Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Hat needs New Life

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Picture it; New Jersey, 1992...

As a young man in college, I bought a few wool Lite Felt hats, I can't even remember where I found them anymore. They weren't bad for the money, and they're still in good shape even though I didn't know how to take care of a hat back then.

Anyway, one of those hats became a favorite companion - a dark olive pinch-front aussie. It's still wears nice, but the dents of the front pinch are faded from handling, and the brim has some discolorations from that no-salt ice melt stuff dripping off my deck! (never bought that stuff again). :cry: Can the color be restored without endangering the my "old trusty", or would I be better off just enjoying it while it lasts.

I'm just now graduating to fur felts (and hopefully vintage), but I'd like to lengthen the older one's life, so any advice would be appreciated.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I wouldn't bother with a wool hat . They are great for just knocking around in but they can' be blocked or ironed well. Unfortunately , many of todays hats are made from wool (Bollman's lite felt) and are sold because of the price . Todays genration of hat buyers need to understand the differance between wool and rabbit fur felt .

Michael D

Familiar Face
Novelty hats

Over 20 years ago when I first became aware of fur felt hats a salesman at a hat store told me that wool felt hats are "novelty" hats. They aren't designed for a long life. I've thought of them that way ever since.

Mike

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Best to probably just baby Old Trusty and semi-retire the hat. You might want to search for a fur felt look-alike if the hat fit your face and head well and you were fond of the color and style.

Then, you will have Trusty II and that one will last you all your life.

karol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, you're probably right. I found a couple of Akubras that match the "vitals" and everyone seems to agree that Akubras are top notch when it comes to non-vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo