Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
certainlyred said:
Neither do mine, ggg. I'm a recovering anoretic, so I have a hard enough time keeping weight on!

But I do pilates, too, and they're amazing. You don't lose weight like cardio, but you get nice and toned. I do yoga as well.

Good luck with your own goals!

I have a Yoga dvd but i find it hard even though its for beginners.

I'm looking at Pilates, can you recommend any dvds or anything? [huh]

certainlyred

New in Town
Lil' Miss A said:
I have a Yoga dvd but i find it hard even though its for beginners.

I'm looking at Pilates, can you recommend any dvds or anything? [huh]

I got a DVD at Target by the Gaiam company. I really like it because it's for beginners, but also has alternative positions to hold if you're not flexible enough for the full extensions. And it's not cheesey, which is a majour turn-off for me and exercise videos. The instructor is Ana Cabán...They might have some of her videos on Target's website or on the Gaiam website. :)

EDIT: Wait, found it. This is my DVD: http://www.gaiam.com/product/media-library/pilates-dance-dvds/pilates-for-beginners/pilates+beginning+mat+workout+dvd.do

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Shooshoo, Lola, have you ladies found bellydance studios at all?

I'm thrilled to say mine is going wonderfully, we're learning a choreography piece even!:)

If anyone is interested I highly recommend it, it's loads of fun, and I'm even losing a couple pounds

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
CanadaDoll said:
Shooshoo, Lola, have you ladies found bellydance studios at all?

I'm thrilled to say mine is going wonderfully, we're learning a choreography piece even!:)

If anyone is interested I highly recommend it, it's loads of fun, and I'm even losing a couple pounds

ugh, no. as usual, my quarter is WAY busier than i thought it would be. i'm going to be taking some lindy next month though!

glad you're having fun!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
ggg, have you tried adding more avocados and other (healthy) fats? there's a south african nutrition expert who advocates a mostly raw diet. she recommends 2 avocados a day if you're trying to maintain weight, but just 1 if you're trying to lose! :eusa_clap maybe you could eat three? haha!

Hehe, I guess it's time to break out the guacamole!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
certainlyred said:
Neither do mine, ggg. I'm a recovering anoretic, so I have a hard enough time keeping weight on!

But I do pilates, too, and they're amazing. You don't lose weight like cardio, but you get nice and toned. I do yoga as well.

Good luck with your own goals!

I actually just had my first pilates class yesterday! Haha, I worked some muscles I didn't even know I had...

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
ugh, no. as usual, my quarter is WAY busier than i thought it would be. i'm going to be taking some lindy next month though!

glad you're having fun!

Isn't that always the caselol my term too, if I wasn't exercizing as much as I am, I'd be a wreck.

Lindy sounds fun though, let me know how it is:)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I've noticed since I've become a vegetarian (it's only been a month) that I've lost some weight. I feel a lot less bloated and my tummy is flatter. Bearing in mind that I haven't done any exercise whatsoever, I feel great! With regardings to exercise videos, I bought a Rosemary Conley set of 3 dvds just before christmas and I'd recommend it. I've only used it once (terrible, I know!) but it's quite good. I start a new job next week and the building has a free gym which is brilliant! I won't have any excuse of not working out now.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
I really wish there were some fun, easy to follow swing/jazz style fitness DVD's. That would be amazing!!!!! There is a really fun show Dvd called Burn the Floor and they have a cute swing routine. It's a little like "swing on speed" though...but still fun. I would really get into a fitness routine that had swing dancing for individuals and couples.:rolleyes:

Butterfield 8

New in Town
Once I get into the habit of walking/running I'm pretty good about keeping it going. Of course, these days I start then stop due to crazy schedule changes and I have to muster up the will to start it all up again.

I really try my best to eat healthy simply because I am an eater...I love food and it apparently loves me too :eek: I make sure to get only whole grains in everything from my bread to my cereal, I love my veggies (though I can't say the same for fruit), I try to keep from buying sweets, and I keep only good snacks available because I have absolutely no willpower. It's not easy to do in the beginning but much like the exercise, once you get into a groove with it your body craves it.

melbournian

New in Town
I started going to the gym again this month...I was a bit slack last month over the christmas period and put on a few pounds, but I'm trying to go 2-3 times a week. I usually do cardio or weights, and pilates once a week, and am slooooooooowly losing the weight I put on. It kind of helps that I'm a waitress so my job involves standing and walking around, but it doesn't help when the kitchenhand comes out to the bar with a bowl of french fries...

Diet wise I eat lots of fresh, home cooked stuff, very few processed foods, and I'm not really a dessert person (I've never been big on the idea of dessert every night - for me it's a treat when I eat out). We don't keep snacks, sweets or soda at home. My dad has type 2 diabetes and his dad also had it so my siblings and I are quite aware of eating healthily to minimise the chances that we'll develop it.

jayem

A-List Customer
After taking some pilates and yoga classes, I just invested in a yoga mat and ball and created my own exercises that I do daily. I know which areas I want to target, so I just work on those and don't stress out any areas that don't need work. Also, 5 and 8lb weights are a must for me. I don't bother counting or doing reps either, since it gets so tedious. I just quit when I get tired. Some days its a long work out, some days its a short one. Oh, and no eating after 9 PM. I'm one of those girls who gains weight easily, and has a curvy body so I need to take extra care of it to stay in shape.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Lil' Miss A - hang in there. If you continue with your exercise you will see results. Maybe your body is in a little bit of shock and is holding on to whatever it can, it may take time to adapt. That's a lot of walking, don't forget to give yourself a little down time to recover. ;)
CanadaDoll - isn't bellydancing wonderful? Enjoy.

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
scarlett said:
Lil' Miss A - hang in there. If you continue with your exercise you will see results. Maybe your body is in a little bit of shock and is holding on to whatever it can, it may take time to adapt. That's a lot of walking, don't forget to give yourself a little down time to recover. ;)

Thanks scarlett, my friends did mention that could happen. I measured myself last night and ive lost 3 inches from my waist and my hips, so somethings working :D

certainlyred

New in Town
jayem said:
Oh, and no eating after 9 PM. I'm one of those girls who gains weight easily, and has a curvy body so I need to take extra care of it to stay in shape.

According to a few nutritionists I've talked to, the whole gaining weight after a certain hour thing is really a myth. Who knew, right? Even Oprah stops eating after 8. But in all truth, it doesn't matter when you eat, but what you eat. I'm not telling you to change your routine, but I wouldn't worry about a glass of milk before bed.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
scarlett said:

It is fab, I am loving it!:D (and also frustrating as learning anything new islol) If you don't mind my asking, have you any tips on getting Drop Hips and Shoulder Shimmys isolated? I tend to keep moving other muscles, and though I try to practise 20-30 min daily I just can't seem to figure it out[huh]

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Canada Doll - just keep working at it, the isolations come with time. Watching other dancers is very helpful. Keep your body relaxed at all times, slight bend in the knee, make sure you are not leaning forward. When you are concentrating on a drop, think "snap" as you drop or lift the hip.
Goldwyn Girls suggestion is a good one too. Try youtube for some breakdown tutorials. I took classes with Jillina to get my percussive movements, Mesmera for smoothness and Princess Farhana for performance and fun (still take classes w/ the Princess)
Enjoy.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ok gals, instead of whining in the bathing suit thread, i'm gonna post here.

so. from riding my bike so much (and probably just being in my late 20s), my extra weight is starting to distribute itself in a really ugly way. basically, my legs, hips and butt are reasonably shapely, but my midsection is a disaster. all my extra weight is sitting between my boob-level and my hips. i know a person can't magically spot-reduce, but i'm trying to think of ideas to whittle away these areas without a ton of dietary restrictions or crazy amounts of aerobics. i'm a student AND a nanny and bike-commute at least 5 hours a week, so i don't exactly have a ton of extra energy to start a huge exercise routine, and not much time for going dancing.

does anyone have ANY ideas for me so i don't turn into an apple??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner