Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not sure about the hat thing....

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I got in a couple of hats last week...a newsboy and a stringy brim. I'm just not sure how I feel about myself in them. Did it take you a while to get used to how you look while wearing a hat? The gf thinks the fedora looks better than the newsboy and I would tend to agree....I really wanted the newsboy to work out but I'm just not sure it's "me". It's sort of tough trying to order something sight unseen and having the "vision" to picture how it will look on your head in person.
Comments or suggestions?

Dav3

New in Town
It took me some getting used to, that's for sure.

I guess the best way to go about buying a hat would be to find a place that sells them and try on a few to decide on a style you like before going and buying something online.

If, like me, that's not an option for you, I've occasionally tried photoshopping a hat I saw online onto a picture of myself to get a general idea. That helped me a few times from making some really bad purchases for myself.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Blackgrass said:
It's sort of tough trying to order something sight unseen and having the "vision" to picture how it will look on your head in person.

True. I think that it's helpful for the neophyte to visit a well stocked hat store and try on dozens of different hats in order to find the brim/crown combination that best suits them. Once this is determined, online ordering should be much more predicable.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Novice hat wearers deal with two different things: the way you think a hat looks on you, and the way that someone else thinks a hat looks on you. I'm convinced that tall-crowned fedoras suit my face best; my wife disagrees.

Furthermore, your perception of the way it looks on you can change within a matter of minutes. Look in the mirror long enough, and you'll see what I mean.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Novice hat wearers deal with two different things: the way you think a hat looks on you, and the way that someone else thinks a hat looks on you.

Furthermore, your perception of the way it looks on you can change within a matter of minutes. Look in the mirror long enough, and you'll see what I mean.

Well...they certainly started looking better after a couple of beers! lol

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you wear hats long enough every hat will begin to look good untill it is on your head. Take the advice and try on as many as possible. You will at least get a sense of what looks right on you.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
The problem in my area even though I live in the largest city in my state is lack of hat shops. I think the only options are ball caps at the athletic shops in the mail and kangol hats at the local "pimp shop".

I remember my family taking a vacation to Washington D.C. as a kid and all of us going to a hat shop in Georgetown. We all tried on different hats and had a great time....I've always loved hats but I'm having a hard time finding one that I feel like I look good wearing.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Don't force yourself. If you keep looking around and it's still not fun or it doesn't feel right, then don't wear a hat. No big deal! You can always try again later on.

People change (and product availability does too). In time, you may find that there are more hats to choose from locally, and you might feel differently about how they look on you. :)

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I find a lot of my customers find it easier to start with an ivy cap instead of a newsboy. No matter the hat or cap though it does take a little time to adjust to seeing yourself in one. Give it time and you'll be addicted like the rest of us.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aaron Hats said:
I find a lot of my customers find it easier to start with an ivy cap instead of a newsboy. No matter the hat or cap though it does take a little time to adjust to seeing yourself in one. Give it time and you'll be addicted like the rest of us.

I can just see Aaron handing out ivy caps
on the schoolyard. Trenchcoat filled with caps.

pusherman

If I were Blackgrass, I'd listen to the gf at least
until I had strong views of my own. The advantages are clear.
But you might add your location to your profile so people here
can tell you about hat stores in your area you might not know about.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I'm in Little Rock, Arkansas where these are popular!
hillbillyhat.jpg

I think Aaron made a great suggestion about an Ivy cap to start. I just need to find a good one in a brown tweed.

I like the stinger that I have but not too sure about the crown....It seems just a little to high and the bash is like your normal fedora (teardrop bash?) I'd love to check out other options on the bash for the stingers.

R

Red Beard

If you're confident enough, you can pull off any look. I don't think body proportions or head shape really matter that much. Don't get me wrong, I know certain people look better than others wearing certain hats, but at the end of the day, your confidence either makes it work or not.

As far as getting used to seeing yourself in a hat, well...the first time I wore a fedora, I had found one in a thrift shop. I put it on and drove home in it, with little more than a glance in the mirror. That's all I needed, and that hat probably looks the worst on me of all the hats I own, but it gets worn the most. [huh]

S

Samsa

This may sound incredibly vain, but in order to get used to the way I look in a new hat, I usually stand for a while in front of a mirror. Also, wearing it around the house for a few days will help get you used to the idea of wearing one. (I suppose this is not "proper," but it works.)

I've also found that my perception of how hats look on me changes from time to time. I went for a while over the summer wearing only a boater, and when I put my panama back on, I thought, "why did you think that you ever looked good in this?"

Don't give up yet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner