Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Notions about fit

barnabus

One Too Many
By way of whatever, here's a photo I took just now when I got in from a no-reason-but-the-sun's-shining ride.

This is my all season armoured riding jacket, from Merlin in oxblood cow. I bought it in a 40 to give me layering room on my 39" chest measurement. I always used to think I should have got a 38 because this felt a bit too roomy.

But here it is over just a t shirt, and as I posted earlier, lately I'm more concerned with just being comfortable.

And in spite of everything, I don't even think it looks like a generous fit. I think it looks like it fits just right. And it's not the jacket that's changed, it's my relaxing view on how a range of fits can still all fit.

IMG_20220508_164525580~2.jpg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
By way of whatever, here's a photo I took just now when I got in from a no-reason-but-the-sun's-shining ride.

This is my all season armoured riding jacket, from Merlin in oxblood cow. I bought it in a 40 to give me layering room on my 39" chest measurement. I always used to think I should have got a 38 because this felt a bit too roomy.

But here it is over just a t shirt, and as I posted earlier, lately I'm more concerned with just being comfortable.

And in spite of everything, I don't even think it looks like a generous fit. I think it looks like it fits just right. And it's not the jacket that's changed, it's my relaxing view on how a range of fits can still all fit.

View attachment 424200
Looks good. As if it should be like that ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
All are pretty good, but as far as sleeve length goes I think the second two have better sleeve length. I'm not one for having my sleeves piling up but they need to land below the wrist bone.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
The day before yesterday I received my latest highly anticipated vintage buy. As always I was somewhat worried about the 'fit'. With this one my biggest worry was about the body length being a bit short. Luckily the body length turned out to be pretty much what I would call 'perfect'. However, the overall 'fit' was a bit more generous than how I would normally wear my jackets. It wasn't bad or unwearable, it just felt a bit roomy. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed at first because the fit wasn't 'perfect'.

Later when I was editing the fit pics (my usual setup with the grey brick wall background) I realized it didn't look too big at all. The longer I looked at the pics, the more I actually loved the generous fit. Apparently @Imuricecreamman noticed the generous fit as well...

Which made me wonder...

What makes a good fit, what makes a bad fit, how is a halfbelt supposed to fit, how is a motorcycle jacket supposed to fit, is there such a thing as a perfect fit?

To illustrate, here's four halfbelts ranging from 21.5" ptp to 24" ptp. If any, which one of these would you call a 'perfect' fit? How do you like to wear yours? Are some measurements more important than others (eg sleeve length vs body length)? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

View attachment 423485 View attachment 423486 View attachment 423488
View attachment 423487
For me, it's a tie between the top two for best fit, but the bottom two are simply too roomy for my tastes. None of them look bad, of course, but if we're splitting hairs...

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
With vintage I accept different fits.
Short:
View attachment 423654 View attachment 423651

View attachment 423653 View attachment 423655
“Regular”:
View attachment 423656 View attachment 423657 View attachment 423658 View attachment 423659
And long:
View attachment 423664 View attachment 423665
I’m far, far less forgiving of repro’s. They have to hit the spec for specified fit. Vintage I’ll bend or barring that alter to suitable state. Which I did satisfactorily to me, with the Monarch and Phillips above.
I can’t help but wonder why the jackets I don’t spec, always make me happier.
What kind of jacket is that brown one with the vertical piping? It's really great.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
For me, it's a tie between the top two for best fit, but the bottom two are simply too roomy for my tastes. None of them look bad, of course, but if we're splitting hairs...
Since I've created this thread my style has somewhat changed: I mostly wear straight fit jeans now. I think jackets with a more generous fit (third and fourth) look better when worn with wider -non slimfit - trousers.

990C766C-6B87-4C23-8644-320FBB7B36EA.jpeg

jeo

One Too Many
Since I've created this thread my style has somewhat changed: I mostly wear straight fit jeans now. I think jackets with a more generous fit (third and fourth) look better when worn with wider -non slimfit - trousers.

View attachment 500799

I agree. Your vintage jackets look way better with wider cut jeans. Before the silhouette was very top heavy, now it’s more balanced.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
agree blue jeans looks better in wider leg somehow, nothing too extreme but something straight legged from the lower mid thigh down to the hem, however black jeans looks better in skinnier cut to me. I'm still undecided on cuffing though, if ever all my cuffing is temporary cuff and I uncuff it on the hanger by the end of that day. I really like how longer jeans breaks on boots and starts shaping creasing differently around the knee and lower leg

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As so often, completely a matter of taste.
I like slim jeans better than regular, skinny, however, I like neither on me nor on others.
What visually fits better, is certainly also related to the proportions of the body and the size.
And partly you should also include what shoes you want to wear with them.
And sorry guys, but with some of you I still find the slim better than the regular or wide pants ;)

torfjord

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 500799

I agree about the straight cut jeans working better in this context. Gives more balance to the silhouette.
But damn that collar. I just noticed it again when I looked more closely. It’s majestic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko