Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
What is a good area of the city in which to stay. Central, nice walking area, good eats, bars etc.
We stayed at the IHG Continental on Michigan Avenue. Pretty central for walking or quick taxi trips (taxis much better than the Ubers). Didn't try out the subway or buses but they seem to be convenient to the hotel. Egg Harbor Cafe for a good $$ breakfast and we enjoyed Volare $$$ for dinner.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
Which model/colour did you buy?
It's a one-off Hyde/Chicago fedora style. The colour is similar to cement/bedrock in smooth classic weight. Being there is so very different than trying to buy online. He had this one on the shelf and a lot of others. This one just worked for me. He also had a new colour that isn't even online (beautiful indigo). He's going to do some work on my Mundo and Chicago as well to trim the brims down. I highly recommend the in person visit.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I visited a few years ago (pre-covid). Some very nice hats, indeed, but the sticker shock was enough to make me walk away without making a purchase. I guess I'll have to keep searching the used market.

It was my primary reason for going as well. I suspected I wouldn't be able to leave without purchasing one and I wasn't wrong. Absolutely thrilled with the hat I walked out of there with and wore around town the rest of the trip.

It's a one-off Hyde/Chicago fedora style. The colour is similar to cement/bedrock in smooth classic weight. Being there is so very different than trying to buy online. He had this one on the shelf and a lot of others. This one just worked for me. He also had a new colour that isn't even online (beautiful indigo). He's going to do some work on my Mundo and Chicago as well to trim the brims down. I highly recommend the in person visit.
I agree, if I am going to drop a couple of grand on a hat I better be able to touch it.

thevolunteer

New in Town
I mentioned this in passing in a longer post elsewhere but wanted to follow up here to see if anyone could shed any light. Can anyone who owns a Mundo confirm what the actual crown height is? Is it really 4" as Optimo says? Seems wildly low to me, and I can't figure out how that would leave room for creasing. Feel like I must be misunderstanding something.

Attachments

• Optimo mundo.png
    Optimo mundo.png
    470.8 KB · Views: 49

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
I mentioned this in passing in a longer post elsewhere but wanted to follow up here to see if anyone could shed any light. Can anyone who owns a Mundo confirm what the actual crown height is? Is it really 4" as Optimo says? Seems wildly low to me, and I can't figure out how that would leave room for creasing. Feel like I must be misunderstanding something.
I'll measure mine when I get it back from them, but that measurement does seem too low (perhaps it's from the top of the ribbon?). I've never had an issue with putting a crease in and having it look weird.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
Unfortunately nothing else in the pictures to give scale, but maybe it will help.

Attachments

• IMG-3026.jpg
    IMG-3026.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-3027.jpg
    IMG-3027.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-3030.jpg
    IMG-3030.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 48
It would have to be 4" at the crease. Not even a pork pie starts out with a 4" open crown.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
It would have to be 4" at the crease. Not even a pork pie starts out with a 4" open crown.
Just got mine back and it's 4" at the crease. Unfortunately when I said in an earlier post that I was happy with the outcome of my visit, I was referring to the outcome of how Graham was going to handle my concerns. The final outcome is 50/50 - they trimmed the brim, but didn't resize so it is still too large for me. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement, especially as the main purpose of the trip was to solve this. I'm alternating between anger and disbelief, but definitely don't want to deal with them again. Might be a Mundo in 59 worn less than three times and fresh from Optimo for sale soon.

Edit: the other hat was resized and fits, but the lighter ribbon we discussed wasn't done and he stuck a feather in it when we specifically laughed about not wanting a feather. I know the feather is no big deal, but it speaks to the lack of attention to what we agreed.

Last edited:
Just got mine back and it's 4" at the crease. Unfortunately when I said in an earlier post that I was happy with the outcome of my visit, I was referring to the outcome of how Graham was going to handle my concerns. The final outcome is 50/50 - they trimmed the brim, but didn't resize so it is still too large for me. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement, especially as the main purpose of the trip was to solve this. I'm alternating between anger and disbelief, but definitely don't want to deal with them again. Might be a Mundo in 59 worn less than three times and fresh from Optimo for sale soon.

Edit: the other hat was resized and fits, but the lighter ribbon we discussed wasn't done and he stuck a feather in it when we specifically laughed about not wanting a feather. I know the feather is no big deal, but it speaks to the lack of attention to what we agreed.
I am gobsmacked at your experience. I would like to think that if I were to buy a premium product that is costing at least 3 times that of comparable products I would receive service about and beyond expectations. I am now rethinking my thoughts of travelling to Chicago to receive the "Optimo" experience.

My advice right now...if you see one you like and can walk out with it, great. Otherwise, hard pass.
I am leaning now to buying one from Rodney Allison at NorthValley Hats. He offers a beaver belly fur for about $400 less than Optimo and he has been making hats for 35+ years now. As well, I can travel to Salem OR by car and save a ton of money......although won't get to include a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
I am gobsmacked at your experience. I would like to think that if I were to buy a premium product that is costing at least 3 times that of comparable products I would receive service about and beyond expectations. I am now rethinking my thoughts of travelling to Chicago to receive the "Optimo" experience.
The experience in the store was fantastic (though it was 20 minutes of discussion of the fit where he insisted it was fine and I disagreed). I walked out with a hat that I absolutely love and the feeling that the two I left would soon be revised to exactly what I wanted. I'm still swinging between anger and disappointment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails