Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does Optimo have a style with a tapered crown? I have a pretty narrow jaw, so crowns that look somewhat squarish (front view) don't really fit my face. I need something that isn't too high (which shouldn't be a problem since I can request for a shorter crown), but I more importantly something with a tapered look.

Borsalinos except the Alessandria tend to have tapered crowns, markedly so.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Borsalinos except the Alessandria tend to have tapered crowns, markedly so.
I have two Borsalinos, both with a tapered crown and I love them. But, Optimo seems to have the better hats, quality wise. Hence, the desire to have a tapered Optimo.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Got a mail today saying the Optimo site has been updated, with new "3D" photos - got to say I`m hard pressed to see any differences though...

I`m also amused by the comment in the FAQ that you can order a custom for the same price "for now" of an off the shelf...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Got a mail today saying the Optimo site has been updated, with new "3D" photos - got to say I`m hard pressed to see any differences though...

I`m also amused by the comment in the FAQ that you can order a custom for the same price "for now" of an off the shelf...

I got it, too. I wonder if they sent the email before the actual update kicked in... The off the shelf comment has been there for a while. Perhaps stock hats were priced less before?... who knows. My new Optimo should arrive tomorrow!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got off the phone with Graham & he said that starting in September with the new run of felts the price goes up to $650. He justified it by stating that fur prices are up. He also stated that 25% of his new felts are going to be of the 1000 variety made from 100% underbelly beaver fur.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Will a 1000 still be a 1000, or will it be an 1100 now? If it's not going to change, it would seem crazy to throw $650 at a hat and not go the extra $350 to get the very best.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I just got off the phone with Graham & he said that starting in September with the new run of felts the price goes up to $650. He justified it by stating that fur prices are up. He also stated that 25% of his new felts are going to be of the 1000 variety made from 100% underbelly beaver fur.
It seems that Optimos will become a lot more exclusive now. Worth it for the very best though.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
There is no chance in hell that I am going to pay $650 for a fedora. I would rather just get a raw western weight beaver body from Winchester & have Optimo make the hat out of that.

I don't blame you. $650 is a big sum. Are they worth it?, undoubtedly yes, I'd say, but money these days is tight, the economy is uncertain and I guess most of us have other expenses and priorities. I didn't pay for the Optimo I have arriving tomorrow, my wife did (She lost the bet but I still bought her the iPad she wanted ;)) both of us agreed that these two purchases will be the last big ones for a long while. I wonder if this price increase will slow Graham's business...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wonder if this price increase will slow Graham's business...
I'm sure it will have a negative effect though how much would just be a guess. Raising your prices in the middle of a recession is off-putting to many people even if they can easily afford the increase, kind of like a matter of principle. I know of several restaurants and bars that have suffered a drop in business after raising their prices this last year or two. I think you have to be very confident (arrogant?) about your product/service to make that move at this time.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Raising your prices in the middle of a recession is off-putting to many people even if they can easily afford the increase, kind of like a matter of principle. I know of several restaurants and bars that have suffered a drop in business after raising their prices this last year or two. I think you have to be very confident (arrogant?) about your product/service to make that move at this time.

I can understand this sentiment, but would contend that I would much rather pay more for maintaining/improving quality standards during this time of economic downturn, rather than accepting a compromise in quality and holding the line on cost.

I would think that Graham is well aware of the gravity of his decision, and would not proceed without due deliberation.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I can understand this sentiment, but would contend that I would much rather pay more for maintaining/improving quality standards during this time of economic downturn, rather than accepting a compromise in quality and holding the line on cost.

I would think that Graham is well aware of the gravity of his decision, and would not proceed without due deliberation.

I agree. As I said earlier, the quality is what makes this hats this valuable. I don't think there's arrogance on Graham's part. If you've ever met the guy you know how laid back and humble he is. There's an art aspect to his craft and, as a visual artist myself, I know that the price of the materials you use sometimes drives you to ask a little more for a painting.
As Al said it, maintaining and improving is costly.
Perhaps his stock hats will be priced less...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
From Tiffani:

"The price of our hats are increasing about $45 or so except for the heirloom weight hats [those are the 1000s] due to increases in fur prices and the quality of our felt improving, however we are more than pleased to say that now all of our hats no matter the color are 100% pure beaver. Even the heirloom weights are now all belly fur of the beaver. I've had a chance to start examining the ones that had made their way in already and the colors are so much more rich and creamier. They're amazing. The starting price will now be $650 for the felt and as of now the straw will stay the same.

I have had no word of a new site as of yet, but the new colors will be debuting mid September after they all have arrived. I guessing about the same week as the trunk show."

I asked her what would then be the difference between the 1000s and the "regular" ones since everything is now 100% beaver. I'm waiting to hear back.
BTW my new hat just arrived. I'll post pictures after I finish drooling!

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It sounds like the difference in price will be due to the difference in the quality of fur. I remember that rlk posted a price chart of something like 4 or 5 grades of beaver fur. I suspect the name change is due to the price change in the 1000 that is probably forthcoming. It seems odd to call a hat a 1000 and charge 1000+ for it. The famous vintage makers all ran into the same problem.

Now, let's see those pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner