Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Off White Lightweight Fur Fedora VS Classic Montecristi Fedora...Which is Cooler?

Drdan

Familiar Face
I've had numerous Montecristi Panamas over the years, and they are fantasttic summer hats. I'm just getting into felt hats, and a nice light colored felt fedora would be a very attractive hat for the summer. If I were to wear a lightweight 100% beaver "silver belly" felt fedora with ventillation holes of some sort (e.g. like Black Sheep Hat Works offers) on top of the crown, would the fedora be discernably hotter than the Panama? Would it help if the hat was ordered without a lining?

Thanks for your input!

rogerstg

A-List Customer
IME, felt is hotter than a panama, and lined felt is much hotter. Still, I wear a silverbelly fedora when temps are in the 70-80F range, (liner removed). IDK if pure beaver would be cooler. Maybe vent holes would help, though I've read that they make little difference.

Roger

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Felt hats are too hot for me in Summer. When the seasonal temps come into effect, I'll switch to the milans that I just recently started wearing. A milan is ventilated enough that I can remove it without fear of my hair looking matted down from sweat. I'm not sure if that's possible with the kind of hats that you currently wear but, for sure it's not possible with felt (unless, if you're in an arid, desert area, possibly).

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I wear my FED IV Deluxe in Moonstone in 85F weather + 50% humidity with the liner still in. I just man it up. A hat is always cooler than going hatless. Never owned a straw, but based on what everyone else is saying on The Lounge, straw is cooler.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think linerless, vented, lightweight beaver would be a great summer hat. Personally it feels just as got to me when I wear my Milan as it is when I wear felt. I have a beater Stetson Twenty I use for yard work in 100+ heat, full sunshine. I flip the wide brim down in the back and it gives great shade.

I find that wearing ANY proper hat in hot weather -- even a semi-colado straw -- requires me to remove said lid from time to time and mop up the sweat on my head with a handkerchief. But, as our friend APP Adrian observed, it's worse without a hat at all, especially for us folically challenged types.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I wear my hats to protect me from the sun exposure rather than heat. Some straw hats allow greater air flow and these are superior for the weather. However, I prefer the look of my felt hats so as stated above, I just endure the heat and mop up at times. What else are those cool bandannas for?

Fed

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I find that wearing ANY proper hat in hot weather -- even a semi-colado straw -- requires me to remove said lid from time to time and mop up the sweat on my head with a handkerchief. But, as our friend APP Adrian observed, it's worse without a hat at all, especially for us folically challenged types.

This.

I tend to sweat more on my forehead when wearing my felt, however I sweat less on my back and feel cooler overall.

When I'm in some shade, I take my hat off and wipe the sweat away.

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I wear my hats to protect me from the sun exposure rather than heat. Some straw hats allow greater air flow and these are superior for the weather. However, I prefer the look of my felt hats so as stated above, I just endure the heat and mop up at times. What else are those cool bandannas for?

Fed

I heard that straw hats don't provide much UVA/UVB protection than an Akubra.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I'll agree that any hat is better than none. I've worn my felt when that was all I had. That said, I stand behind what I said previously in this thread. A well-ventilated straw hat is always more comfortable in the hot, humid Summers where I live, in comparison to a felt of any kind.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
a lightweight 100% beaver "silver belly" felt fedora with ventillation holes of some sort on top of the crown

Dude, you do have a knack for making us shudder. :rolleyes:

Seems to me you're trying to put together the perfect hat, it ain't gonna happen bud. Firstly, perfection doesn't exist, which is why I think a good many of us are always on the lookout for that 'next' hat & secondly, what works for one person won't necessarily work for everyone.
Get yourself a felt hat but choose it using your own preferences, color, dimensions, style etc. & not uniquely on it's intended function based on other peoples opinions. If you find it too hot in warmer weather then you have the Montecristis to fall back on & save the felt for the cooler days.
Having worn hats with both ventilation holes & without, I can tell you that when the temps. reach the high 30's (° C) they make very little difference.;)

Drdan

Familiar Face
I am trying to come up with an ideal summer hat!

I very much like the aesthetics of a felt silver belly fedora. As I've never worn a lightweight felt hat in the summer, I'd like to make an informed decision on whether or not to acquire one. I like my Montecristis, and they're pretty comfortable, even during the hottest days in Rome. If I'm going to be sweating while wearing felt on these days I may just get one made and reserve it for the cooler summer days. ;)

Last edited:

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I am trying to come up with an ideal summer hat!

I very much like the aesthetics of a felt silver belly fedora. As I've never worn a lightweight felt hat in the summer, I'd like to make an informed decision on whether or not to acquire one. I like my Montecristis, and they're pretty comfortable, even during the hottest days in Rome. If I'm going to be sweating while wearing felt on these days I may just get one made and reserve it for the cooler summer days. ;)

Have you given thought to a crossbreed? Straw crown, felt brim. Several makers offer them. Just a thought.

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
When it gets hot, I wear Panama. Fortunately I live where it doesn't rain much in the summer so I don't worry too much about that. It did rain the other day and I switched to a light weight felt. Rain can really mess up a Panama. As Tony B said supra for those of us follically challenged any hat is cooler than no hat. Just use that handkerchief to wipe your forehead and the sweat band.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
When it gets hot, I wear Panama. Fortunately I live where it doesn't rain much in the summer so I don't worry too much about that. It did rain the other day and I switched to a light weight felt. Rain can really mess up a Panama. As Tony B said supra for those of us follically challenged any hat is cooler than no hat. Just use that handkerchief to wipe your forehead and the sweat band.

+1

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Indiana Jones wears a felt fedora and a leather jacket in the desert and in the jungle. Just man it up and wear a felt =).

P.S

As of now I've only watched Raiders and Temple of Doom.

Drdan

Familiar Face
The crossbreed wouldn't work for me here in Italy. I've decided to get a classic shape silver belly fedora; it's such an elegant hat that I can't pass it up. It might even be a better looking hat than a high wpsi straw... In any event, my Montecristis can take over when it gets too hot for the felt. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24