Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions: Legendary Brand Buco J-24 D-Pocket H.H.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
In terms of how well the jacket is made, build quality, they are both made by Schott so it's the same, ditto for the horsehide.
I like the legendary better because it's a bit different compared to the 618 which has been copied by everyone your going to have a jacket that is not so common.
The legendary is not an exact buco copy like a lost worlds which costs way more but is still an authentic looking old style jacket.
In terms of the history and the look of the jackets they both where pretty common styles in their day so if you want a vintage look not really any difference.
The 618 is still made to the original sizing so is a smaller fit in the same size, I'm 5 7" with a 33 1/2 waist and have a 40 in the 618 and the legendary.
The 618 is just slightly tight around the waist and it would be be a tight fit if I tried to wear a sweater underneath.
The legendary is cut bigger but not loose fittng or blousy.

Last edited:

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I appreciate your input. I believe this is my next leather jacket. I also want a B-10 before the weather turns cold.

On April 27, 1943, Type A-2 was declared Limited Standard, meaning that only replacements for in-service units could be ordered. New units would now be supplied with cloth-shelled jackets such as Types B-10 and B-15.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
Many cafe racers from schott and buco have short arms because they were meant to be worn with long riding gloves. The schott caf-1 is a more modern cut with longer sleeves. Look for fit description on those.
the legendary 44 is 25.5" arm which is ave but this is slim fit so I would size up. The legendary brand is made by schott for that retailer. This brand and Schott was also using a cardboard like backer to make the horsehide appear thicker although I believe schott has since discontinued the practice. I would call to make sure this does not have the glued backer but I suspect it is because of the price.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I contacted Legendary using the live online chat option. The response was, their was a backing they no longer use to even out the hides.
Regarding a discount: if you like them on your Face Book account, you will get monthly discount codes mailed to you including ten percent off.
If anyone has or receives the current code please PM me. I think I would pull the trigger.

Last edited:

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
The jacket arrived and I really liked it. It's hard to admit, I was a little skeptical regarding the accuracy of the company's sizing chart.
The Schott website says for a 618, order one size larger.
In their case, I know I need TWO SIZES LARGER.
Therefore, Legendary says, " order your actual size".
My thought was, order only one size larger.
Well it was too big.
So now I am returning the jacket for my actual size (which is what their website says) The under-arm footballs and bi-swing back provide plenty of extra room reaching the motorcycle handlebars. I will update upon receipt of my new jacket.

Last edited:

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Legendary Website Jacket Description:

Let's Set the Record Straight!
For those Customers shopping for a Buco Replica Horsehide Leather Motorcycle Jacket, there is much hype on other websites about what is "correct" and what is not. For those who may have contacted other companies for their rationale about their high price, and were subjected to the rambling elitist diatribe, you have our sympathy. We would like to set the record straight. We like to think of it this way - a $95K Mercedes Benz S550 may be considered the ultimate in quality and luxury, until you compare it to a $67K Lexus LS460 which has won several JD Power Awards. Sure the Lexus is less, but does it mean it's less in quality? Would your ego feel better if Lexus charged $30K more for the same car?

Sure there are differences between ours and theirs. We've had actual Customers of theirs purchase the higher priced item, sell it on eBay and BUY OURS! Why? Better fit for them. We offer underarm gussets with vent grommets which allow more freedom of movement when raising arms or reaching forward. This is a plus - especially for riders with ape-hanger handlebars. The original Bucos did not offer this, nor does our competition.

Our Horsehide is tanned in Italy, a country well known for their leather tanning process, and where horsehide is more plentiful than in the US. We use chrome tanned leather. Our jacket will last not for years, but decades! One of our Customers considered the Black Stallion "heirloom quality" - we'd have to agree!

Our Legendary Black Stallion includes a fully removeable horsehide belt with belt keepers - no extra charge! We use USA made hardware (zippers, snaps, decorative trim, etc.) while our die-cast nickel-plated brass buckle is made in Canada. We use USA made nickel plated domed bar studs on epaulets. Customers can also purchase additional USA made studs and spots on our website in our Accessories category. We use antique brass zippers for that vintage look, rather than regular brass which would take a while to tarnish and blend in with jacket. We offer horsehide leather zipper pulls on all zippers.

We use heavy nylon stitching in our garments, approx. 7 stitches per inch. We believe others use 8 stitches per inch, which takes slightly longer to sew and is closer to the original. Does one stitch per inch make a difference? You be the judge.

Our Legendary Black Stallion is union made in Elizabeth, New Jersey under contract by Schott NYC - a leader in the outerwear garment industry. They have been in business since 1913 and have been creating motorcycle jackets since 1928! It is the parnership of Schott and Beck® that introduced the world to the quintessential "biker jacket". Their experience in outerwear garment manufacturing is second to none, and have a rich heritage in motorcycle apparel. So when comparing the pedigree of the Legendary Black Stallion to the others, there is no comparison!

Ours is not an exact replica, nor do we market it as such. Guess what - there is NO SUCH THING as an exact Buco replica. If you want an exact garment, buy a genuine Buco. We have sized our jackets to be fuller cut to fit todays Customer, not the riders of yesteryear who were smaller in dimensions.

We hope the above details were able to guide you in your purchase. The choice is yours - Lexus or Mercedes? But don't take our word for it - we're partial of course. Read actual Customer Reviews on the Legendary Black Stallion below.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
One quick observation, the zipper pull was stamped "Schott NY". It was clear Lengendary USA wasn't making any bones about who was manufacturing the jacket for them. It made me wonder why, Schott wasn't marketing their own form of the Buco D-pocket as well?

One quick observation, the zipper pull was stamped "Schott NY". It was clear Lengendary USA wasn't making any bones about who was manufacturing the jacket for them. It made me wonder why, Schott wasn't marketing their own form of the Buco D-pocket as well?
Pretty sure factories - which is what Schott is in this situation - have agreements to not compete on designs or items they make for others.This is very common, not just in the jacket world. Schott make jackets for a lot of companies that want a US-made product without having to build their own factory. They make a solid product, so I think any of their gear is a good buy - although I got all my Schott gear from sales or closeouts or eBay as I think their retail prices are way too close to customs, or used customs.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Yes, I contacted the seller, he stated he decided to keep it. I think he had cold feet seeing minimal bidding and no reserve. I believe it would bring around 375-425 in the end. It was a reasonable size for a man and they don't come up for sale often. What do think strokes?

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
A update: my jacket arrived and I couldn't be happier.
The jacket was true to size w/o guessing what to add or subtract.
The horsehide is superb.
As for the stitching, it is symmetrical and correctly spaced; as should be expected.
I see no imperfections in the the leather. I have owned a schott and imho. this is better! Plus a lifetime warranty. Who else offers that? I will offer pictures tomorrow. Maybe later.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner