Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On giving your opinions of photographs showing fellow Loungers wearing their new hats

Edward

Bartender
When people use their cell phones to take their own pictures they are actually getting a distorted image because of the wide angle lens at arm's length. It throws off the actual proportions and isn't truly representative of what someone actually looking at you would see. Take that into account.

True... mirror shots aren't ideal either. Unfortunately though those are the only option for some of us. I'm still working on teaching the cats to take my photo.... ;)

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but I rarely see it. I personally would love to see more! When I post a photograph of myself wearing a newly-acquired hat, it's not because I'm fishing for compliments (and I think I can speak for most people when I say that... I think!). I'm looking for criticism. If it looks disproportionate, odd, unfit, inappropriate, or just plain bad, I sincerely want to be told that. Just because a hat is exceptionally handsome doesn't automatically mean that it makes the person wearing it handsome. "Beautiful hat!" and "That hat looks great on you!" mean two completely different things. And if the hat looks great? By all means, rain down the praise! Haha. Let's not be shy; we all know we love it. But only if it's true. If it's not, it's misleading and breeds further purchases for hats that we probably shouldn't be attempting to pull off.
I definitely agree with this. If I were to post a photo of myself wearing a newly acquired hat or cap, I would hope the other members here would have the integrity to offer their honest opinions rather than false compliments. There is a difference between saying, "That's ugly," and saying, "I don't think that hat is right for you, and here's why..." I have no problem with people disagreeing with my tastes as long as they can articulate why they disagree; hopefully I'll learn something in the process.

On the other hand, I have to say I've seen very few photos on The Fedora Lounge that I felt weren't complimentary. For the most part I believe the members here have a good sense of which hats or caps work for them and which don't (or any other attire item, for that matter), and those who are sincerely unsure about a new item make no bones about asking for honest opinions.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. Some people can be outright rotten, but the best advice I got, clothing wise was when I first joined the lounge. I had an old, cheapo fedora my dad had given me years ago and I thought of bringing it back from the dead. I got told not to and why the hat wasn't right for me. It was solid advice and I don't remember who gave it to me, but I thank them. I didn't know anything about fedoras then, besides that I liked them. Now I'm learning a wee little bit thanks to the lounge.

fmw

One Too Many
You guys are in the minority. When I have criticized hats here, I've had a backlash. I've pretty much stopped commenting on people's new hats.

DRB

One Too Many
While in college I was Psych major. They taught me to only offer an opinion if it is asked for consciously or sub-consciously. They taught me well, I think that is why I am so crazy.:eeek:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Ok, actually bought it a few months ago, but...

Let me know, gents. Does the crown appear to be a bit low for my particular facial make-up. It's a Golden Gate (the hat, that is...).

Photo92.jpg
Photo93.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
This is a test right? The crown height is great as is the brim but the hat needs go be a larger size.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Now, I think both the crown and brim should be larger to match the face. I do have to say that as it is, it's not terrible.

Cliff

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
This is a test right? The crown height is great as is the brim but the hat needs go be a larger size.

Now, I think both the crown and brim should be larger to match the face. I do have to say that as it is, it's not terrible.

Cliff

Thanks for the comments, gents. As far as the size is concerned, if I go up one size, the lid will sit on my head like a hub cap. Looking again at the photos, it seems that the crown is sufficiently high, but that the brim should be a tad wider...

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments, gents. As far as the size is concerned, if I go up one size, the lid will sit on my head like a hub cap. Looking again at the photos, it seems that the crown is sufficiently high, but that the brim should be a tad wider...

You may have a unique size. I had all kinds of problems like that until I found out what my size was ... I happened to be in between two sizes and a LO.

You guys are in the minority. When I have criticized hats here, I've had a backlash. I've pretty much stopped commenting on people's new hats.
That's a pretty sad comment. Perhaps I've overestimated the willingness of the members to have a civil discourse despite opposing opinions?

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

Honestly, the hat looks fine. I'd be happy wearing it myself. But truly, personal taste makes a huge difference in hat preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points