Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On giving your opinions of photographs showing fellow Loungers wearing their new hats

Michaelshane

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Not me, I bruise easy...:eek:
I guess I'm one the few fishing for a compliment. :p :D
If you don't have something nice to say sugarcoat it. ;)

And remember,,, some of you put your location on that map thingy...:whistling

So I ask,,, how do you like my hat? *yucky*

That's why I'll never be on the map.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Sargon said:
This is what I would hope for in posting pix here. I don't usually post pix of myself as I usually only have the opportunity to take them right after I wake up and I generally look like hell first thing in the morning.
Being rather new to wearing hats I'm still searching for my style. Having said that I feel unqualified to give opinions on it. With more experience I'm sure I will learn what looks good and what doesn't on others as well. At this stage some look like costume while others look like the persons photo wouldn't be complete without a hat. They may have been born with it on. All of this is kind of a gut feeling at this point as I have lived most of my life with a retarded sense of style.
Looking at Millers "deciding what style of hat to wear" http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html does me little good as for some reason I cannot decide which kind of face I own. I do sometimes feel a little silly with larger brim hats however. With this new season of glastnost at hand can somebody tell me truthfully does this look silly?
DSCF1438.jpg
My honest opinion on the subject......No one looks silly in a hat he likes.You just need to get used to seeing yourself in the hat.Anytime you change the way you look you feel like you look stupid.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Ok, Ok, Ok, I lied.....

Ok, Ok,,Ok so maybe I lied a few times. :rolleyes:
So let me be Totally, Frankly and Earnestly honest with all of you :eek: :eek:

I think everyone of you look GREAT !!!!!!
(Except for that one guy with the funny hat, You know the one...;) ;)

Jabos

A-List Customer
Sargon, I think the hat looks good and looks good on you. I've been studying hats for a couple of months on here and have a lot to learn. But, even to me it looks fine. No doubt there are a ton of people on here with a much more well trained eye that can offer better advice. But my point is that with my very limited knowledge I am still more knowledgable and have a better eye at this point than 99 percent of the population (okay, maybe 98, or 97:) ). So, I will personally value the expert opinions on here and seek them out when I get a new hat, but I'm not going to stress about it in public when I still get the "ignorant" Indiana Jones comment from unknowing friends. It is a matter of perspective to me.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
My feeling is that many people simply do not know what kind of hats they should and shouldn't wear, and need some help figuring it out-viz. the tall, long-faced fella with the high-crowned wide-brimmed lid. Someone pointed out, hey, take the crown down a tad and you'll look a lot better! I think most of us are amenable to some advice or guidance, if it helps us look our best.

Some things are obvious to some of us- for instance, I bought a very nice stingy-brim not long ago; my first. As soon as I saw myself in the mirror I knew I could not wear such a hat- at six feet tall and 275 lbs, with that stingy-brim on my head I looked like Zippy The Pinhead. Likewise, I know I can't wear a three-button suitcoat.

But to others, such things are not readily apparent. So to help these folks, here is my modest proposal- there should be, here at The Lounge, a sub-forum (if that is the right term ) where people could go FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE of being critiqued- where those who know how to dress and what kinds of hat to wear could sincerely give those who don't, the benefit of their wisdom. Of course, those who advise would bear a large responsibility, and those seeking criticism would have to be ready for it.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Daoud said:
But to others, such things are not readily apparent. So to help these folks, here is my modest proposal- there should be, here at The Lounge, a sub-forum (if that is the right term ) where people could go FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE of being critiqued- where those who know how to dress and what kinds of hat to wear could sincerely give those who don't, the benefit of their wisdom. Of course, those who advise would bear a large responsibility, and those seeking criticism would have to be ready for it.

Not a bad idea, at all...could even be as simple as a thread in this forum. Kind of a "What hat are you wearing today?" thread with a Queer Eye twist to it...with or without the Queer ("not that there's anything wrong with it")...how many TV references can I work in?

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Michaelshane said:
not a good idea...I don't even let my wife tell me what kind of hat I should wear,much less someone I don't even know.

I should have stated that better...

Not a bad idea for those that wish to have that option...Personally, I'd have to agree with you. I'm going to wear what I want and what I think looks good. Don't care if you like taper or not, wide or stingy brims, brown, green black or pink...
One exception would be if I am paying for an expert's (read Art Fawcett or the like) opinion and commissioning a custom hat. Then I'm sending him photos of me in various attire, full body shots, communicating my likes/dislikes, etc and relying on his experience to build me the greatest hat ever

I like the idea of the critique thread = posters know they are going to get constructive criticism & I emphasize constructive! I think the tone here is always friendly & helpful & am fully confident that will be the tone of such a thread...JMHO

MattJH

One Too Many
Goose. said:
MattJH,
I think you look great in that hat. I'd lower the crown a bit though...but that's just how I like 'em. I am getting a lid with a taller crown to try out myself though.
But, that just being my own preference, I must say that you look good.

And, thanks for the millers' link about face shape...I didn't know I was a "deep full face"...I always thought it was called "fat head".

Seriously, I like your hat and appreciate the link.

I think you're referring to Sargon, not me. :)

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Michaelshane said:
not a good idea...I don't even let my wife tell me what kind of hat I should wear,much less someone I don't even know.

Well, see, this would be for folks who lack such self-confidence, or who just want a second opinion.....I have no doubt that you have excellent taste and fashion sense, etc., but MANY people do not- just go to your local mall, county courthouse or anywhere else where your fellow citizens are gathered- take a look around and what do you see- people who really, really need some......shall we say, compassionate guidance regarding their accoutrements?

As has been discussed elsewhere here at The Lounge, there isn't much of a social norm or dress code anymore. People show up for job interviews and court appearances wearing t-shirts and sideways ballcaps. Why? That's all they know.
Their parents are slobs, the majority of entertainers they see on T.V. are slobs. But I think many of these folks would dress better if they could- and who better to advise them than a dedicated Lounger- someone who buys nice clothing and accessories and knows how to wear them?

Young people especially want to be taken seriously, even respected- and once they find out that wearing a coat and tie, topped off with a nice lid, is a BIG step in that direction- who knows where that might go? Is it a coincidence that the heyday of American power and respect in the world was at a time when most men wore a coat and tie and hat? Hmmmmmm.

And lest this seem sexist, I am sure that there are many of the female persuasion who could use some similar advice, and surely there wouldn't be any shortage of ladies here who would be happy to help them.

Goose.

Practically Family
OK...since Matt has this thread, I thought it an opportunity.

I've always wanted a stingy...you either hate 'em, love 'em, or tolerate 'em...like a wife I guess.

Just never thought I could pull it off with what Miller's site calls a "Deep Full Face".
So, for your consideration and comments, I submit the following...

Does this stingy make my ass look fat?

http://mongoose.smugmug.com/photos/481319596_HSAwv-S-1.jpg

MattJH said:
I think you're referring to Sargon, not me. :)
Yes. Mea culpa.
Thanks for the correction :)
Sargon, you look fine in that lid...

Lefty said:
There's all of 1 thread on Alpine hats on the entire Lounge, and I love it. The hat that Belly Tank posted there is just fantastic. If you'd like to present more information on the hats, their manufacture, and their history, I'm sure that you'd find an audience here. However, I've noted from the few sites that I've seen selling modern Alpine hats, even they recognize that the style is not popular. I believe that 3 or 4 of the sites that you've posted sell Indy hats - that look nothing like Indy hats - to supplement their sales.

Sorry but you are wrong here. Traditional Alpine / Trachten / German hats are popular in Bavaria and Austria. There is some morphing of styles but that is what hats are all about IMHO. Yes German / Austrian hat makers also made vintage dress hats like the one Belly Tank posted in that thread.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:

My wife has a terrible eye for what looks good in hats. She thinks I look goofy in a black derby! :D

Woodfluter

Practically Family
OK guys (& gals), you can be brutally honest. Please. Is this the look for my next gig?

Seeking a Genghis Khan cross with Elmer Fudd sort of look.
The hat belongs to my wife, but she never checks this site...

Go ahead, I won't cry.

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21