Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not exactly a fedora gripe, but still a valid gripe

JOVE23

New in Town
Alright.

As a baseball fan with a penchant ('fetish' sounds so unprofessional :D) for nostalgia, I recently took up the cause of the good old Brooklyn Dodgers. I'm all ra-ra on the bring them back to Brooklyn bandwagon etc etc etc, but one thing bugs me.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, makes an accurate reproduction Brooklyn Dodgers cap anymore!

The ones they sell through official MLB channels are more or less Boston Red Sox caps with a bad paint job. The Cooperstown Collection hats are good at reproducing the original feel of a 1950s era cap, but the B on the cap itself leaves a little to be desired. I've heard rumors and seen pictures of old Roman Pro caps that folks swear by, but again I don't see it.

What I'm asking (rhetorically) is why on earth nobody has taken the time to get this right? I know there's the whole niche market, "Let's sell these to kids who weren't even twinkles in their dads' eyes when they tore down Ebbets Field," and the assumption that everyone that cares is dead or moved on.

Well, I won't stand for it.

I'm also asking (not so rhetorically) if theres a baseball cap equivalent of Art Fawcett out there, who would make it his or her life's work to correct this egregious error.

I mean, sheesh, how hard is it to make this?

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=chuck+dressen+source:life&imgurl=0f5957e3b76d4616

Ok, I'm done ranting. I now open the floor to honest discussion or other rants, whatever floats your boat.

J.

(P.S. this same rant goes for the New York baseball Giants)

just_me

Practically Family
JOVE23 said:

brooklyn1.jpg

JOVE23

New in Town
Colby Jack said:
JOVE23 has got it bad!:eusa_clap :D ...Deanglen would be the one to contact.

In reality, I'm a Cubs fan, so I think in my perverted logic rooting for a team that no longer exists means they can't break my heart (like the Cubs do every year).

rrog

A-List Customer
JOVE23 said:
Close, but no cigar.

That's actually from the Bakersfield Dodgers farm team in the early 80s:

Can you help me out here? I've blown up both pictures to roughly the same size and except for maybe the color, I can't tell any difference. [huh] And color probably won't be seen accurately on a computer screen, not compared to seeing it in person. What am I missing?

rrog

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In the meantime, come and see a Brooklyn Cyclones game. They have a wonderful 7,000 stadium right on the ocean at Coney island, with the Wonder Wheel and the Cyclone Roller Coaster looming over the outfield.

JOVE23

New in Town
rrog and Mrs. Merl:

Although the Bs are similar (much more so than the Red Sox esque B the "official" cap uses), I'll try to point out differences:

Here's the original B up close, also notice the top of the tail, it seems to curve then almost straighten out and doesn't go beyond the top of the top circle, while the bottom tail sits higher than the bottom of the B circle, (could be that it's just pitched to the right some on the player's head) yet it too seems to straighten out (less noticeably though) on the bottom side, Neither finishes in a sharp point. The top tail is thicker. The bottom one also seems to trail out a little more (an optical illusion?)

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6095/cbetterpiccapwc7.jpg

As compared to the other hat, where the stem of the B has no straight lines in it at all:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7739/05132008mk0.jpg

Sure it's nitpicky, but it IS something someone should take the time to get right!

I'll look into ballcap.com

JOVE23

New in Town
rrog said:
Well now that you spell it out like that I can read it! You truly are a connoisseur.

rrog

Thank you!

But it's also supposed to be a historical item, therefore these knock-off caps are misrepresenting history, something I'm sure we all disagree with.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Okay, I can see there are differences now. I am not sure what exactly you would like to see as a result of this, but...you could contact powers having anything to do with merchandise for this team and let your disappointment be known. Or, if you are not on such a great crusade as that, you could just find any cap maker and have a proper logo digitized for your own personal collection.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Well, technology wasn't what it is now. But I don't think it would have been that variable. I think they would have had a fair regularity to the emblem on their caps. It wasn't the stone age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner