duplex side.jpg
22Jan18 Lt Blue Duplex gills 550x.jpg
22Jan18 Lt Blue Duplex liner.jpg

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Spent the morning with Mike for my Birthday treat. Watched him build a sweat, stitching etc... Much to my surprise, he had my Baby Blue Duplex custom finished! He sent an email, must have missed it. This is the perfect hat for spring, on sunny and cool days. The light blue brim is Winchester bunny. He has pounced it to the quality of the finest beaver, great new process I understand. The crown is one of his better quality Cuenca bodies. The shark's gills are just a joy to behold, they are crisp and perfectly in line. This hat will be my signature lid for an upcoming Alaska cruise in June. Have to decide what to wear to the formal dinners on board???

View attachment 103754 View attachment 103755 View attachment 103756 View attachment 103757

This lid looks incredible!!!! I love the duplex. I would be very interested in seeing a close up of the bunny felt to see how Mike pounced it....from your pics it looks like beaver, very impressive. You were able to watch him build a sweat, stiching etc in a single day??

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 103754 View attachment 103755 View attachment 103756 View attachment 103757

WOW!

This lid looks incredible!!!! I love the duplex. I would be very interested in seeing a close up of the bunny felt to see how Mike pounced it....from your pics it looks like beaver, very impressive. You were able to watch him build a sweat, stiching etc in a single day??
Took him only a few minutes to sew it together with the ferrule, stitch it on the machine, and it was ready to put in someone's hat! Cool to see.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you should feel flattered. I sent Mike a photo of your hat (screen shot) and asked about getting my own.

The more I look at it the more I like it. I have a seersucker suit that needs this hat.

I just went to Northwest's website and was shocked to see how much the prices went up from what they were a month ago.
Example; Panama hats: old $100. New $185, beaver fedoras: old $250. New $325.

I'm not saying they aren't worth what he's charging and if his expenses have increased it's only fair that he passes them on but.... The increases are enough to make me look around at other hatters. I still might order another from Mike, but they no longer seem to be the great bargain they were just a few weeks ago. Then again, my Stetson Ten used to cost $10. Inflation is a fact if life.

I'd like to say this, $325.00 for a new beaver build is still a bargin.
At that old price of 250, the man isn't making enough to cover the nut. So I applaud his increase. He deserves it. I'm just curious if folks understand what the actual cost is for a beaver 100, shipped from Tennessee to his location out west. I bet, one body is a hundred dollars to the door. Then add everything else to it, materials. Then consider his time for his skill. Embrace his price increase and know it's still a very fair deal.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
At that old price of 250, the man isn't making enough to cover the nut. So I applaud his increase. He deserves it. I'm just curious if folks understand what the actual cost is for a beaver 100, shipped from Tennessee to his location out west. I bet, one body is a hundred dollars to the door. Then add everything else to it, materials. Then consider his time for his skill. Embrace his price increase and know it's still a very fair deal.

Totally agree ! Plus my guess that Mike probably puts out at least 1-2hats a day especially with the dedicated investment in automated equipment (sewing machines etc).....anybody can do the math and see profit with running a brick and mortar store is challenging.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you should feel flattered. I sent Mike a photo of your hat (screen shot) and asked about getting my own.

The more I look at it the more I like it. I have a seersucker suit that needs this hat.
This one cost more, but considering you have to use two different hat bodies blended together, understandable. Cheap at twice the price!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a great price. It's right in line with what it should be for a hatter of Mike's caliber. We enjoyed a long, wonderful period of low beaver hat pricing but now the dues are paid and we have the opportunity to continue to support Mike and let him make a nice living keeping our heads happy.

It's a great price. It's right in line with what it should be for a hatter of Mike's caliber. We enjoyed a long, wonderful period of low beaver hat pricing but now the dues are paid and we have the opportunity to continue to support Mike and let him make a nice living keeping our heads happy.
Agreed. Prices are in line. Dues are paid indeed. I did the same thing a long time back, and I charged little for a build. I'd like to think, that I shoot in similar caliber and have I've also paid my dues. Great post indeed, I'm not here to get into Mikes business, just very happy for him that he is doing well and earning a proper dollar for his work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I can't make a blanket statement but he charged me the old price and he hasn't started to build my hat yet. Perhaps it depended on when you made your deposit? I really don't know what the answer is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21