Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Methuselah said:
As for me, I LOVE gin, advocat & schnapps.
I don't mind Jager either, it angers up the blood don't you know :rage:

Maybe you're not setting your sights low enough:

Sanatogen or Aftershock for me.

And does anybody know a cocktail recipe that can make Galianno taste nice?

Ah Aftershock I remember that. There is a version of Aftershock, silver I believe, that is essentially super-syrupy concentrated Red Bull and then some alcohol. I've never worked out the difference between the green & blue except that the blue looks a bit like antifreeze.

Good call on the Gin, what's your brand of choice?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
Chartreuse. Why does it exist and why is it so expensive? Is there something that it can mix in that tastes good?

Heaps of drinks...chickie type drinks...did you know Cynar is made from artichokes?

filfoster

One Too Many
JaegerGelt

Methuselah said:
Do you mean Goldschlager? Jagermeister doesn't have gold flecks in it here anyway. Or is Jaegermeister something different?

My younger friends admit to occasionally drinking something they call Jaegermeister with small gold flecks in it. As if Jaegermeister needed anything else to make it worse. It may be a concoction that mixes two noxious spirits, one having the gold leaf in it, to amuse the bowels. Does anyone know more about this?

Boodles

A-List Customer
Extra Ginger Schnapps

I can't imagine that I forgot this stuff. This is something my viking friends, those from Wisconsin (you know who you are), drink and swear to liking it. It's one of those crazy things people do where they buy rounds of the stuff for the table while everyone is also drinking beer. Often, just to make things worse, they will eat a turkey gizzard or one of those salt cured herring things, the ones packaged and stapled to a cardboard display on the back bar. I cannot explain how bad the extra ginger schnapps really is. On the awful scale Jaegermeister has to hang it's head when in the company of this stuff. Do not dip your sheep or clean your hat in this junk. Woo wee.

filfoster

One Too Many
When Worse comes to Wurst

Boodles said:
I can't imagine that I forgot this stuff. This is something my viking friends, those from Wisconsin (you know who you are), drink and swear to liking it. It's one of those crazy things people do where they buy rounds of the stuff for the table while everyone is also drinking beer. Often, just to make things worse, they will eat a turkey gizzard or one of those salt cured herring things, the ones packaged and stapled to a cardboard display on the back bar. I cannot explain how bad the extra ginger schnapps really is. On the awful scale Jaegermeister has to hang it's head when in the company of this stuff. Do not dip your sheep or clean you hat in this junk. Woo wee.

I suppose many of these horrible concoctions reach their absolute nadir when turned into jello shots. Please, I hope these are never served in the Fedora Lounge! Bartenders, attend!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Art of Choke
1oz white rum
1oz Cynar
1/8 oz lime juice
1/8 oz demerara syrup
1/3 oz Green Chartreuse
Fresh mint sprig (garnish)

In a moment of insanity... I mixed it.

artofchoke-resize.jpg

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Goslings Black Seal anyone?

Hi all,

This is my first post :)

I really love a good dark rum. One day I thought I'd try something called Goslings Black Seal. The label says it's rum. It looks like rum. But judging by the taste, it can't possibly be rum. This stuff was so bad I couldn't swallow a drop of it; did a sprint to the sink like an Olympic runner on crack. It was so disgusting that I wouldn't have it in the house for fear it might come in contact with human food or living tissue.

Tony

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Atinkerer said:
Hi all,

This is my first post :)

I really love a good dark rum. One day I thought I'd try something called Goslings Black Seal. The label says it's rum. It looks like rum. But judging by the taste, it can't possibly be rum. This stuff was so bad I couldn't swallow a drop of it; did a sprint to the sink like an Olympic runner on crack. It was so disgusting that I wouldn't have it in the house for fear it might come in contact with human food or living tissue.

Tony

Hey Tony, welcome to the Lounge. I've not tried Gosling's Black Seal, from the bottle it does look rather thick, a bit like treacle. I think I might stick to my Wood's & Pusser's then.

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
cptjeff said:
And the question now is if it's any good.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm afraid I didn't like it much at all - the best thing about it for me was the smell of the mint garnish, and even that was being slowly overpowered by the other contents of the glass! Then again, I didn't like Cynar on its own, either; the mere memory of it makes me shudder.

It made for an interesting tasting session, actually: Ethan managed to find miniatures of both Unicum and Fernet Branca to try as well (inspired by this thread!). Both were horrid, although Fernet Branca, at its very best, tasted just like some medicine of my youth. Unicum tasted like what I used to fear medicine would taste like in my youth. Much worse. :)

All of this made Ethan propose that "Suze can't be that bad after all.". That was, until he decided to test the hypothesis...!

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
I like Camari this way, but to answer your question...

I like Campari, in Ina Garten's Camapri Orange Spritzer:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/campari-orange-spritzer-recipe/index.html

Frangelico is good in coffee, though I prefer Kahlua or Bailey's Irish Cream.

Back to the question...Peppermint Schnapps or Peach Schnapps, and I've accidentally bought really bad knock-off brands of amaretto and Irish Cream because the bottles looked nearly identical to and were next to the preferred brands.

Also, let's just say Poire William was not at all what I was expecting.

Mrs Bentley said:
I'm afraid I didn't like it much at all - the best thing about it for me was the smell of the mint garnish, and even that was being slowly overpowered by the other contents of the glass! Then again, I didn't like Cynar on its own, either; the mere memory of it makes me shudder.

It made for an interesting tasting session, actually: Ethan managed to find miniatures of both Unicum and Fernet Branca to try as well (inspired by this thread!). Both were horrid, although Fernet Branca, at its very best, tasted just like some medicine of my youth. Unicum tasted like what I used to fear medicine would taste like in my youth. Much worse. :)

All of this made Ethan propose that "Suze can't be that bad after all.". That was, until he decided to test the hypothesis...!

lol lol lol lol
O Geez! You tried Unicum?! I feel sorry for you. lol
Cynar in anything makes it taste and smell like feet. I suppose that is what the mint was for. ;) lol

Geesie

Practically Family
filfoster said:
My younger friends admit to occasionally drinking something they call Jaegermeister with small gold flecks in it. As if Jaegermeister needed anything else to make it worse. It may be a concoction that mixes two noxious spirits, one having the gold leaf in it, to amuse the bowels. Does anyone know more about this?

Goldschlager is a clear cinammon schnapps with gold flakes as a gimmick.
Jagermeister is a dark brown herbal liqueur.

I would not put young people past mixing anything together that tastes horrible to show how tough they are.

Geesie

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Glad to see there are some others here who like Campari. A little bitterness never hurt anyone, if you know what I mean.;)

I've used it like bitters, a few drops to add a hint of different flavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner