Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Derek WC

Banned
Well, my name's Derek, and I don't know how old fashioned it is, but I know of a couple of Swedish names I could have undertaken.

Oleg
Gustaf
Karl
Frans

I like the sound of Gustaf Karlsson... except it's Derek Carlson.

jwalls

Vendor
My daughters ( Evelyn, Frances, and Lillian) complained about the "old lady" names we gave them when they were teens, but as adults they enjoy having "grown up" names.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Haha I dug up this ancient thread. It looks like I've even posted in it before... three or so years ago.

We hope to be parents within a year or so, and we're trying to work out the name thing. We come from very different cultural backgrounds, and middle names are still being thrown around but at the moment it looks like we've got the first names pinned down as:

Liam or Ivy for a boy and girl respectively. Ivy has a rather distinctly vintage appeal to me (just like Iris and Irene) but I do wonder when Liam started being used as a standalone first name, instead of just a nickname for William?

harty

New in Town
We had a few names picked out for our kids and waited until we saw them to choose. My son is Matthew and Daughter is Sydney. The first name being up in the air we didn't really think about middle names until crunch time. We ended up with Gus (just plain Gus--we couldn't decide what it would be short for, and that is actually why it didn't become his first name) and Grace. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line my son decides to go by Gus. At three he already listens better if I call him Gus--even better than the famous parent Firstname Middlename! exclamation.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Heh I can't do the wait and see the baby thing. I need that stuff worked out ahead (worrier, me?) and my husband is the same way. He actually has had Liam as his all-time favourite boy name since well before we even got together as boyfriend and girlfriend. He'll only debate the middle name or the names of a second son lol.

I did NOT let him have his girls' name of choice. Because I'm mean like that.

We both like old fashioned names but our styles were initially quite distinct - he's Irish and loves Gaelic names (not Mary/Kathleen type Irish names but more like Siobhan/Niamh names) and I like Hebrew and Biblical names. Now he admits Isaac and Malachi are all right and I'm willing to talk about Aoife and Saoirse, but we both still scare each other sometimes. :D

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
I'm expecting...

I did a search but I didn't find any-thing already, hopefully I'm not going over old ground

I just found out that I'm expecting, we're over the moon. I was wondering if any-one could suggest any names boys/girls that are vintage/traditional/classic/quintessentially english/possibly even eccentric (but good eccentric) names? We already have a beautiful little boy called Henry, so I figured something that compliments this?

I adore these sort of names for girls -
Luna (not very vintage perhaps)
Evelyn,
Martha (then Matty for short)
Araminta (I know this perhaps may be a bit too much but I like Minnie for short)
Maggie (I am very tempted to add on a middle name of mayhem?!)
Betty
Billie (as in Holiday although I know not every-one would interpret like this)
Daisy (Dot)
Beatrice
Audrey
Sylvia (My late mothers name)

and for boys
Waldo (adore this)
Arther
Jago (adore this one too - not sure how people would take it though - pronouced Jay-goh or Yay-goh)
Max (Where the wild things are is one of our fave books)
Rupert

Any input would be fab please

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Congrats! Hope everything goes perfectly. :eusa_clap I named our three. That's my limit. Magician Penn Jillette named his daughter Moxie Crimefighter Jillette. Not likely to hear more than one on the playground.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Congrats! My boy is Silas, and my girl is Chloe.
Here are some other first names in my ancestors:
Herbert
Addie Lee
Cleo
Carol (for a boy)
Zelma
Lestlie (boy)
Riley
Evelyn
Evea
Romilda
Lucy