Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obviously, we are cutting edge!

Foofoogal

Banned
Fab. I am always amazed that it seems the last generations have not come up with some marvelous era or designs like the 1920s.
Art Nouveau, Art Deco, 1960s to me was the last true genius designs. Now it seems we just keep copying these.
Maybe it is due to not letting kids be creative. Playing in the dirt had its benefits.

I do see some Japanese designs that blow me away that are fresh and new.

(I do have the flapper body down pat though.)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
Fab. I am always amazed that it seems the last generations have not come up with some marvelous era or designs like the 1920s.

I don't think that's true at all. There are a lot of independent and student designers (not commercial designers, mind you) that are doing extremely interesting things, especially as far as integrating technology and design is concerned.

An interior decorator friend of mine won an award for this gown that she designed for an event that combined decorating materials with fashion. It is made entirely of wallpaper.
stitch.jpg

There is a yearly fashion event here in Boston called "Seamless: Computational Couture" - "seamless is a fashion event featuring innovative and experimental works in computational apparel design, interactive clothing, and technology-based fashion. each project [re]interprets the conceptual goal of a seamless relationship between technology and fashion. these are real clothes that inspire and provoke."

I think most fashion is the result of a natural progression from the styles of prior eras into something new. I mean, the mini-skirt was truly revolutionary, but it was also the natural evolution of the shortening of hemlines that had been set in motion in the 1920s. I think the next true revolution in fashion is coming to come not in the area of design, per se, but in the area of technology and functionality.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
sadly, while this means some good...like new shoes that are stylish...it also means fashionistas buying stuff on ebay and in stores......prices go up...and in a year when its no longer hip to look like a flapper......it all goes into a dumpster somewhere...or we can pray daily that they at least give it all back to goodwill....

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
sadly, while this means some good...like new shoes that are stylish...it also means fashionistas buying stuff on ebay and in stores......prices go up...and in a year when its no longer hip to look like a flapper......it all goes into a dumpster somewhere...or we can pray daily that they at least give it all back to goodwill....

My thoughts exactly. Here we go again...although now, we are screwed even more, because of the internet and how much more readily available these items are to a bigger audience. You had a better chance before when everyone had to do their own searching by hand and foot, and prices were kept somewhat even on the local scale. It so bums me out. :(

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I have notice Art Deco influences in the past season, and even the season before. What we are seeing on the runway now, was presented last year, so those in the "know" would have already picked up on these trends, as for them hitting mainstreet, I think most fashionistas who don't know anything about vintage wouldn't think of shopping on Ebay, and would probably get the modern copy from H&M.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
~*Red*~ said:
My thoughts exactly. Here we go again...although now, we are screwed even more, because of the internet and how much more readily available these items are to a bigger audience. You had a better chance before when everyone had to do their own searching by hand and foot, and prices were kept somewhat even on the local scale. It so bums me out. :(

The worst of it is that the trendier the "vintage look" becomes, the less chance those of us who live in the small towns have of getting our hands on any of the real stuff. None of the Goodwills around here carry any vintage anymore -- any that comes in is boxed up and sent on to the urban markets, where it brings top dollar. I can't blame them for wanting to make a buck while it's hot, but the days of great finds on the racks for $3.95 are long, long gone and never to return.

It's times like these I thank my grandmother once again for teaching me how to sew.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
The worst of it is that the trendier the "vintage look" becomes, the less chance those of us who live in the small towns have of getting our hands on any of the real stuff. None of the Goodwills around here carry any vintage anymore -- any that comes in is boxed up and sent on to the urban markets, where it brings top dollar. I can't blame them for wanting to make a buck while it's hot, but the days of great finds on the racks for $3.95 are long, long gone and never to return.

It's times like these I thank my grandmother once again for teaching me how to sew.

You're so right LizzieMaine, My husband and I were recently talking about this, but of a different fashion type.

epr25

Practically Family
I sincerely agree with this. I hate when fashion leans toward vintage. For this specific reason.

Miss Neecerie said:

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Yeah that bums me out even though my tastes go more towards the 40's and 50's.
I will say though the way they way the "new" fashions make them look trashy compared to the way they were worn in the day.

Mojito

One Too Many
Yes, we do have to hope that when these styles go out, savvy fashionistas sell it off on ebay to pay for their next purchase.

One of my dresses was deaccessioned from the collection of an Oz designer who collected 30s - 60s clothing not only for inspiration, but also to instruct his staff in techniques in making quality clothing.

I bought a dress from designer Lee Mathews last year that could be directly from the 1920s - a chemise cut dress, straight neckline, black silk crepe with a chiffon panel. When I wear it, everyone assumes it's vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80