Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Me too. I may still end up buying one but need to go to Chicago to see it and feel it in person. Maybe if I changed my name to "Optimo" they would give me a discount. Kinda like naming rights for an arena or stadium!

If I ended up in Chicago, there's a good chance I'd leave with another. Poor impulse control! Looking online from afar I can convince myself "that's too much for a hat," but I am so curious about the silver beaver bodies. AFAIK, FEPSA doesn't sell those to other hatters.

Just for fun I pulled up an inflation calculator, and buying a Stetson 100 in 1950 is equivalent to $1,300 today.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
After that I’m most likely to get rid of all my hats and keep some of the old Borsalinos and call it a day.
Just for fun I pulled up an inflation calculator, and buying a Stetson 100 in 1950 is equivalent to $1,300 today.
Thank you for this.

Now I may justify two hats when I can finally visit the shop.

If I ended up in Chicago, there's a good chance I'd leave with another. Poor impulse control! Looking online from afar I can convince myself "that's too much for a hat," but I am so curious about the silver beaver bodies. AFAIK, FEPSA doesn't sell those to other hatters.

I agree with you about the felt. I read in one of Graham's posts that the felt is belly fur for all his colours and it is a felt designed in collaboration with FEPSA. That is why I want to hold one in my hands. I have a Winchester beaver/mink blend that I cannot tell the difference between it and 100% beaver. But then I imagine the mink content in minimal. I also have an Usst beaver/chinchilla blend. It is quite nice but not spectacular.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Optimo hats are a bargain when compared to Butch Dorer’s pure silver beaver belly westerns. Granted … the jewelry makes up a good portion of that $25K starting price.

https://www.thebillionairemagazine.com/ButchDorer

http://www.butchdorerhats.com/Silver Beaver.html

I’m still a used hat kinda guy. I’ve only bought two new hats. I do have a Dorer though— albeit just a plain old pure beaver.

I sold my only Optimo.
At that point they are selling jewelry and not hats.

What is your opinion on Optimo?

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
If I ended up in Chicago, there's a good chance I'd leave with another.
Just got back from a trip to Chicago to specifically have Graham take a look at the fit of my two Optimos and I knew there was a greater than 50% chance I'd walk out with another. Sure enough I walked out with a new one that I am extremely pleased with. Also, can't speak highly enough of the outcome with the other two that I left in his care.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Just got back from a trip to Chicago to specifically have Graham take a look at the fit of my two Optimos and I knew there was a greater than 50% chance I'd walk out with another. Sure enough I walked out with a new one that I am extremely pleased with. Also, can't speak highly enough of the outcome with the other two that I left in his care.
So I take it you love them. Thinking about taking the plunge sometime in the new year.

How do they feel?

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
So I take it you love them. Thinking about taking the plunge sometime in the new year.

How do they feel?
The new one, and every single hat that I looked at in the store were beautiful. The felt, the lining, everything felt fantastic. They need to be seen in person. Graham was there alone but was patient and generous with his time and obviously passionate about his craft.

Optimo hats are a bargain when compared to Butch Dorer’s pure silver beaver belly westerns. Granted … the jewelry makes up a good portion of that $25K starting price.

https://www.thebillionairemagazine.com/ButchDorer

http://www.butchdorerhats.com/Silver Beaver.html

I’m still a used hat kinda guy. I’ve only bought two new hats. I do have a Dorer though— albeit just a plain old pure beaver.

I sold my only Optimo.
I just bought a damn new car for less than that!

I received my Christmas present; Graham Thompson's "The Art of the Hatmaker". It is a wonderful book. Understandingly it is all about the art of Graham the hatmaker and his story. The quality of the book; the photography, the paper, the overall presentation, is outstanding. At $150 it is pricey but it was my Christmas indulgence.
Graham does a great job at 'selling the sizzle' of Optimo hats. I suspect there is a healthy dose of hype in how he frames many of the steps in his process. But it is his book so he gets to tell the story. I now have a legit coffee table book on my coffee table.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
I received my Christmas present; Graham Thompson's "The Art of the Hatmaker". It is a wonderful book. Understandingly it is all about the art of Graham the hatmaker and his story. The quality of the book; the photography, the paper, the overall presentation, is outstanding. At $150 it is pricey but it was my Christmas indulgence.
Graham does a great job at 'selling the sizzle' of Optimo hats. I suspect there is a healthy dose of hype in how he frames many of the steps in his process. But it is his book so he gets to tell the story. I now have a legit coffee table book on my coffee table.
His book was my Christmas present a year ago from my wife! I agree that he does a great job of "selling the sizzle" but I think it is also the passion coming through. My wife and I were there two weeks ago and spent at least 40 minutes mainly discussing fit/style of some hats I wasn't completely thrilled with. He was personable and professional throughout all of that, and at the end we started looking through "The Art of the Hatmaker" and an architecture book that showed the factory (very cool!) - his demeanor lit up and all of that passion for his craft really shone through.

His book was my Christmas present a year ago from my wife! I agree that he does a great job of "selling the sizzle" but I think it is also the passion coming through. My wife and I were there two weeks ago and spent at least 40 minutes mainly discussing fit/style of some hats I wasn't completely thrilled with. He was personable and professional throughout all of that, and at the end we started looking through "The Art of the Hatmaker" and an architecture book that showed the factory (very cool!) - his demeanor lit up and all of that passion for his craft really shone through.
A trip to Chicago is in the works for next spring. Primary reason is to visit Optimo. Not crazy about most of his styles but I am thinking it will be easy to convince me to bite on one their Lords hats.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
A trip to Chicago is in the works for next spring. Primary reason is to visit Optimo. Not crazy about most of his styles but I am thinking it will be easy to convince me to bite on one their Lords hats.
It was my primary reason for going as well. I suspected I wouldn't be able to leave without purchasing one and I wasn't wrong. Absolutely thrilled with the hat I walked out of there with and wore around town the rest of the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner