Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Fashioned Men

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Rufus said:
Still.. I'll keep opening doors, standing for others, and saying Good Morning to others. Keeps me busy.

:) rufus

I can't think of a more pleasant way to pass the time. "Sitting at home bored? Go out and be courteous to strangers. It'll brighten everyone's day." :)

Miss Neecerie said:
I still -try- to be somewhere in the middle of things...I no longer say have a nice day -ever-.....but I do try and thank people and say please. It probably scares folks here though.

I say both, if there's time, and always to a customer I've just helped.

hargist said:
Lately I've been trying to engage people more. I mean people I don't know. Strangers on the street, or people who are waiting in line with me. It's surprising how a friendly comment can cause people to light up

I've been trying to do more of this, too. Especially on days when I least feel like talking to anyone. Helps to lighten my day, as well. :)

Rufus said:
I love striking up conversations...particularily with older people...They are invariably more interesting, and funnier.

Heehee! Reminds me of when I delivered beauty supplies: I'd get into a shop and one of the elderly ladies with foil in her hair would ask me, "How did you get your hair that way?" (Reddish/brown and wavy) and I'd answer, "It's none of my business what my parents did in their private time." The older the lady, the harder she laughed.

RedHotRidinHood said:
So, I can vouch for my son and say that not all young people will be rude in the future. And for all the things I feel I am messing up as a parent, manners are something that has apparently stuck! :)

And the manners you're teaching him will take him far further than any mess-up will hold him back.Your boy will be just fine as an adult.

Lee

"There may be said to be two classes of people in the world; those who constantly divide the people of the world into two classes, and those who do not." - Robert Benchley

$ally

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
Reminds me of when I delivered beauty supplies: I'd get into a shop and one of the elderly ladies with foil in her hair would ask me, "How did you get your hair that way?" (Reddish/brown and wavy) and I'd answer, "It's none of my business what my parents did in their private time." The older the lady, the harder she laughed.
Please, please post a picture showing your handsome hair in an appropriate thread.

carter

I'll Lock Up
:)
Originally Posted by hargist
Lately I've been trying to engage people more. I mean people I don't know. Strangers on the street, or people who are waiting in line with me. It's surprising how a friendly comment can cause people to light up.

I find that most people are very pleasant when someone takes the first step as noted by hargist. We lead such insulated lives (i.e. the internet, email, etc.) that without this we lose our sense of community. It's nice to hear that there are people who make an effort to interact with people they don't necessarily know. Sometimes it's as simple as saying, "thank you" or "have a great day" at the teller window, fast food window, toll plaza, or the grocery store. Not only is it easy, it's probably healthy.

Carter

panamag8or

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Addendum to #9: a gentleman may go in front of a lady to push a revolving door. Those doors can be heavy.

I was tought that, as well.

MrNewportCustom said:
Heehee! Reminds me of when I delivered beauty supplies: I'd get into a shop and one of the elderly ladies with foil in her hair would ask me, "How did you get your hair that way?" (Reddish/brown and wavy) and I'd answer, "It's none of my business what my parents did in their private time." The older the lady, the harder she laughed.

If I had hair, I would so steal that line from you! lol

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
3. Gentlemen should open a car door for a lady and wait to close it after she gets in.
Haha, an old [non-gentleman] boyfriend of mine had a broken car door and was forced to do this for me every time. I loved that.

4. When sitting down to a meal, the gentleman should always leave his cell phone or other electronic device hidden away and turned off. (This one applies for ladies too)
Ooh, I really agree with this one. I hate when ANYONE either answers their phone or starts texting in the middle of your conversation. It shows the person you're with where you're priorities are.

9. Gentlemen never walk in front of a lady -- always beside them.
Yes!! I recall "chasing" at least two dates this year. (?!)

10. A gentleman holds out a folded arm for a lady when walking down stairs, on the street, etc. If she declines his arm, that is up to her.
Yes yes, the arm is good. I've never had a man do that for me, but I tend to reach for the arm compulsively. It sort of works if he has a hand in his pocket...not so much when he just keeps it hanging at his side. *sigh*

I find it to be so appalling, the way some women respond to gestures of kindness. Please don't give up on being a gentleman because of them!

I recently went out with an interesting, nice, intelligent, attractive guy. The date itself was okay, but the fact that he let the door slam in my face every time was a deal-breaker. I'm just not willing to accept anything less than a true gentleman anymore.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
How should a gentleman open a door for a lady when the door opens away from them rather than toward them? It always seems awkward when he has to push the door open and stand halfway through in order to hold it open so the lady can step through first. Is there a better way?

--Leslie

panamag8or

Practically Family
RaasAlHayya said:
How should a gentleman open a door for a lady when the door opens away from them rather than toward them? It always seems awkward when he has to push the door open and stand halfway through in order to hold it open so the lady can step through first. Is there a better way?

--Leslie

In that situation, I open the door, stand inside, holding it open, then let the lady pass through before letting the door close behind us.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
panamag8or said:
In that situation, I open the door, stand inside, holding it open, then let the lady pass through before letting the door close behind us.

You must have longer arms than the average gator. :p

Any recommendations for gentlemen with shorter/weaker arms and/or dealing with a particularly stubborn door? I find that many doors around here have deadly hydraulic door-closing gizmos. On the other hand, I am a dainty-armed lady and don't have to worry about such things when there are gentlemen about. On the other other hand, I don't want them to give up their nice manners out of frustration and embarrassment.

--Leslie

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
panamag8or said:
If I had hair, I would so steal that line from you! lol

lol I stole that line from a ladyfriend. Her hair was waist-length and bleach blonde with tight waves. All natural. I was taking pictures of her when another model I'd worked with came into the studio and asked her about her hair. That was her answer.

Lee

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
gluegungeisha said:
I hate when ANYONE either answers their phone or starts texting in the middle of your conversation. It shows the person you're with where you're priorities are.

More importantly, dear, when they initiate the call or text messaging, it shows how low they place you in their priorities. Were I a lady and my date started that, I'd walk out.

That is just one of many reasons I don't own a cell phone.

Lee

carter

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of the telephone:

Does it bother anyone else when they answer the telephone and the caller fails to identify themself before launching into whatever or they called for?

This is absolutely my biggest pet peeve. :rage:

MrNewportCustom said:
More importantly, dear, when they initiate the call or text messaging, it shows how low they place you in their priorities. Were I a lady and my date started that, I'd walk out.

It could also be argued for exemptions: were I dating, the only two exceptions I'd have to a no-answer rule would be family, or one of my personal-defense students with an emergency.

carter said:
Does it bother anyone else when they answer the telephone and the caller fails to identify themself before launching into whatever or they called for?
Nice thing about only having a cellular, cuts way down on the telemarketer crud. Although I have had to give a few lessons in phone-etiquette...lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At Chase where I make deposits for work they do not ever say thank you. Ever. "You're all set". Or have an excellent day. No, I want to be thanked. Across the street at HSBC my bank, everyone even the lady who was pistol whipped by a thug says thank you to everyone, and please when the situation calls for it.
Now, when I say please or thank you or even hi at the Burger King up the street from my house I get a HUH? and never one in return but that's the least of the rudeness and lazy work ethics that are prevalent at that particular location.
I say please and thank you to everyone I wait on at the library.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
It could also be argued for exemptions: were I dating, the only two exceptions I'd have to a no-answer rule would be family, or one of my personal-defense students with an emergency.

To answer in an emergency, yes. But if the person initiates the call or text message during a date, that's inexcusable (unless making futher plans for the evening.)

Lee

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
To answer in an emergency, yes. But if the person initiates the call or text message during a date, that's inexcusable (unless making futher plans for the evening.)

Lee

I would extend that to 'further plans involving the other party present'...some folks take any loophole given.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Okay, what about two sets of doors about 5' apart, same scenario?

I've run into this scenario. The lady thanked me for holding the door for her, walked through, and then smiled while holding the second door for me. I thanked her, too. :)

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner