Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One stop inspiration shop

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Of course I find the picture one second after I hit the submit button:rolleyes:
GeneT.jpg

cashun

New in Town
retromom147 said:
blackbook.jpg

-thumbnail.jpg

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how this actress got that lip? In the movie the color was thick and lush but when she kissed the lead actor it didn't budge. It didn't have the cakey look that our modern colorstay lipsticks do so I really want to know if the lip is done using vintage lipcolors or techniques. Just wondering.
P.S. Does anyone else think she is just gorgeous?

Yes I think this actress is absolutely gorgeous. Does anyone know who she is, and what movie this is from?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
HeyMambo said:
Hi, all...this topic is what finally made me de-lurk and sign up...

I was wondering if there was a way to "cheat" the Lauren wave with a curling iron? I am hopeless fumble-y with curlers. (And the less said about my pincurl talents, the better, really.)

Thanks.

I'm so glad you delurked! Welcome!

HeyMambo

New in Town
Thanks!

Thanks to both of you for the welcome! :)

Imoldfashioned - looks like we're both from the same neck of the woods.

Retromom - those Gene Tierney pics are just ridiculously beautiful. Actually the plan is to watch my new copy of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" with the fella and a nice glass of wine tonight!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
This is my favorite Lana Turner look--these are from that TCM special that Cheryl Crane hosted:

I'm finding Lana Turner hugely inspiring today too:
WhiteLaceDress-RooseveltsBirthdayBa.jpg

Unknown1.jpg

LanaMildredandCherylCherylYoung.jpg

Lanaontheradio.gif

Lanaontheradio2.gif

LanaandBeauDancingtheNightAway1.jpg

LanaandBabyCheryl-DirectorsChair.jpg

GlamourGirl-LanaGoesConservative.jpg

I wish I could even vaguely master even ONE of these do's!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
HeyMambo said:
Hi, all...this topic is what finally made me de-lurk and sign up...

I was wondering if there was a way to "cheat" the Lauren wave with a curling iron? I am hopeless fumble-y with curlers. (And the less said about my pincurl talents, the better, really.)

Thanks.
doll006.jpg

Do you mean something like this maybe? I did this with a curling iron. I had a curling technique that I'll have to take pictures of since it's hard to describe. It's like twisting your hair as you wrap it around the iron. If you want great results.....be sure to pin them once curled and take out after 15 min.

It'll look like this before you brush it out
doll.jpg

:eek:fftopic: Hi Retromom147:)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
RBD, I am soooooooooo glad you posted this! I have been working on a similar technique and it is just not working for me! I can't wait to see your pics so I can see what the heck I am doing wrong!lol It's beautiful!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
RBD, I am soooooooooo glad you posted this! I have been working on a similar technique and it is just not working for me! I can't wait to see your pics so I can see what the heck I am doing wrong!lol It's beautiful!

Neat. I'll try to get some pictures done tonight at school. Too bad I can't do video. I'll try my best to show the technique.

HeyMambo

New in Town
Retrobabydoll

Thanks for posting those great pics! I'll give the wrapping-around thing a try. Right now, I'm just using the curling iron and curling it in towards my face, taking it out carefully, holding the top bit in place and spraying the ever-livin' heck out of it. It kinda works, but I'm still not quite getting that fabulous, crisply-defined Lauren curl.

Looking forward to seeing your tutorial, if you get a chance to post it!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Ruth Hussey had a really nice updo in the movie Tender Comrade. I want to do something similar but can't find a picture. I alos liked it in The Philadelphia Story. Maybe I'll start there.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I tried to get photos, but it just doesn't show what I'm doing while wrapping the hair. Darn. I'll still post a picture just in case it helps. I just need to remember my camera to download the photo.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
It's like that a bit, but the hair is wrapped around the entire curling iron. I'll grab my camera during my break at work and try to get a picture up.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
RetroBabydoll, Do you use a special iron? And I am assuming you don't use the lip on the iron? I have a lipless iron and wrap around that, but I barely get any curl out of it. It gets awful hot too. I just know I'm doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure out what. I need instruction.:( lol

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Hey Red. There are irons with out the clamp, but I'm poor at the moment so I use an iron with a clamp. I set the iron medium usually and check how hot it's getting with my hand on the hair that's on the iron. Try holding the curl in your hand till it cools down so the curl can set or pin it while working on the rest of the head and take out later. I'm bummed because I asked people to help take photos for me demonstrating the curl and they wouldn't. :( I tried my best. Should be going to lunch soon so I'll grab my camera then to try to show.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
RetroBabydoll said:
Hey Red. There are irons with out the clamp, but I'm poor at the moment so I use an iron with a clamp. I set the iron medium usually and check how hot it's getting with my hand on the hair that's on the iron. Try holding the curl in your hand till it cools down so the curl can set or pin it while working on the rest of the head and take out later. I'm bummed because I asked people to help take photos for me demonstrating the curl and they wouldn't. :( I tried my best. Should be going to lunch soon so I'll grab my camera then to try to show.

Thanks RetroBabydoll! I'm going to try that. I still think I'm wrapping it incorrectly. I will have to give it another go here soon. BUmmer no one would help out and take pics for you!:( No worries, though, whenever you can.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner