Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Fashioned Men

hargist

One of the Regulars
Lately I've been trying to engage people more. I mean people I don't know. Strangers on the street, or people who are waiting in line with me. It's surprising how a friendly comment can cause people to light up.

I think people tend to keep to themselves a little too much sometimes, to the point where one can feel lonely in a crowd. However, I'm finding it need not be that way, simply by engaging people a little. The results have been overwhelmingly positive. People crave connection.

Rufus

Practically Family
Absolutely Mr H!

It's wonderful greeting people in the street, particularily when someone returns a smile, or greeting! (Sadly in London...this is very hit and miss)

I love striking up conversations...particularily with older people...They are invariably more interesting, and funnier.

:)

Old person botherer...

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I live right on the coast in an urban area, and certainly there are rude people, but I also see a lot of casual daily courtesy in men and women alike. Holding doors open for the person behind you, offering people seats on the bus if they are elderly or handicapped or just have too many bags of groceries, saying good morning when you're out for a walk. (Okay, saying "heyhowyadoin?" but it MEANS good morning ;) )

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's much more pleasant to go through life being courteous. But you know where I fall down badly? Introductions. If I am with two people I know and who don't know each other, the right thing to do is to introduce them! But I FREEZE every time. It's plain fear that I will get one of the names wrong, no matter how well I know them. Stupid. But I can't seem to get shed of it. And I come off as a rude idiot.

Viola said:
I live right on the coast in an urban area, and certainly there are rude people, but I also see a lot of casual daily courtesy in men and women alike. Holding doors open for the person behind you, offering people seats on the bus if they are elderly or handicapped or just have too many bags of groceries, saying good morning when you're out for a walk. (Okay, saying "heyhowyadoin?" but it MEANS good morning ;) )

I agree. The same situation exists here. You have your classless, rude, dolt hippies here too. Their existence around the world is not likely to be denied. ;)
I just ignore the rude and notice the behavior that needs encouragement. Like the song says---Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. :D

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
It's much more pleasant to go through life being courteous. But you know where I fall down badly? Introductions. If I am with two people I know and who don't know each other, the right thing to do is to introduce them! But I FREEZE every time. It's plain fear that I will get one of the names wrong, no matter how well I know them. Stupid. But I can't seem to get shed of it. And I come off as a rude idiot.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person to do this! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I just ignore the rude and notice the behavior that needs encouragement. Like the song says---Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. :D

Exactly. After all, who is the bigger fool: the fool, or one who would argue with him?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Well, there are old fashioned men and "old fashioned men" .The good old fashioned man is a wonderful being! Lets hope he can survive in todays cut-throat society and manage to become a role model for future generations [huh]

As for being guilty of taken advantage of that, no, I'm not like that. :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
You've got to apologise 50 times a day, too. Where Americans would say "excuse me" (let's say in a corridor), brits say "I'm sorry". Gets a bit tiring.

bk

Mr Stephens (A Brit) has accused me (A Kiwi) of being blunt when I say 'Excuse me!' or say what I think about something rather than 'Oh, I'm terribly sorry to bother you but...'

Considering how rude and self absorbed in general I find people living in London, THAT'S a joke!

Foofoogal said:
I would much more like to discuss Old Fashioned Men. ;)
Married 32 years today to one. Yeah us!!

The thing about old fashioned men, at least the ones in my family, was that they didn't mind at all living with a woman who was more than capable to do things on their own and think for themselves. My father would have been driven nuts if my mother couldn't do basic things around the house or had to ask him how to do every little thing.
Old Fashioned men married old fashioned women because they were more than capable of taking care of the house, finances and even running a side business while also raising a family to boot. The women in those days knew multitasking before we had invented the term. They just called it taking care of things.
A toast to all the Old Fashioned women who, along with their Old Fashioned Men, held the family together and during the war years the country. :cheers1: :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I'm old fashoned. Sorry, I was raised that way and I'm not likely to change. I hold doors open for women, even if they give me a funny look. When a woman is with me at a social event, I pay. I will hold the door and make sure a woman is seated in the car before closing it. In crowded waiting rooms, I offer my seat to a lady rather than have her stand. Those things are just a habit with me...

I am enlightened a bit, however, when I am with a female co-worker at a business function I have no problem with her picking up the check. And when I go to lunch with a female co-worker, we pay for our own. It's only when I have invited a lady to dine that I feel compelled to dispense dead presidents.

I like women and I like to treat women well. If that's old fashoned....Guilty as charged

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
scotrace said:

I had to relate this story as it kind of goes along with Scotrace's post, just so you know that at least there will be one well-mannered young man in the future: my son is 7, and yesterday at his counseling appointment, we had to bring my stepdaughter along. Well, he stood right up when Sarah (his counselor) walked into the room, and introduced Mandy (SD) to his counselor like this: "Mandy, this is Sarah, my counselor, and Sarah, this is Mandy, my kind of sister". His Dad and I were shocked-we are polite people and push good manners, but he really blows me away sometimes. He did this all my himself without me telling him to. So, I can vouch for my son and say that not all young people will be rude in the future. And for all the things I feel I am messing up as a parent, manners are something that has apparently stuck! :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
The thing about old fashioned men, at least the ones in my family, was that they didn't mind at all living with a woman who was more than capable to do things on their own and think for themselves. My father would have been driven nuts if my mother couldn't do basic things around the house or had to ask him how to do every little thing.
Old Fashioned men married old fashioned women because they were more than capable of taking care of the house, finances and even running a side business while also raising a family to boot. The women in those days knew multitasking before we had invented the term. They just called it taking care of things.
A toast to all the Old Fashioned women who, along with their Old Fashioned Men, held the family together and during the war years the country. :cheers1: :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

:eusa_clap Cheers to that!

carter

I'll Lock Up
I posted this on another thread but it may belong here.

Columnists Say Chivalry is Not Dead, It Just Needs a Resurrection (10 Quick Rules for Men)

An entire generation of men may have lost the art of chivalry. But, what do women expect in 2007? Advice Columnists Pearls of Wisdom from Three Generations offer 10 easy rules for men to follow and women to use in helping their men become more of a gentleman.

(PRWEB) August 5, 2007 -- An entire generation of men may have lost the art of chivalry. But, what do women expect in 2007? Advice Columnists Pearls of Wisdom from Three Generations offer 10 easy rules for men to follow and women to use in helping their men become more of a gentleman.

Here are some of the Pearls Chivalry Commandments to help get started:

1. When passing through a door, the gentleman holds it open for the lady, even though he never saw her before. He never passes through the door first.
2. A gentleman removes his hat (yes, including baseball caps) when entering a room where there are ladies.
3. Gentlemen should open a car door for a lady and wait to close it after she gets in.
4. When sitting down to a meal, the gentleman should always leave his cell phone or other electronic device hidden away and turned off. (This one applies for ladies too)
5. A gentleman rises when a lady enters or leaves the room.
6. When walking down the street, a gentleman walks nearest the curb.
7. Gentleman will offer his hand when a lady is descending from a step, van, car, high doorway, etc.
8. A gentleman will offer to assist in lifting items, carrying bags and moving boxes.
9. Gentlemen never walk in front of a lady -- always beside them.
10. A gentleman holds out a folded arm for a lady when walking down stairs, on the street, etc. If she declines his arm, that is up to her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy