Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One stop inspiration shop

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Tutorial for a nice wave

Take a curling iron ( 3/4" is best) and a section of hair (1 inch by 1 1/2 inch). Comb out the section your about to curl. Hold the hair and you wrap the section around the curling iron. It tends to naturally twist itself if you wrap the hair without letting the section go. Hope that makes sense. Here's a picture of the hair wrapped around the iron.
doll006-1.jpg

Closer look:
doll005.jpg

Clip in place to let it cool:
doll007.jpg

It looks like this once taken down from the clip:
doll009-1.jpg

Once all the sections are curled, pinned to cool down, and taken down.....looks like this:
doll-1.jpg

Brush out to get the wave effect throughout the hair:
doll002.jpg

Hope this helps

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I love it! thank you! I think I've been trying to get the strand straight, or maybe twisting it the opposite way. I'm gonna give it go again. Thanks for posting the pics! You're a doll!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
I love it! thank you! I think I've been trying to get the strand straight, or maybe twisting it the opposite way. I'm gonna give it go again. Thanks for posting the pics! You're a doll!

No problem. :D

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I think for shorter hair.....maybe a smaller barrel for the curling iron or try not to brush it out so much. You're welcome ladies.

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
To be honest I haven't got a specific inspiration for this one, i kinda experimented, so sorry for a lack of photo..

alisepsmall.jpg

I used sponge rollers, curling my hair under all the way round my head.

I also curled the fringe under too, but created a side parting.

I set it with Amami conditioning setting lotion on damp hair.

I slept with the rollers in overnight, simply took them out in the morning, brushed the fringe out to create a wave, left the curls as they were and used Shock Waves extreme hold hairspray.

Lasted 2 - 3 days :D

The lipstick is a Bourjois one, but the names worn off so i can't remember if its 'real' red or 'retro' red, eitherway i think theirs are gorgeous :D

SarahLouise

Practically Family
RetroBabydoll said:
Take a curling iron ( 3/4" is best) and a section of hair (1 inch by 1 1/2 inch). Comb out the section your about to curl. Hold the hair and you wrap the section around the curling iron. It tends to naturally twist itself if you wrap the hair without letting the section go. Hope that makes sense. Here's a picture of the hair wrapped around the iron.
doll006-1.jpg

Closer look:
doll005.jpg

Clip in place to let it cool:
doll007.jpg

It looks like this once taken down from the clip:
doll009-1.jpg

Once all the sections are curled, pinned to cool down, and taken down.....looks like this:
doll-1.jpg

Brush out to get the wave effect throughout the hair:
doll002.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks for this RetroBabyDoll! I have trouble with curling irons though as my hair just slips out of it as I twist but I shall try again to see if it works.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Thanks RetroBabyDoll! I use the curling iron 90% of the time b/c the hubby hates curler sets. I can't wait to try this tomorrow! :D :D

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ShortClara said:
Thanks RetroBabyDoll! I use the curling iron 90% of the time b/c the hubby hates curler sets. I can't wait to try this tomorrow! :D :D

Hope all goes well when you try it out. I haven't tried it on myself....but I hope to this weekend.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
RetroBabydoll said:
I think for shorter hair.....maybe a smaller barrel for the curling iron or try not to brush it out so much. You're welcome ladies.

Thanks again for posting the pics for this...I tried it out today, and really did a super fast job on it, as I was short on time, so I only did my sides. I actually did it right this time, and I figure out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to get the hair flat.. like a ribbon, or like you normally would when using an Iron, and the trick really is to let it twist itself. Somehow, that's what creates that great wave effect.

Anyhow, I liked it! Although I think it would look even better if my hair was not layered.

on another note, I kept burning my knuckle!! So thankfully I had my kevlar glove, (even though I think it is a blem, because I could still feel the heat rather easily:mad: )

But it helped to stop burning myself!:D

This is going to be fun to do on someone with nice long hair.. and even more so if it is not super thick. It will look beautiful!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
Thanks again for posting the pics for this...I tried it out today, and really did a super fast job on it, as I was short on time, so I only did my sides. I actually did it right this time, and I figure out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to get the hair flat.. like a ribbon, or like you normally would when using an Iron, and the trick really is to let it twist itself. Somehow, that's what creates that great wave effect.

Anyhow, I liked it! Although I think it would look even better if my hair was not layered.

on another note, I kept burning my knuckle!! So thankfully I had my kevlar glove, (even though I think it is a blem, because I could still feel the heat rather easily:mad: )

But it helped to stop burning myself!:D

This is going to be fun to do on someone with nice long hair.. and even more so if it is not super thick. It will look beautiful!

I'm so happy you were able to try it out. I want to get one of those gloves too.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Carole Landis has many neat hairstyles that I try to duplicate, but I don't have as much hair as her in the front so I have to change it a bit.

Landis11.jpg

The Shirt

Practically Family
DPD - Could you achieve something like that by using smaller hot rollers? I have a set of "spiral" hot rollers - about 1/2" dia. I roll everything as much as I can on the top of my head. I take them out 1 by 1 and pin them in place as I go along the front half. I pull the rest up in a french twist sort of thing for the back and then pin any strays up. Your hair definitely seems long enough to do it.

Of course then I throw a bandana on or stick a flower in to fill up the gaps.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
deadpandiva said:
25358_main_image.jpg

I'd love to be able to do something like this.

You could totally do that with a curling iron or small hot rollers like The Shirt said. And then a french twist in the back. I'd assume that's what it is in the back without seeing the other side. If you used a curling iron, you would start curling at the root and then you "click" the rest of the hair through, so that it all ends up in a little roll like that. I forget what they called it in beauty school.

ShortClara

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll said:
Hope all goes well when you try it out. I haven't tried it on myself....but I hope to this weekend.

I did a quick quick bit this morning - front sections and it turned out so nice! It's basically like a ghetto version of hot rollers with the pinning of the sections until they cool. THANKS!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ShortClara said:
I did a quick quick bit this morning - front sections and it turned out so nice! It's basically like a ghetto version of hot rollers with the pinning of the sections until they cool. THANKS!

I'm so happy to hear that. That's great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner