Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Anyone put their order in for the new Optimo book? To be release in April. Not a bad price and it looks good. I will pull the trigger in the next few days. Can't afford the hat but can spring for the book!!
I'd like to have some more info on the book (size, pagecount and such) before I order one. I still think $125 isn't exactly cheap for a book (not counting shipping costs and import charges). Their website doesn't say.
His hats look great, but way out of my ballpark. I do hope that hatbrush for $1395 is Graham's little inside joke.

I'd like to have some more info on the book (size, pagecount and such) before I order one. I still think $125 isn't exactly cheap for a book (not counting shipping costs and import charges). Their website doesn't say.
His hats look great, but way out of my ballpark. I do hope that hatbrush for $1395 is Graham's little inside joke.

I’m on the fence. It’s not cheap, but I’d spring for it if it was the perfect reference book.

I like Optimo’s finishes and build quality, but I have yet to have one pass through my hands with blocking I like. The pricing means I’ll never order one new, but I keep an eye out for them on the used market. I can also say the three 7 ⅝ hats of theirs I’ve had all were too tight on me. I might be waiting a long time for a 7 ¾ or 7 ⅞.

https://optimo.com/products/the-art-of-the-hatmaker

Melusine long hair beaver

F212FE6B-CDBC-42DA-B9E5-44DA523990C0.jpeg

1DCBC106-8173-4A8D-9567-77E9D7BB35EF.jpeg

159D9869-AA5E-4CE9-8997-8E81665403E1.jpeg

5BA336BD-4940-4C45-9A25-1F57FA303F2E.jpeg

A764DAC8-0DCA-4996-B6E0-B625A9FAC49F.jpeg

Would you venture a critique?
When I first unboxed it yesterday my first impression was that the Melusine felt is heavier than the 100X. And it very well could be slightly heavier; I don’t have an accurate electronic set of scales to weigh them for a comparison. The Melusine is very dense but not thicker than a finely pounced 100X. So if it is slightly heavier than 100X it is probably due to the density. I don’t notice any difference in weight now in hand or on my head.

It is so very soft both in crease ability & the hand. The hand & finish is much softer than a cashmere or mohair sweater was back in the day. It ironed very well using a damp ironing cloth. One word of note: the ironing cloth I was using was an old dish towel with a single thread of a decoration still on it. A line was ironed into the nap from just that one single thread in the towel, but a hat brush brushed the line out of the nap. That’s how soft the hand is.

After ironing with just the damp cloth towel to round up the top I was able to crease & pinch the crown to my liking without using any additional steam. I have worn it out tonight & for several hours without having to set the crease by steaming it. I may have to set it in time to come; that remains to be seen.

The Melusine is the blackest of any black hat I own, yet has a wonderful sheen to it that is hard to photograph. I have no idea if it is offered in colors other than black. If so I would love to see a white or silver with this kind of sheen.

When I first unboxed it yesterday my first impression was that the Melusine felt is heavier than the 100X. And it very well could be slightly heavier; I don’t have an accurate electronic set of scales to weigh them for a comparison. The Melusine is very dense but not thicker than a finely pounced 100X. So if it is slightly heavier than 100X it is probably due to the density. I don’t notice any difference in weight now in hand or on my head.

It is so very soft both in crease ability & the hand. The hand & finish is much softer than a cashmere or mohair sweater was back in the day. It ironed very well using a damp ironing cloth. One word of note: the ironing cloth I was using was an old dish towel with a single thread of a decoration still on it. A line was ironed into the nap from just that one single thread in the towel, but a hat brush brushed the line out of the nap. That’s how soft the hand is.

After ironing with just the damp cloth towel to round up the top I was able to crease & pinch the crown to my liking without using any additional steam. I have worn it out tonight & for several hours without having to set the crease by steaming it. I may have to set it in time to come; that remains to be seen.

The Melusine is the blackest of any black hat I own, yet has a wonderful sheen to it that is hard to photograph. I have no idea if it is offered in colors other than black. If so I would love to see a white or silver with this kind of sheen.
Thank you! I am very curious about Optimo having never held one in my hands. One day I will get to Chicago and make the trek to see them.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
So are they making their own bodies or sourcing them?

Not that it takes away from the quality but I I thought I heard Graham briefly mention it. I don’t know what he was trying to say in regards to it.

Not that it takes away from the quality but I I thought I heard Graham briefly mention it. I don’t know what he was trying to say in regards to it.
If you are referring to Optimo felts they use FEPSA. Graham claims they commission special felts from FEPSA only available to Optimo, made from predominantly belly fur of the beaver. I have never held an Optimo so cannot comment on quality. There are members here that love them, swear by them and others that think them overpriced.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

So Optimo has gone through a few iterations. My hat is old enough that it's a beaver/rabbit blend. Though IIRC, I think they were using wild furs. Then they switched to beaver. Then they introduced their true Silverbelly. The felt color takes its name from the lighter colored fur that appears on the belly of some beavers. So Optimo uses only the natural, undyed belly fur for Silverbelly. A modern version of 'Clear Beaver.' Their colored felts are now those silverbelly bodies that have been dyed. So they're using what traditionally has been considered the best part of the beaver pelt for almost all their hats (looks like melusine is just listed as 'beaver').

Last edited:

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
So Optimo has gone through a few iterations. My hat is old enough that it's a beaver/rabbit blend. Though IIRC, I think they were using wild furs. Then they switched to beaver. Then they introduced their true Silverbelly. The felt color takes its name from the lighter colored fur that appears on the belly of some beavers. So Optimo uses only the natural, undyed belly fur for Silverbelly. A modern version of 'Clear Beaver.' Their colored felts are now those silverbelly bodies that have been dyed. So they're using what traditionally has been considered the best part of the beaver pelt for almost all their hats (looks like melusine is just listed as 'beaver').
From my understanding you start off with beaver as default felt.

I did not know that in reference to the silver belly color. Geez you just ruined it for me. I won’t get that color unless it is from the belly then. Interesting. I’m assuming the silver belly color would involve nothing but belly fur?

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Hard to tell quality from just pictures. The only thing that would set Optimo apart from the many custom hat makers that sell hats for much less than half the Optimo price would be in the felt and that has to be seen and touched in the flesh.
Yea but I like to see the hats in various colors and condition. I can then gauge how the hats will or can age.

glider

A-List Customer
If I would ever reach a point where I had so much money I didn't really know how much I had, [most of you know what I mean] I would probably have some Optimo hats. At that point it wouldn't matter if they are worth the squeeze!!!!

Reactions: RBH

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
If I would ever reach a point where I had so much money I didn't really know how much I had, [most of you know what I mean] I would probably have some Optimo hats. At that point it wouldn't matter if they are worth the squeeze!!!!
No.

You can afford it and you know it. It just seems outrageous for a hat.

I’m getting one but I have to see when I can fly to Chicago.

Me too. I may still end up buying one but need to go to Chicago to see it and feel it in person. Maybe if I changed my name to "Optimo" they would give me a discount. Kinda like naming rights for an arena or stadium!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider