Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by rumblefish, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Definitely---since here is no such thing as a good vermouth. :p

2. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

Zzzzactly... I hate how I sound in a restaurant or bar when I ask what they put in their cocktails.

3. So you sound like Meg Ryan in that movie. As long as the drink is good. :p

4. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bless you Mr. Powers, I agree completely.

Happy and prosperous New Year Everybody

5. There must be people somewhere who like vermouth but they sure don't live anywhere near me. Maybe there is a market in third world countries. :p

Happy New Year!

6. BriarWolf

BriarWolf One of the Regulars

There's a particular pair of local antiseptics out of Baltimore, Rikaloff and Black Watch, both grain 'vodka'. They've acquired, among the circle, the affectionate nicknames of 'Kommissar Rikaloff' and 'The Sergeant Major', seeing as both will knock you on your arse and possibly kill you. They're a household chemical, used for cleaning or getting drunk as the need arises.

7. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

I was on a quest to find Vandermint for a Christmas present. I believe it's no longer made, but I did find it. It must have been old stock and since the bottle I had left was definitely old stock (and tasted like what I remember- blah) I assumed this "new" bottle would be okay.
    It doesn't mix well with anything, I don't like too sweet, I don't even like mint/chocolate ice cream: so, strike one, two and three.

8. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

I've had this broadside for a very long time... its he real deal. I picked up several when I was working with the North Carolina State Health Department back in the 70"s. I thought it might be appropriate in this thread.

P1030006 copy.jpg

scotrace likes this.
  9. greatestescaper

greatestescaper One of the Regulars

I once drank this Chinese poison that came in a white cylindrical bottle with a red cap. The bottle featured a red label with gold writing and looked more like a small bottle of propane than it did a bottle of liquor. That was by far the worst of anything I have had to drink. The friend that handed me the shot to take with him, one of the last that would kill the bottle he had been torturing himself with, told me that I would be taking a bullet for him. In fact he told me that I would probably rather have taken a real bullet than that horrid stuff. I am not sure I'd rather be shot than drink that stuff again, but hell's bells, that was rough. To this day I have no idea as to how my friend could have consumed as much of that vile liquid as he had.

10. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

For a really good laugh about cheap wines, check this out:

http://www.bumwine.com

Sample comment:

"If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you. Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird."

11. 1mach1

1mach1

The back label just about covers it :p[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MisterCairo and BobHufford like this.
  12. I can't even smell this stuff any longer. Bad memories...

1mach1 likes this.
  13. 1mach1

1mach1

You and me both :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BobHufford likes this.
  14. Mr. Nantus

Mr. Nantus New in Town

Boons' Farm, I used to say that it was made from fermented fiberglass, and I was in a great dive bar in Chicago that had most every kind of hard liquor, some of the best Scotches and jazz, but I digress, they had a bottle of Chinese whisky with a lizard in the bottom of the bottle !

15. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Canadian "sherry" of any brand...

16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Well, that certainly trumps that little worm thing in mezcal