Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On giving your opinions of photographs showing fellow Loungers wearing their new hats

Lefty said:
It's not a bias, it's just a difference in taste.

Ok that is fine but they shouldn't be excluded because of that. Some of these large crown /no taper hats are not all to my liking but I don't shoot them down.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Hoss & da Posse said:
If you don't care for western hats, you wouldn't think I looked good in them even if I were John Wayne. So any opinion offered from that perspective would exhibit a bias or difference in taste

Not true. Mayser is always bringing up this supposed bias. I generally do not care for alpine hats, but have seen some nice ones. The same holds true for westerns. I can see the value in both types of hats, and can appreciate a good one for what it is.

Lefty said:
Not true. Mayser is always bringing up this supposed bias. I generally do not care for alpine hats, but have seen some nice ones. The same holds true for westerns. I can see the value in both types of hats, and can appreciate a good one for what it is.

Sorry but when I see post claiming that Alpine style hats were never worn in a dress situation and are only costume I sense bias. Also when major hat companies are not listed or acknowledged.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
No one is excluding Alpine hats. What you're describing is a lack of knowledge, not a bias. Anyone who assumes that an Alpine can only be worn with Lederhosen must also believe that a western can only be worn with chaps.

There's all of 1 thread on Alpine hats on the entire Lounge, and I love it. The hat that Belly Tank posted there is just fantastic. If you'd like to present more information on the hats, their manufacture, and their history, I'm sure that you'd find an audience here. However, I've noted from the few sites that I've seen selling modern Alpine hats, even they recognize that the style is not popular. I believe that 3 or 4 of the sites that you've posted sell Indy hats - that look nothing like Indy hats - to supplement their sales.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Not me, I bruise easy...:eek:
I guess I'm one the few fishing for a compliment. :p :D
If you don't have something nice to say sugarcoat it. ;)

And remember,,, some of you put your location on that map thingy...:whistling

So I ask,,, how do you like my hat? *yucky*

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I'll keep it in mind

Mr. Paladin said:
I am amazed at how quickly this thread grew. I have read it over slowly, and I agree with Carter, Michaelshane, and Gene. I do not comment on a hat if I do not genuinely think it looks good on someone, as Carter said. Like Michaelshane, I post mine because I like every one of them and don't care if others don't because I'm the one wearing it and I like it on me. And lastly, as Gene says, I am very blunt in person and make my living being so. In turn, I am treated with at least the same bluntness, generally rudeness, and sometimes hostility. I enjoy the Lounge because I can come here for relaxation, fellowship with those who enjoy what I enjoy, and CIVILITY. The written word is a very difficult medium to master and from the posts here I see at least two of our members who appear to be confused regarding the genuineness of the compliments they have received, and several who express a desire for gentle criticism. Bluntness is good but the master of communication judges his audience and realizes that not each person responds the same. Much of this is regional; some areas of the country are what we judge in my area to be rude and abrasive by nature. Other areas may judge mine to be flowery and wrapped in a false politeness. Either way, Portolan hit it on the head...be gentle because we do not really know each other well. If a person asks for critique, give it, but kindly; with a gilted spoon rather than a spade.

Lastly, I will say this to anyone I have complimented or given a suggestion to if asked: I sincerely meant everything I have said and I think it would be a shame for Wil Tam to stop his projects or Metro to get a complex over graciousness offered to him. It is nice to have one small, civil bit of the world not overtaken by gruffness or rudeness disguised as constructive criticism. If I wanted to talk to jerks, I would just work overtime. Lets keep this forum friendly and civil.

I gleaned much knowledge while enjoying the virtual company on this site and acknowledge honest creative criticism from all. I'm learning and gathering great pointers from you all.

I especially like product recommendations like the Stitch awl, Lexol & Hat Shaper .. I have the first 2 and in the process researching a Hat Shaper for one that I can use on all my lids ... probably get the open crown model, I just need to figure out the correct size. I recently missed out on a 7 1/8 stainless steel open crown hat saver that was offered on the bay.

I also like the the photo tips that has been offered ... I will either get someone to take my mug shot with a lid on or break out my fancy hi-end camera & use a tripod & remote for the needed centered head to waist picture.

[credit goes to: you know who you are,thanks!]

----------------
Now playing: Silverchair - World Upon Your Shoulders
via FoxyTunes

Sargon

Familiar Face
Caity Lynn said:
lol, actually I have been told that a hat didn't look good on me by someone on the lounge, and then they went on to point out what type of hat I should wear.I was grateful for the suggestions.[huh]

This is what I would hope for in posting pix here. I don't usually post pix of myself as I usually only have the opportunity to take them right after I wake up and I generally look like hell first thing in the morning.
Being rather new to wearing hats I'm still searching for my style. Having said that I feel unqualified to give opinions on it. With more experience I'm sure I will learn what looks good and what doesn't on others as well. At this stage some look like costume while others look like the persons photo wouldn't be complete without a hat. They may have been born with it on. All of this is kind of a gut feeling at this point as I have lived most of my life with a retarded sense of style.
Looking at Millers "deciding what style of hat to wear" http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html does me little good as for some reason I cannot decide which kind of face I own. I do sometimes feel a little silly with larger brim hats however. With this new season of glastnost at hand can somebody tell me truthfully does this look silly?
DSCF1438.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
Sargon said:
can somebody tell me truthfully does this look silly?
DSCF1438.jpg

Hey there! It's really hard to tell because it's not a full body shot, and the general shape and height of a body can make a big difference to hat compatibility, not to mention the angle of the photograph. Here are the thoughts that immediately popped into my head when I saw the picture:

01) Wow, I really like that hat.
02) But it seems top-heavy on him because of the thinner, longer face (the goatee creates this effect) coupled with the high crown.

What is the crown height on that hat that I wish were mine? :) I think reducing it by even a quarter of an inch would make a drastic difference. Try different creasings that reduce crown heights by their nature, like a diamond. Based on that picture alone, I'd personally say that your body would have to be bigger to balance out the hat's proportions. Do you see the stovepipe-effect that I'm talking about, too? The brim looks good. I'd say you max out at that width, but it completely works. I'd say it reminds me of the picture I posted of myself earlier in this thread (the 4th of 4) in my high-crowned Adam Executive. Love the brim on it, but I'm a little skeptical of the crown's height.

Since this is a new approach, let me stress that this is what I think. What you think actually means more, because it's what you think that'll give you the swagger needed for you to wear the hat rather than the hat wear you.

I commend you for opening yourself up to opinions. Good for you, man. If it's possible to post a full-body shot with a straight-on angle, it may completely change my opinion on the crown.

I really like that hat.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Caity Lynn said:
^ I agree, it's a lovely hat, and you've a lovely face, but I think the hat should be a bit shorter.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/P2130160.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/P2220207.jpg

Well gents, what do you think?

I think hats make me look younger, which means I actually look my age :rolleyes:

IMHO if you had a ferret yer noggin it'll look great! :D

----------------
Now playing: Duke Ellington - March Of The Hoodlums
via FoxyTunes

Sargon

Familiar Face
Difficult to get a full body shot when I'm the cameraman. This disney wears a lot like my Akubra Federation and I couldn't agree more about the height.
Caity - a mens fedora cannot look wrong on a woman IMHO. Weren't fedoras originally womans hat to begin with? At least that's what Wikipedia tells us. The first word that comes to mind is jaunty. Seeing a woman in a fedora inflames the passions in the exact same way as seeing a woman in a mens button down dress shirt does. Hard to explain.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn I like the look of that hat on you and thats not me just being nice :) . I've always liked the cloth style hats on women who seem to be able to pull off that look better than men. Now the real reason for this post. What is that purple thing you're hanging on to in the second picture??? I can't quite figure out what it is, but you have piqued my interest.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
MCrider said:
What is that purple thing you're hanging on to in the second picture??? I can't quite figure out what it is, but you have piqued my interest.

It's an Audrey II, the plant that eats people from the musical Little Shop Of Horrors.

Goose.

Practically Family
MattJH,
I think you look great in that hat. I'd lower the crown a bit though...but that's just how I like 'em. I am getting a lid with a taller crown to try out myself though.
But, that just being my own preference, I must say that you look good.

And, thanks for the millers' link about face shape...I didn't know I was a "deep full face"...I always thought it was called "fat head".

Seriously, I like your hat and appreciate the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy