Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One stop inspiration shop

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Hey there ladies, hope all is glamorous. I just had an idea to help newcomers and everyone in the lounge. I was interested in starting a thread that had a pic of your current look and the products you used to get it. I would also like to have this thread to go to for pictures of the women who inspired your look. Mother's, Grandmother's, old film stars etc. Here's mine hope everyone joins in!:)

Hair: Motion's at home Foaming Wrap Lotion
Eyes: Lorac Evening Star
Lips: Revlon's Red Reinvented
100_4374.jpg

retromom147

One of the Regulars
blackbook.jpg

-thumbnail.jpg

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how this actress got that lip? In the movie the color was thick and lush but when she kissed the lead actor it didn't budge. It didn't have the cakey look that our modern colorstay lipsticks do so I really want to know if the lip is done using vintage lipcolors or techniques. Just wondering.
P.S. Does anyone else think she is just gorgeous?

Butterfield 8

New in Town
I'm always eager to check out period pieces to see how well they pull them off, it's pretty hit or miss with this era. That still from Black Book looks great and it gives me hope it'll all be as pleasant!

As for the my chosen hair I am making it my goal to get better acquainted with Lana Turner's hair methods. Her updos are perfect, and her longer flowing options are marvelous!! Here is my fave:

Lana_Turner_17.jpg

My hair is very curly...I'm talking Sarah Jessica Parker curly, not to mention I live in Texas- the humidity here is killer on the hair.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Butterfield 8 said:
I'm always eager to check out period pieces to see how well they pull them off, it's pretty hit or miss with this era. That still from Black Book looks great and it gives me hope it'll all be as pleasant!

:eek:fftopic: It is very ummm....real and very dark. Worse than most film noir I've seen. Carrie Van Houen does a great job though and it is very heartwrenching. Be warned, it's hard to find and it is graphic.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Butterfield 8 said:

As for the my chosen hair I am making it my goal to get better acquainted with Lana Turner's hair methods. Her updos are perfect, and her longer flowing options are marvelous!! Here is my fave:

Lana_Turner_17.jpg

My hair is very curly...I'm talking Sarah Jessica Parker curly, not to mention I live in Texas- the humidity here is killer on the hair.

I have curly hair too, though not as curly as yours. For me, this L Turner style is easy to recreate. What I would do is use a flat iron to straighten out my hair first, then I would spritz a bit of setting lotion to my hair and then set it with hotsticks or pillow rollers. Sleep with them over night and brush out in the morning. For me, the longest part of the ordeal would be the straightening. My hair is super thick and can take an hour to straighten. Setting with hot pillow curlers may take another 10 mins at most. So I do this right before bed and I am good.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, she is!

retromom147 said:
blackbook.jpg

-thumbnail.jpg

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how this actress got that lip? In the movie the color was thick and lush but when she kissed the lead actor it didn't budge. It didn't have the cakey look that our modern colorstay lipsticks do so I really want to know if the lip is done using vintage lipcolors or techniques. Just wondering.
In my opinion, no matter what kind, if you're kissing and the lipstick doesn't budge, you are not doing it right!
Probably they stopped the camera and fixed her lipstick, and/or she wasn't pressing very hard, no tongue etc.
I have never found a satisfactory stay-on lipstick - but testing them sure is fun!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
retromom147 said:
-thumbnail.jpg

Raises hand.

I ripped a publicity picture of her out of a magazine before I'd even heard of the film because I just love this makeup. The eyes and that oh-so-precise lipline. Someday I'll play around with replicating this one.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Nicole Kidman in The Others
others2.jpg

and Cold Mountain
coldm.jpg

Charlize Theron in The Cider House Rules
charlize_theron6.jpg

Simone Simon in Cat People
122909036_8270ea1ceb_o.jpg

cat-people.jpg

Myrna Loy in The Thin Man
thinman.jpg

Veronica Lake and Gene Tierney in real life.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Butterfield 8 said:

Lana_Turner_17.jpg

I agree. Quite frequently, I feel Lana has the perfect hair. I actually was freeze framing Johnny Eager! Also, I draw hair inspiration from the Wilde Twins
wilde28.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
See my avatar.
For the hair I used Moitions Foaming Wrap Lotion and Goody brand pillow rollers.
The lipstick is Avon:Vino Royal

For the hair I used to try to get it too look like Lana's in this photo.
LanaTurner.jpg

But recently I have been loving Vivien's pre GWTW look.
Vivien_Leigh_22.jpg

retromom147

One of the Regulars
OH that is so gorgeous! I love that look on Lana Turner. My hair is roughly that length when curled and I even part on that side! I'm going to try it soon!
Thanks for the pics Miss Brill!!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Guh! Lana looks stunning in those screenshots--I think she was at the height of her beauty in the early '40s.

Ever since I first saw her I've coveted Lauren Bacall's hair. She has that perfect wave by her eye and it's so thick and gorgeous. If I could get mine (once it grows out again, of course!) to look even close to hers I'd die a happy woman.

bacall2.jpg

lblife.jpg

bacall.jpg

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
I love Lauren Bacall's hair too--and it is such an easy style to copy.
Oooh please tell me how you duplicate that look....I would love to try it one day. I really like that curl/wave by her eye...gorgeous woman.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I always used Clairol Benders & would get waves rather than curls, so I think your curlers are the key. I've never really cared for big rollers, they don't curl/wave me very much, so I use more hair on my rollers to get waves. The great thing about bendables is you don't get that line from the curler. I also never set my hair in a formal pattern, I'd just mess around until I got it to look how I wanted, then keep doing it that way.

HeyMambo

New in Town
Lauren Bacall hair?

Hi, all...this topic is what finally made me de-lurk and sign up...

I was wondering if there was a way to "cheat" the Lauren wave with a curling iron? I am hopeless fumble-y with curlers. (And the less said about my pincurl talents, the better, really.)

Thanks.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
I've just found my inspiration for my summer look! Hooray!
GT22.jpg

GT16.jpg

These are both images of Gene Tierney. She also has a great updo and I'll post that when I find where I put the pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner