Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Day in History

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Here's a question. If you could go back in time for just one day in history, 1900-???, what day and/or month and year would you go to and where would you go and do? Keep in mind it's only for one day you're able to do this.

I'll tell you the first thing I'd do, I'd go to Los Angeles, September 1938, and do just one thing.....SHOPPING! :D

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now..this is grim

I would go to Hawaii on December 7, 1941. I would be on a hill away from the danger and watch the attack.

I assume you are suggesting that you are an observer, not a participant.

I would also watch June 6, 1944 in a safe place. D-Day.

Non, war related? I would watch Lindburg take off in the Spirit of ST. Louis.

Novella

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
I'll tell you the first thing I'd do, I'd go to Los Angeles, September 1938, and do just one thing.....SHOPPING! :D

That's brilliant!

I think I would go back to the 1910s or 1920s in a city and just hang around a movie theater watching silent films, and then maybe take a stroll around in the late afternoon to take in the atmosphere. I'm not sure which city or which exact year since I can't decide which silent film I'd like to see at it's original release.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd choose some random day in 1930-31 and take a load of recording equipment with me, set up shop in some New York hotel room, and record everything airing on every radio station in the city for that day. And while the tapes were rolling, I'd head over to Fort Lee, NJ and sweet talk my way into the film-storage warehouses there, and "requisition" all the prints I could get away with of important films that no longer exist today.

And then I'd try to figure out how to get all that stuff back here without having to answer a lot of questions!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want to go back to any day during which the great pyramid was being built and observe how it was being done and more importantly, how they were able to quarry the stones faster than they could be placed.
ph-14052.jpg

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I chose September because I'm guessing that's the month between Fall season and when all of the summer clothing is put on clearance. And with $100, I could get away with a lot. You couldn't bring back a car or some enormous object. Looking at it in a Back To The Future point of view, you don't want to mingle with history, it could change it's course. Being the observer rather than a participant would be a lot better. And about raiding the film libraries,
http://www.silentera.com/lost/index.html here's a list of presumed lost silent films. Take your pick!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'd drain my current lifesavings, and put it on a house, maybe on the West Coast. Real estate investment! Try telling someone back then that a teeny bungalow is worth $600,000+!

Section10

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I'd go back to one day when I was 5 years old and tell myself everything I know now. :D

That would be really tempting.
Would anyone go back to 1900 and find the 11 year old Hitler and kill him?
I ask this because I like to write and for a while I toyed with a story that would have consisted of the main character actually being given an opportunity to do that very thing. It never really materialized, but I always thought it would make for a compelling tale.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Section10 said:
I ask this because I like to write and for a while I toyed with a story that would have consisted of the main character actually being given an opportunity to do that very thing. It never really materialized, but I always thought it would make for a compelling tale.

I suppose it's not possible, or someone would have done it by now.
Someone from the future??? If it becomes possible, and someone does it, would we even know the difference? Mind boggling,....:eusa_doh:

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Any summer Sunday in the late 1930s. I could bicycle over to Floyd Bennett Field and watch the planes take off in the morning. In the afternoon, I could catch the subway to Ebbets Field and watch the Dodgers play (and probably lose). At night, I could sit in the living room next to the RCA and listen to The Jell-o Show Starring Jack Benny.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A tough one

I've been thinking about a response for this one and it's too hard to pick!

If I could only observe, unseen:
Any fall day in 1927 spent at an Ivy League school.
Any day in the first decade when Theodore Roosevelt was giving a speech.
Any Yankees game when Babe Ruth was playing - not for the baseball but because it would be the perfect place to observe the Golden Era.
Well... :eek: Garbo's dressing room, 1934. I'm not stupid!

If I could be an active participant:
Summer of 1912, as a republican political boss. Keep Taft off the ticket.
Any day in a WWI trench with young Adolph - drop a grenade in his pants.
November 28, 1966 - Truman Capote's Black & White Ball.
Back to Garbo's dressing room! :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Being on a hill is not always a safe place;

Andykev said:
I would go to Hawaii on December 7, 1941. I would be on a hill away from the danger and watch the attack.

I assume you are suggesting that you are an observer, not a participant.

I would also watch June 6, 1944 in a safe place. D-Day.

Non, war related? I would watch Lindburg take off in the Spirit of ST. Louis.

Well, my Dad was on a hill watching the attack from the house he was living, that still didn't stop the Japanese from bombing civilian areas. Numerous streets in Kalihi, Palama and Liliha were bombed.
The Japanese zeros also attacked civilians on the plantations. My Aunt was riding in the back of a truck going to church in Haleiwa and had to dodge machine gun fire.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I'd drain my current lifesavings, and put it on a house, maybe on the West Coast. Real estate investment! Try telling someone back then that a teeny bungalow is worth $600,000+!

Not to take away from Viola's idea, but I'd go back to the 1930's and 1940's and start buying farmland around the Santa Clara Valley (Silicon) when it could be had for $40 and $50 an acre.:D

Story

I'll Lock Up
Section10 said:

What makes you think that someone didn't go back to kill a now-forgotten and unknown evil, and the person known as Adolf Hitler filled the subsequent void, nature abhorring a vacuum and all. [huh]

Any one remember the scene in that Claude Van Damme movie TIME COPS, where the one suspect got himself back in time to 1928 Wall Street? :D

Section10

One of the Regulars
Story said:
What makes you think that someone didn't go back to kill a now-forgotten and unknown evil, and the person known as Adolf Hitler filled the subsequent void, nature abhorring a vacuum and all. [huh]

Any one remember the scene in that Claude Van Damme movie TIME COPS, where the one suspect got himself back in time to 1928 Wall Street? :D

I suppose what makes me think it is that I don't believe in time travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael