Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Notable Cigar Aficionados

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
There are some obvious ones of course. Men with great style, like George Burns. (Who smoked 15 Queens a day)

burnsbradbury.jpg

Shown here with a young Ray Bradbury

But I submit Sigmund Freud as my entry.
Freud.jpg

He reputedly smoked 20 or more a day.
Quote: "My boy, smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life, and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."

Who else?

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I don't think you will find anyone today who smokes fifteen cigars a day, simply because smoking is banned almost everywhere. And let's face it. Smoking that many cigars is bad for your health. Besides, 20 good cigars a day at todays prices :eek:

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Orvil Newton said:
I don't think you will find anyone today who smokes fifteen cigars a day, simply because smoking is banned almost everywhere. And let's face it. Smoking that many cigars is bad for your health. Besides, 20 good cigars a day at todays prices :eek:

At my local micro-brewery, one is not allowed to smoke cigars or pipes, but is allowed to smoke cigarettes. :mad:

NH

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Orvil Newton said:
Grant, reportedly smoked twenty a day. I could find no reference as to what brand or type.
p-10074.jpg

I found this in an article about Presidents:
Grant was said to smoke 20 cigars a day. His habit increased during the Civil War, after the Battle at Fort Donelson in Tennessee in mid-February 1862. As he later told General Horace Porter, "I had been a light smoker previous to the attack on Donelson .... In the accounts published in the papers, I was represented as smoking a cigar in the midst of the conflict; and many persons, thinking, no doubt, that tobacco was my chief solace, sent me boxes of the choicest brands .... As many as ten thousand were soon received. I gave away all I could get rid of, but having such a quantity on hand I naturally smoked more than I would have done under ordinary circumstances, and I have continued the habit ever since."

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Excellent calll Mike!

DOH! :eusa_doh:
How did I miss him???

one of my favorites quips from Groucho:
"Outside of a dog, a good book is a man's best friend, inside of a doog, it's too dark to read!"

I'd say many Allied (at least American) generals of WWII belong on the list as well. MacArthur's known by his pipe, but he was also known to have cigars with his subordinate commanders when visiting in the field. Ike as well, IIRC... and I wouldn't be surprised if Patton did as well.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
rmrdaddy, yes, cold and very snowy!

Diamondback, I recall hearing something similar once about MacArthur as well.....I'll try to find more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran