Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on a black A-2?

Ekphrastic

New in Town
Found a great A-2 style jacket on eBay. Only thing? It's black. I like A2 jackets, I like black jackets, but I've never really seen the two together. I'm on the fence about it--opinions? Thanks!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got one. Guess what? It's a jacket - it fits - it's warm - it goes with black jeans - I like it. I wouldn't care at all what someone else's opinion of it is. Buy it if you like it, wear it with pride and with confidence. There are no A2 police in real life!

-dixon cannon

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I had one Custom Made from U.S. Authentic. I added Dark Berry knits from Aero in Scotland and a Squadron Patch from Siggy here in the lounge. It's my black "go to" jacket. I think I know the jacket you're referring to. Back off... it's mine!!!! :rage: Just kiddin'!

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've had a black "Civil" A-2 from Gibson & Barnes for almost 12 years. It is unquestionably my most frequently worn leather jacket, since my wardrobe is mostly black, blue and gray, not the earthtones that match my brown leather jackets.

Okay, so it's not a proper repro of an issued jacket... but I have a Good Wear Dubow to fill that role. Most of the time, my black A-2 just looks better with what I'm wearing, and the extra pockets are darn useful.

As long as you're not pretending that it's an actual military issued jacket, I don't see a problem. The classic look of the A-2 in basic black: what's not to like?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've had a black "Civil" A-2 from Gibson & Barnes for almost 12 years. It is unquestionably my most frequently worn leather jacket, since my wardrobe is mostly black, blue and gray, not the earthtones that match my brown leather jackets.

Okay, so it's not a proper repro of an issued jacket... but I have a Good Wear Dubow to fill that role. Most of the time, my black A-2 just looks better with what I'm wearing, and the extra pockets are darn useful.

As long as you're not pretending that it's an actual military issued jacket, I don't see a problem. The classic look of the A-2 in basic black: what's not to like?

So true, Doctor. And remember there's a venerable history of civilian A2 inspired jackets with extra pockets and different colours that goes right back the the days when A2's were originally made.

Windward

Practically Family
A few years ago I've ordered an A-2 in vintage black FQHH from AERO - and it looked just amazing, unfortunately way too short and had to send it back.
But still playing with idea to have a black A-2.
It will be look like this:

just fine because I am also into khaki pants (Bills Khakis)

Last edited:

mihai

A-List Customer
I have a black A2 in FQHH from Lost Worlds. Leaving aside the historical hype with brown/russet colored jackets, I think that black leather is elegant and provides a distinguished look. Considering also the military pattern of A2, in my opinion it looks great. I will try to get a picture with my LW A2.
I also have 2 custom-made Grizzly type jackets: in black FQHH and B+W horse fur instead of mutton and black cowhide with Brown+W horse fur. The B+W one is by far my favorite and also I received the most compliments for it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner