Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ODDBALL's Jacket from Kelly's Heroes?

green papaya

One Too Many
seller's description:

WW2 leather jacket with 6th armored division patch and corporal rank on the arms. Size is a large 46. An old jacket but I don't know if it's an original wwii or a movie prop. I don't have any history so really don't know and am offering at a low starting bid. It's condition is a little tired from age. Please message with any questions.

looks like a nice jacket, possibly private purchase? the pockets are a different style than military issue, looks like a leather Tankers jacket with A2 style collar.

Attachments

• armor div jkt.JPG
    armor div jkt.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 5,540
  • 2015-06-30_094205.jpg
    2015-06-30_094205.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 3,550
Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I believe the movie jacket was just a contemporary (sixties) Schott bomber, not a real WWII military style. I had a Schott bomber back in the early eighties (model 674?) that had the same big steel zipper and visible brown snaps on the epaulets and pockets.

green papaya

One Too Many
I believe the movie jacket was just a contemporary (sixties) Schott bomber, not a real WWII military style. I had a Schott bomber back in the early eighties (model 674?) that had the same big steel zipper and visible brown snaps on the epaulets and pockets.

thats still a nice leather jacket, I like the well worn look like the one used in Kelly's Heroes by Oddball, his appears to have a fuller cut than the originals from WWII.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My Schott jacket was nothing like a proper A-2. Thick naked cowhide, three-piece sleeves, two-piece back (*), white acrylic pile lining in the body and quilted lining in the sleeves, G-1 style fake fur collar. A heavier jacket than an A-2 or G-1, more like a motorcycle jacket. I wore it daily through several NYC winters.

(* The current Schott 184 looks similar to mine, but the collar fur and lining are now removable, and the back construction is quite different, a G-1 style belted bi-swing.
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/a-2-naked-cowhide-leather-flight.htm?catID=46 I see they call it an A-2, which is hilarious.)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As this film was more of an 'Action Comedy' I guess the props department took a fair few liberties on Odd Ball's dress. There was no real need to look just right and in those days did anyone really care. It was the action scenes everyone wanted to see and not truly authentic uniforms hence a 'Mall' type jacket and are those English despatch riders goggles?
A fun film where even the SS get in on the laughs.

Edward

Bartender
Not Oddball's jacket, but likely one somebody has used as a costume at some point. That era of films rarely used accurate jackets or uniforms unless originals were available cheap....

I actually saw a guy dressed as Oddball at Goodwood Revival a couple of years ago, down to the right hair and beard. Very funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy