Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On AGING- for the gents

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Adapting this slighty for the men of FL here from a PR post. Men age too- It ain't unique to us ladies!

One lady's advice (purely subjective and biased of course) to the men of FL:

HOW TO AGE WELL...

Find a really good vintage look for yourself where you are now in life and at the age you are right now- even if its a vintage decade you hadn't considered before.

Learn a song you really love and sing it loudly with joy.

Dance in the rain with someone that really matters to you; a child, a spouse or sweetheart, your Mom, or a good friend.

Don't "air hug" or "air kiss" anyone- show passion and authenticity.

Play in the sunshine and walk barefoot in the sand- again.

Lose ten pounds if you need to or put on ten pounds if you need to, if healing from stress that way is something that you need to do.

Buy a great hat, even if may look crazy to others and wear it proudly.

Be a REAL friend to someone; that their life is now better for knowing you and your being in their life.

Post some (new) pics of yourself in the "what are you wearing today?" thread -in vintage or not.

Drink more water, eat really excellent dark chocolate.

Learn to play the piano, or the harmonica.

Recognize that life isn't always going a bed of roses- but even when its not, do seek out those roses to smell just the same.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
" I was in a Shop in Glamorous Bay View terrace, and the shop assistant, asked how i was, and "Haven't seen you for ages" I smiled thinking she was just being friendly,she said " I use to work at coles, you used to come in all the time" I was rather taken aback as, yes indeed I used to work in the area TEN YEARS AGO, I explained that to her and she said ". Yes, you had longer hair, (Oscar Wilde Bob) but You Have got one of those faces" I ended the conversation there!l??????!!!

image020.jpg

r206862_789046.jpg

"People who have not seen me for years always say "Binkie you don't seem to age, you just look different" its the Retin A Cream , start now!!!!!!!!!!!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:
" I was in a Shop in Glamorous Bay View terrace, and the shop assistant, asked how i was, and "Haven't seen you for ages" I smiled thinking she was just being friendly,she said " I use to work at coles, you used to come in all the time" I was rather taken aback as, yes indeed I used to work in the area TEN YEARS AGO, I explained that to her and she said ". Yes, you had longer hair, (Oscar Wilde Bob) but You Have got one of those faces" I ended the conversation there!l??????!!!

image020.jpg

r206862_789046.jpg

"People who have not seen me for years always say "Binkie you don't seem to age, you just look different" its the Retin A Cream , start now!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you should bring that up. I just started using rogain last month. I will be damned if i don't hae a bunch of tiny hairs growing along my receding hair line. Wish I started years ago. We will see what comes of it. they are now marketing to young guys. A brilliant move.

astrang1

New in Town
Hello,
Thank you for the advice. The older I get the more the 1930s/40s look appeals. As the poster says 'Give up gracefully the passing of youth'
Best Wishes,
Al

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A good quote here. I think there might be some gals that would change it to be along the lines of only being will to "give it up (youth) going kicking and screaming..."

I find as I get older (I'm 51 now), that I am a much more interesting person to myself certainly, and to others than when I was younger. As I've had more life experiences- good and not so good, those have made me into who I am at this age. Every wrinkle and line I have, I've earned- through laughter and tears, joy and sorrow.

astrang1 said:
Hello,
Thank you for the advice. The older I get the more the 1930s/40s look appeals. As the poster says 'Give up gracefully the passing of youth'
Best Wishes,
Al

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm a firm believer in my "Lotions and Potions" as I call them- they work. Taking care of one's self in a physical sense (skin care and caring about one's looks, ie. making the most of what you've been given, exercising to stay healthy, eating sensibly, etc.) is not selfish or vain, its smart. Just wish I'd come to that realization sooner!

Not just for women anymore, I wish more men would "get it" about skin care.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
BB, I think its YOU she remembers, not just a face then;).

BinkieBaumont said:
Yes, you had longer hair but You Have got one of those faces" ??????!!! "People who have not seen me for years always say "Binkie you don't seem to age, you just look different" its the Retin A Cream , start now!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad's one of those people who ages well. You look at pictures from my parents wedding (87) and as I look at him now, except for a fumanchu, instead of a Burt Reynolds, he has't changed much. But he beleives in lotions and potions, and fake bakes, and hair color and all that jazz.

I plan on just trying to go gracefully, I probably won't color my hair (unless I'm married to a woman who wants me to), I'm rather partial to gray hair myself. I just am not going to 'let myself go' like you see so much these days, try to keep somewhat in shape, take care of my skin, teeth, etc. and stay well-dressed. I think it's a shame to see older folks now who are from an era of snappy clothes, now wearing old t-shirts, not combing their hair, wearing sweatpants and velcro shoes. It's such a downturn.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
"I'm not going to age gracefully. I'm going to have face lifts until my ears meet." - Rita Rudner.

Me? . . . I'll be blessed with a genetically full head of hair well into my seventies. So other than losing some weight, I'm not concerned about how I age. As a friend once said about his old car, "The dents add character."

Lee

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Adapting this slighty for the men of FL here from a PR post. Men age too- It ain't unique to us ladies!

One lady's advice (purely subjective and biased of course) to the men of FL:

HOW TO AGE WELL...

Find a really good vintage look for yourself where you are now in life and at the age you are right now- even if its a vintage decade you hadn't considered before.

Learn a song you really love and sing it loudly with joy.

Dance in the rain with someone that really matters to you; a child, a spouse or sweetheart, your Mom, or a good friend.

Don't "air hug" or "air kiss" anyone- show passion and authenticity.

Play in the sunshine and walk barefoot in the sand- again.

Lose ten pounds if you need to or put on ten pounds if you need to, if healing from stress that way is something that you need to do.

Buy a great hat, even if may look crazy to others and wear it proudly.

Be a REAL friend to someone; that their life is now better for knowing you and your being in their life.

Post some (new) pics of yourself in the "what are you wearing today?" thread -in vintage or not.

Drink more water, eat really excellent dark chocolate.

Learn to play the piano, or the harmonica.

Recognize that life isn't always going a bed of roses- but even when its not, do seek out those roses to smell just the same.
:eusa_clap

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
newspapercowboy said:
I get old
I get gray
I get fat.
I get wrinkled.
I get bald.
I'm a man.
I don't care.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol lol lol

- or as Jack Nicholson said:
"With my sunglasses I am Jack Nicholson. Without them I am just a 70 years old, fat man!"

High Pockets

Practically Family
Considering the life I've lived,......the things I've done that I was told not to do,........and the things I refused to do after being told they would be in my best interest; I figure I'm damned lucky to look as old and worn-out as I do.
Could be worse.:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I was just told by a 24 year old student of mine, that "my father is you age, he just looks old - you look like you've been living a great life"
So - I see nothing wrong in getting old(er).:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21